PDA

View Full Version : Mowing has finally ended

xpertlawnman
11-12-2010, 10:54 AM
This has been what seems like the season that would never end. I mowed 6 yards yesterday and that should put a wrap on it. With the exception of a couple of small leaf cleanups, I am about done. I am burned out. In a 16 week period from Jul-Sept. I have had a host of injuries to fight through. It started with a broken hand, then a chainsaw to the leg and finished with hernia surgery at the end of September. I actually had a decent year growth wise. I hope everybody had a profitable season. I am going to think hard about finally bringing an employee on next year.

fieroboi
11-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow, you have had quite the year. I'm sure your feeling somewhat burnt out, not to mention you probably need some time for recovery.

I have to agree with you, I too felt this season would never end. It seemed like the leaves would never stop falling. I have not seen a fall like this yet, we still have green grass here even though the ground is taking on frost. The phone is still ringing, i have stopped taking on clients for the snow season. I even had a call two days ago for an aeration, which is booked for the spring ... if that is an indication, next year will be awesome.

No snow here yet, but i'm sure we will pay for it somewhere down the road.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, Alberta, Canada

Martywdx
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Yesterday I finished up leaves with 5 lawns. One lady wanted to wait till the 15th. She may have to wait till spring. As there is snow for-casted for tonight,5-9 inches.

CHEESE2009
11-12-2010, 11:23 PM
This season can go to hell.

It was WAY too long.

My season is over, I am going to get totally wasted tomorrow - by myself!

As I clean my equipment and store it away.

I saved the worst cleanup for last;

One customer already removed the leaves from his property and called and asked if I could just mow his lawn.... sure... saved him for last considering he has no leaves.

I went there... and the backyards leaves piled past my ankles. AND I couldn't get my tractor in there, the property was on a hill, like a castle. So I spent most my time blowing the leaves under the fence, down the hill on the 'outer side' of the house.

From then, I blew them up the hill close to the street. Then used my tractor.

I wasn't going to slave over a lawn using my walk behind - no damn way!

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/breeze2009/damn.png

Steve
11-14-2010, 02:48 AM
Scott,

That place looks like some kind of fortress, I hope they have some sort of bridge you can use to get your equipment across.

I have had a host of injuries to fight through. It started with a broken hand, then a chainsaw to the leg and finished with hernia surgery at the end of September.

WOW! I am sorry about all that going on!

How many of those injuries were work related? Has it effected the way you are operating your business or how you will operate it next year?

Are there certain procedures you should put into place to make the job less traumatic?

It seems like there are many potential learning lessons here everyone needs to look out for and hopefully reduce jobsite injuries.