PDA

View Full Version : skid steer's

miked9372
11-09-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking about getting a skid steer but i don't know what to get I'm thinking about a used one. should i get a bobcat or caterpillar? people that i have talked to say they like CAT's joystick better than bobcats, what do you think?

picframer
11-10-2010, 06:59 AM
I think as with many brands try them and see which you like best, some may like Cat, others Bobcat both are excellent machines. The new Deere unit gives them both a run for their money when it comes to controls. Also look at service and parts, ask a lot of questions as down time, although rare, can cost you a lot of money.

miked9372
11-10-2010, 04:27 PM
well there is a lot of bobcats used for sale but not a lot of cats and if they are they are about 20,000 compared to bobcats being about 5,000 used

I want to know about the controls to, I never ran a skid steer and people say there is a petal in bobcats and not cats.

Steve
11-11-2010, 01:05 AM
What got you interested in getting one and why are you choosing to get a skid steer?

miked9372
11-11-2010, 07:05 AM
for more landscaping like moving rocks, seeding a new lawn, maybe some snow plowing, digging up dirt and leveling

picframer
11-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Just curious, did you look into CUT's? They will do everything you mention, less damage than a skid with the appropiate tires and do more. Various brands to choose from New Holland, Jubota, Bobcat, John Deere, Kubota, Massey etc.

miked9372
11-11-2010, 11:41 PM
never heard of CUT's and the John Deere dealer told me to say away from them they are still screwed up he said.

Steve
11-12-2010, 02:57 AM
to say away from them they are still screwed up

Did he mention what he meant by screwed up?

The term C.U.T. stands for compact utility tractor. Andy is a big fan of them and they seem to be very versatile.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/media/images/category/static/utility_tractors/2000_series.jpg

picframer
11-12-2010, 05:18 AM
Did he mention what he meant by screwed up?

The term C.U.T. stands for compact utility tractor. Andy is a big fan of them and they seem to be very versatile.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/media/images/category/static/utility_tractors/2000_series.jpg

I can't believe a JD Dealer would say that, they sell thousands, I belong to a tractor forum that has a section detailed to Compact Utility Tractors, it is almost unheard of to hear of equipment issues other than operator error and we have thousands of members. I personally have never had an issue that was due to the machine and we run 5 CUTS hard.

I too am curious to know what is screwed up and it their Regional Rep or Head office were to get wind that a dealer said this, there would be a serious issue, perhaps even a law suit as the statement is damaging and not at all true, IMHO and observations.

picframer
11-12-2010, 06:34 AM
never heard of CUT's and the John Deere dealer told me to say away from them they are still screwed up he said.

Go to this site, scroll down to compact utility tractors, select a brand, tons of reading by each make

http://www.mytractorforum.com/

Post a question and ask for issues.

Steve
11-14-2010, 02:28 AM
Andy,

What is your view on why we see so many inquiries on skid steers vs. compact utility tractors?

Is it that the skid steers are used a lot more often and are more popular or is it that most landscapers don't realize the scope of jobs these machines can perform?

picframer
11-14-2010, 06:33 AM
Andy,

What is your view on why we see so many inquiries on skid steers vs. compact utility tractors?

Is it that the skid steers are used a lot more often and are more popular or is it that most landscapers don't realize the scope of jobs these machines can perform?

Our industry has not been educated properly by the manufacturer's, I know this from doing Demo's for Deere, where they bring in landscaping companies, I am in Deere uniform and travel with a sales guy. Landscapers are shocked at not only what these units will do but how much less damage they do, especially in new landscaping/sod jobs.

The industry will catch up and all of a sudden CUTS which have been around 20 years will be the hottest ticket in town. For the first time I see two local landscaping companies have finally purchased them, haven't talked to them but it's like anything, we had the market for a season (2 years) I suspect around here you will see a lot more in the coming years.

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-14-2010, 01:36 PM
What is a utility tractor? is that what you see on a farm with the bucket and you can have attachments on the back? or? I own a few skids on my landscaping (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) devision, We usually run 75 Xlt CASE-and a couple of CATS we stay away from bobcat because of the foot controls.. I like skids cause when were building big water falls and ponds at the end of the project there is a ton of stuff that needs to be hauled off and our ten wheeler truck our skids are able to just drive right up fully extend in the air and dump into the side of the truck. ten wheelers are very high with high sides. But also in my experience our skids can turn on a dime. so my landscapers (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) can get around our projects pretty quick as well as using the bucket for installing rock retaining walls able to grade etc. But im interested in learning about the utility tractor to see what its about, I usually upgrade all my skids every couple of years and they run mid to high 35,000 a piece How much are the utility tractors?

Justin
landscaping salt lake city utah (http://www.localedgelawncare.com)

picframer
11-14-2010, 02:32 PM
What is a utility tractor? is that what you see on a farm with the bucket and you can have attachments on the back? or? I own a few skids on my landscaping (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) devision, We usually run 75 Xlt CASE-and a couple of CATS we stay away from bobcat because of the foot controls.. I like skids cause when were building big water falls and ponds at the end of the project there is a ton of stuff that needs to be hauled off and our ten wheeler truck our skids are able to just drive right up fully extend in the air and dump into the side of the truck. ten wheelers are very high with high sides. But also in my experience our skids can turn on a dime. so my landscapers (http://www.localedgelawncare.com) can get around our projects pretty quick as well as using the bucket for installing rock retaining walls able to grade etc. But im interested in learning about the utility tractor to see what its about, I usually upgrade all my skids every couple of years and they run mid to high 35,000 a piece How much are the utility tractors?

Justin
landscaping salt lake city utah (http://www.localedgelawncare.com)

Google John Deere 3520 or 3720 or 2720, we also have a 2520, the 3000 series will dump very high however you have to add what we call a ballast box to the rear.

As for cost, new, here, they start around 20,000 for what we run with the 3720 coming in at around 28,000, these are full loaded units, we also load the tires on the 3000 series as they are mainly used in the woods or really big landscaping projects, my overall favorite is our 2520. We have every earth engaging piece of equipment as an attachment that John Deere makes including three back hoe's which are quick attach.

We run tillers, box blades, 60" rear blades, 6' landscape rakes, bush hogs and a host of other attachments.

miked9372
11-16-2010, 09:28 PM
bobcats now have Optional Selectable Joystick Controls (SJC)
Optional Selectable Joystick Controls (SJC): Itís All in the Hands

The low-effort Selectable Joystick Controls allow you to control all machine functions with your hands. This state-of-the-art system is loaded with exclusive features:

* Precise Joystick Responses: The SJC controls respond to forward drive, reverse drive and steering changes. They also react to slow machine operation, high-range turning and starting/stopping.
* Speed Management: Match your travel speed to operation requirements for optimizing attachment performance. Get precise control of machine movements in tight areas and adjust your default speed setting. Speed management is available on loaders equipped with SJC and the All-Wheel Steer loader.
* Horsepower Management: Automatically adjust the drive system to maximize pushing and digging power without stalling the engine.
* Foot Throttle: Increase engine speed when needed since your feet are free of other controls.
* Fingertip Switches: Control attachment functions, speed management, horn and blinkers without the need to let go of the joysticks.
* Selectable Control Pattern: Select ISO or H-Pattern hand controls at the flip of a switch to satisfy your preference.
* Steering Drift Compensation: The system reduces steering drift, provides side-shift operation for trenchers and planers, and adjusts for surface variations such as crowned roads.
* Drive Response: Adjust to your jobsite conditions by setting the drive and steering responsiveness to one of three settings.