PDA

View Full Version : advertising

renecooke87
11-12-2010, 02:26 AM
How do you feel about people leaving flyers on peoples cars in a supermarket parking lot. I thought about doing it but i dont like ti when other people do it to me so i thought i would ask you guys. I do see it as a good way to get a wide variety of people though.

Please leave your thoughts about this and thank you

Steve
11-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Rene,

If you do a search on here you will find a few discussions on it.

Putting flyers out on car windshields tends to be frowned upon. Furthermore you are kind of doing a shotgun blast marketing technique. This means it may hit a few potential customers but the vast majority of your energy is wasted on people who are not interested in your marketing message.

You don't know how many people who own those cars, actually own property. If they don't own property, you are wasting your time.

Secondly, you are not getting a chance to talk with a potential customer, which is so important.

Talking to a home owner face to face helps you sell.

What is your view on why you have been considering this option versus other marketing options where you could be more targeted?

Dragger
11-12-2010, 05:55 AM
i do not think i have ever read one that was left on the windshield i normally just throw them away with out even looking

Hedgemaster
11-12-2010, 06:19 PM
They piss me off. If you put it under the wiper, you've touched my vehicle - I don't like people touching my vehicle.
Plus, it's a pain because you often don't see it until you're seated, then you have to get out and remove it. By "remove", I mean "throw away".

The Cleaning Doctor
11-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Some states will ticket you for littering because many of them end up on the ground and you were the one that put them out there.

mark123
11-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Some states will ticket you for littering because many of them end up on the ground and you were the one that put them out there.

That's sweet justice if you ask me. If you put one on my car make sure I don't see you. You'll regret it.

Upscale2
11-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Its against the law in some states. Not very much ROI, I would think. Why not work on your core customers. Get referrals.

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-13-2010, 10:31 AM
I agree with the others. I hate when I get into my truck in a parking lot with an arm full of groceries and realize I have to get out of my truck to remove a stupid flyer.

You will lose more business than you will gain with that tactic.

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I agree putting lawn care flyers out on windows is annoying and here in salt lake city they frown upon it as well, mailers flyers door hangers etc they are all very time consuming and expensive if you do them right and make them look professional, i would rather save the money and put a add in the paper when your a little slower cause then people who are actually looking for lawn care service or other services they will call.. But it seems that most people are going online these days its good but also hurts if your not on top..

Steve
11-14-2010, 03:19 AM
It seems like this marketing method is a double whammy.

First, the chances of you targeting a home owner is slight.

Secondly, if the person who you are targeting, gets the message but is angry because of the method they got it, they will most likely not act on it.

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-14-2010, 05:41 PM
It seems like this marketing method is a double whammy.

First, the chances of you targeting a home owner is slight.

Secondly, if the person who you are targeting, gets the message but is angry because of the method they got it, they will most likely not act on it.

I agree, back in the day it was somewhat ok lawn care or any company for that matter to market that way but over the last few years so many people are doing it that its just nothing but annoying and becoming banned in most citys because of it. I did a pole with friends and families and they said that they are annoyed and hardly ever even read the first header line or business name.. What a waste of time and money..

Justin

Steve
11-15-2010, 03:27 AM
It might have been last year on the forum that a member was talking about how he stood outside the front doors of Walmart and tried to talk to people coming in and leaving, about his lawn care business. I think he was also handing out flyers for his lawn care business at the same time.

I am sure I could find it in a search on here but it seemed at the end of the day he felt like he wasted his time doing that as well.

Flynnlandscaping
11-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Ok I Am Stuck, I Am Coming Up With Business Ideas For Next Spring. I Need Help With New Types Of Promotions To Offer, This Year i I Did Stuff Like 30% Off Labor $200.00 Or More And Half Off On Lawn Mowings... I Got More Clients This Year And I Loved It... But Any Ideas Do Help.

Steve
11-16-2010, 04:38 AM
Brian how did you get that marketing message out? What did you think of the results? Were you able to turn many of those customers into annual contract customers?

What do you feel was the downside to those promotions?