PDA

View Full Version : My web + your imput I hope

MountainViewGreenskeeper
11-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Ive had my site for about 6 months now but was only able to work on it in the first 2-3 weeks before things got busy. Now that I have some more time on my hands I want to change a few things and it is still not finished but would like your guys imput on what should be changed.

Take into account I have little to ZERO experience and would like as much imput as you can with possible fixes for the harder stuff. Maybe its shear dumb luck but Im on the first page on a few catagories in my area but thats not good enough for me. So aside from paying for a service I will bust my butt on this till I get it where I want it.

So without further adieu this is Mountain View Greenskeeper's yard care (http://www.mountainviewgreenskeeper.com/Home.php)website.

Steve
11-14-2010, 03:31 AM
The site looks good.

Something I was thinking about as I was looking at it was, can you get your blog on your domain?

Maybe use wordpress?

If you have the option to, it might work out a lot better for you. You could even make your own theme with it and have your website built using the wordpress.

picframer
11-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Looks great to me, I might consider increasing the font size for the title of each catagory, add a few pics of your work, maybe some equipment pics etc.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
11-14-2010, 12:38 PM
I dont know much about word press so I will have to look into that. On top of that I would probably need another page witch 5 is my limit right now.

Looks great to me, I might consider increasing the font size for the title of each catagory, add a few pics of your work, maybe some equipment pics etc.

I was thinking the same with the titles it kinda just blends in.

As for pictures of our work I should post some but I usually just post that stuff on facebook. Witch isnt linked very well so maybe I'll have to work on that.

Steve
11-15-2010, 02:08 AM
Depending on who hosts your site, installing wordpress can be easy or difficult.

On host like godaddy, there is a pretty simple process for you to get the wordpress blog software installed.

With wordpress you can change the theme of your site fairly easily. If you do a search for wordpress grass theme and then look at the images, you will see many many ideas you may like. Like this one.

http://smackthemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/smack-green-grass.jpg

Wordpress is free and most of the themes are too.

picframer
11-15-2010, 05:38 AM
I dont know much about word press so I will have to look into that. On top of that I would probably need another page witch 5 is my limit right now.

I was thinking the same with the titles it kinda just blends in.

As for pictures of our work I should post some but I usually just post that stuff on facebook. Witch isn't linked very well so maybe I'll have to work on that.

Consumers like pictures, I can't tell you how many times I have herd "I saw a picture on your website of xxxxxx, I would like one of those, mine done like that, I didn't realize you offered that service (even though it is in text form under services) etc."

Some/many do not read but a picture speaks a thousand words.

Are your clients actually on facebook? Would they need to set up an account to view? Although familiar with what facebook is, I personally do not use it, I have an account but only visit every few months.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
11-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Consumers like pictures, I can't tell you how many times I have herd "I saw a picture on your website of xxxxxx, I would like one of those, mine done like that, I didn't realize you offered that service (even though it is in text form under services) etc."

Some/many do not read but a picture speaks a thousand words.

Are your clients actually on facebook? Would they need to set up an account to view? Although familiar with what facebook is, I personally do not use it, I have an account but only visit every few months.

ummm not very many are on facebook but I figure its a great way to network for me atleast. Did a job for a friends sister and I swear she posted more pictures than I did. And I've also gotten more business because of that.

So in reality I should get some on the site just dont like my own pics most of the time. Im not very professional camera wise and dont have a good camera to begin with.

Sides when I first started this I told myself I would do every free avenue to get may name out there. Facebook, manta, blogspot, google maps, yellow pgs, and anything else I really dont remember it all atm. Only one dont do really is craigslist post storm advertising but thats about it.

Depending on who hosts your site, installing wordpress can be easy or difficult.

On host like godaddy, there is a pretty simple process for you to get the wordpress blog software installed.

With wordpress you can change the theme of your site fairly easily. If you do a search for wordpress grass theme and then look at the images, you will see many many ideas you may like. Like this one.

Well thats good news. I love that theme or a similar one to that cause I hate mine. Just picked a gerneric one when I first made it and seems to be hard to switch themes without remaking the whole site it seems. Or maybe I'm making it harder than it needs to be.

jymie
11-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I built my website using Frontpage. http://www.lunchesruslawncare.com . I host the site on Godaddy.com and it seems to work well for my needs. The thing I like about frontpage is you can copy and paste items such as pictures or clickart into the page your building and it is easy to build a page that way. When I am finished building the site I use Filezilla to load the files into my hosting account. Godaddy is always willing to help when you have problems. Once you learn how to do it is the simplest thing to do. I am very happy I took the time to learn how to do all of it.