PDA

View Full Version : Proper linking Technique

The Cleaning Doctor
11-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Here is a little tid bit that will help you in your SEO endeavors.

When linking to your web site, never use

www.xtrememaintenance.com (your URL)

That is not your keyword.

When you are linking use your keywords, for example

Deck Staining Helena, MT (http://xtrememaintenance.com/html/wood_staining.html) or Lawn Mowing Helena, MT (http://xtrememaintenance.com/html/landscape.html)

Now Google will start to associate those words with your web pages. Also if you have a page like me for deck staining and one for lawn care, send the keywords to those pages instead of your home page. What happens is Google not only indexes web sites, it also indexes individual web pages.

What does this accomplish? Well as individual pages get indexed, they start to show up in the search engine results also. This is how you get multiple listings on the front page.

Take a look at the screen shot and you will see that the first 4 results are my web site and that each one circled is a separate page on xtrememaintenance.com

What ever you want your keyword to be that is what you need to use. Some cases you can use just deck staining or lawn mowing and you will still be associated with that phrase so when they add city, state it just narrows the search.

Any Questions?

Steve
11-11-2010, 01:17 AM
That is freaking awesome!

I bet everyone reading this is sitting here thinking I want that for my website.

With all the search engine optimization you are doing, do you feel there is a goal of having X% of your new calls coming in from web searches?

What should lawn care business owners be shooting for when it comes to this goal?

I think that could be a great way for them to compare where they are now with where they COULD be.

The Cleaning Doctor
11-11-2010, 04:46 PM
I never thought of a percentage as far as getting calls but I can tell you that one person I know has been in business just a little over a year and they do no advertising at all. All the work comes from their web site or referrals.

Now this year he is advertising for the first time for about .01 per impression for around 50k people and the incomes in the households range from 80k and up.

My goal is 100% or as close as I can get being from the web site. I may do a few other things but I will NOT go door to door or do mailings. I feel they are too much of a waste of money and time.

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the advice, But to my understanding even as a it will still add a link to my website? Was I told wrong? or does it not add as much value as if I was to put lawn care (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) sprinkler repair landscaping lawn care service etc? How long has your site been up?

The Cleaning Doctor
11-11-2010, 08:46 PM
It is all about association.

When you say the word "Tire" what do you think of automatically without thinking?

Goodyear, Firestone, Bridgestone, etc.

Yes, using your URL will add a link but what you want to do is associate your keywords with the domain so using "lawn care", "sprinkler repair" and "lawn care service" gets Google and the others to start associating these key word phrases with your domain. Just like your brain does with the word tire in the example above.

As for my site, I purchased the hosting on October 14th of this year. It has been up less than a month.

Steve
11-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Pat,

Did you ever think about creating a site like service magic where you use your seo skills to get customers to submit bids to your site and then you would send them out to local lawn care business?

That might be another business expansion option for you.

The Cleaning Doctor
11-12-2010, 07:32 PM
I have thought of things along those lines but I have yet to find the right niche or even direction for that type of service. The database that is needed is definitely beyond my skill level.

Not a half bad idea that will need some thought. I already have a URL in mind.

I am thinking maybe a hybrid type site between say like service magic and angies list?

Steve you do have the knack of getting thoughts to flow.

jymie
11-13-2010, 06:18 AM
How would one go about doing linking? I know about submitting url's to google. Is there a way to submit links to google or other search engines?
Sorry to sound dense here but I'm curious in linking and how to est go about doing it.

Jymie

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Steve that would be a good idea, service magic was smart to do what they did. Sad but all they are is a middle man for ppc adds and then sell one lead to 4 other contractors, they make bank- Not sure how it is in your area but it will be hard and a lot of time to be able to compete with organic searches cause when you just type in lawn care sprinkler repair landscaping even as specific as lawn care salt lake city they have a few spots organic at the top, plus they also use ppc, Then yellow pages etc all these other print add companies got smart and are now doing seo like crazy...

The Cleaning Doctor
11-13-2010, 06:32 PM
How would one go about doing linking? I know about submitting url's to google. Is there a way to submit links to google or other search engines?
Sorry to sound dense here but I'm curious in linking and how to est go about doing it.

Jymie

jymie

take for instance your signature, change it to the keywords that people would use to find you on the internet. Your signature on forums is one place to start with linking.

Another is articles and posting on blogs. Post anywhere that will allow you to put up a link. Don't look spammy or they will ban you.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of sites where you can get a link to your site. All it takes is time to find them and time to enter the info.

Don't forget to use the body of the post if allowed. So if you happen to mention lawn maintenance service (http://xtrememaintenance.com) in the body of the post then make that a link to your site as well.

The Cleaning Doctor
11-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Sad but all they are is a middle man for ppc adds

There is a study that says that nearly 80% of Google users ignore PPC and over 60% of Yahoo users ignore paid links. I would not worry about this.

Not sure how it is in your area but it will be hard and a lot of time to be able to compete with organic searches cause when you just type in lawn care (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) sprinkler repair (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) landscaping (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) even as specific as lawn care salt lake city (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) they have a few spots organic at the top, plus they also use ppc, Then yellow pages etc all these other print add companies got smart and are now doing seo like crazy...

I hate to differ with you on this. You can compete on the organic level. I have done it. Before I shut down my old site, I was showing up consistently in the top 3 for the search term "certified roof cleaning". Now this competes with all sites world wide and I did it in a years time and that was before I know what I know now. I dominated the local searches, I mean that 9 results on the first page were ME. You can see it starting to work with my new site and within 30 days. Service Magic and Yellow Pages did not even show up on the first page, of course I only left one slot... LOL

I was even coming up in the top 5 in Nashville and I did not even target that area.

TheGoat
11-13-2010, 10:39 PM
That is an interesting tip.

Some things I have come across during my research while building my website have convinced me that a consistent web presence will be absolutely necessary in the years moving forward, and in my opinion most other types of advertising will next to pointless.

Steve
11-14-2010, 03:52 AM
Another is articles and posting on blogs. Post anywhere that will allow you to put up a link. Don't look spammy or they will ban you.

You mentioned writing articles and posting on blogs.

When you say write articles, do you mean for those article sites like http://www.articlealley.com ?

I would venture to guess most lawn care business owners would have a difficult time putting together an article. What is your view on the best ways to go about doing that?

Also, when it comes to posting on other blogs, do you mean in the comments section? Writing something there and then including some kind of signature that links to your site? Or is it better to choose a screen name on those sites that includes your keywords and then have it link to your site through your blog name?

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-14-2010, 05:35 PM
Steve how did you get 2000 back links to this forum here? and your actual website you have thousands of back links. How were you able to do that? tell us your technique..

Steve
11-15-2010, 03:24 AM
LOL I didn't know I had that many!

How did you figure that out? Let me check out some of those sites and then I can tell you what I did.

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Ya you have a ton, and googlebot scans your site everyday- wich is a good things cause it allows us members to gain back links as well as builds your popularity cause were building off of you.. let me know how you got so many,

The Cleaning Doctor
11-15-2010, 07:21 PM
articles can be written on anything to do with your company like organic fertilizers etc.

If you can not or do not want to write them, you can always hire someone to write it for you for under $50 for 500 words and then post it on thousands of article sites, each one having a link back to you.

Most blogs only allow you to post comments but there will be some that will let you post an actual blog post. The trick is finding these.

as far as writing articles, it might be more beneficial to buy the article if you are unsure.