PDA

View Full Version : The 5% rule

ritchiem
11-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Here is a quote from Richard's blog.

Quote[/b] ]The 5% rule states that no matter how beautiful the property looks and how many hours you have spent on it, the client will see the 5% that is not up to par. We as professionals need to be able to see the detail in our work. Because if you do not, your clients will.

What do you think of this quote and what are some things you pay attention to detail to?

For example, I make sure to have a fresh edge on all sidewalks and garden beds. It really grabs your eye and shows that someone is taking care of this property.

Steve
11-13-2006, 03:26 PM
I think it's a good theory and one that makes you reflect on your work. What I wonder is, how does one go about catching that 5% they haven't worked on?

Steve
11-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Another thing I was thinking about is, should you apply this theory all the time or only when you are dealing with higher end customers that you are charging a premium for your services?

ritchiem
11-14-2006, 06:45 PM
Quote[/b] ]What I wonder is, how does one go about catching that 5% they haven't worked on?

You really need to have the "eye" for detail. For example, cultivating all tree wells but not pruning the sucker growth from the base of the tree makes it look like you did nothing to the tree wells. Thats because the customer cannot see past what they see to be wrong.

Quote[/b] ]Another thing I was thinking about is, should you apply this theory all the time or only when you are dealing with higher end customers that you are charging a premium for your services?

Paying attention to detail should be something you do all of the time and for any service you do, for whatever customer you have. It will separate you from the pack. Like I always say "Anyone can cut grass, but it takes a professional to maintain a healthy turf".

tiedeman
11-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Nov. 13 2006,9:00)]Here is a quote from Richard's Blog.

Quote[/b] ]The 5% rule states that no matter how beautiful the property looks and how many hours you have spent on it, the client will see the 5% that is not up to par. We as professionals need to be able to see the detail in our work. Because if you do not, your clients will.

What do you think of this quote and what are some things you pay attention to detail to?

For example, I make sure to have a fresh edge on all sidewalks and garden beds. *It really grabs your eye and shows that someone is taking care of this property.
I agree. I have run into that a lot of times in the past

Steve
11-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Can you offer such a high level of services all the time? Or should you?

ritchiem
11-14-2006, 09:23 PM
I offer this level of service to all my customers (mind you they pay for the level I provide).

I want to make sure that when I leave the customers property I can leave my name on it. Our product is out on display for everyone to see so it better look great!

I don't like getting jobs where the customer only wants a lawn cut bi-weekly. It makes me look like a mow and go company to onlookers.

Steve
11-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Quote[/b] (ritchiem @ Nov. 14 2006,9:23)]I offer this level of service to all my customers (mind you they pay for the level I provide).

I want to make sure that when I leave the customers property I can leave my name on it. Our product is out on display for everyone to see so it better look great!

I don't like getting jobs where the customer only wants a lawn cut bi-weekly. It makes me look like a mow and go company to onlookers.
What suggestions would you have for other lcos reading this on how to pre-qualify a customer whom would pay for and appreciate such a level of service?