PDA

View Full Version : Echo Pb620 Shuts Of and On

cruzgardening
11-09-2010, 04:50 AM
hey guys the leaf blower that was sold to me a few months back started acting up on me, i am about ready to buy a new one but since this one was sold to me with my route and it was in excellent shape i thought i might want to get it fixed first :) so here is the problem, last week as i was finishing up my last clients home the blower started to lose power, thats when i had it in full throttle i thought it was weird but i continued, but it just got worst and worst i took it in after work at a shop near the area where i was working the guy said it was the spark plug he changed it fired it up again and it worked fined... until i took it out the next morning... I started the blower it worked fine for about 15 minutes and then again the engine sounded like if it was going to shut of but as soon as i would let go of the throttle it would fire back up, i took it back to the same mechanic and he said it might be the gas filter he cleaned it up and fired it up full throtle 15 minutes and it looked to be fine and again i took it out the next morning and the same thing... any ideas guys? the guy i usually go to is out in vacations and wont be back till next week and don't want to waste my money with another "mechanic".

i cleaned the air filter changed the spark plug clean the gas filter and nothing has this happened to any of you and if so what was the cause? i want to see if i can fix it or do you guys think its time for a new one?

thank you all for your time.

shadrach
11-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Try taking the muffler off and see if it runs without it on - I have had 2 different backpack echo blowers clog mufflers and have the same problem you are describing. I'm thinking new muffler was around $20-$25.If thats not it then carburetor kit probably fixes it for awhile. I ended up selling both of mine because it was a recurring problem and got tired of messing with it. good luck

MAKLawnCutter
11-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Blowers sucketh... lol

I run Stihls and have had the same issue with one of mine. I had to pull the muffler off. They have a sleeve/screen inside that can become blocked up and cause a back pressure issue. I believe that Echos have a baffle inside of them also. Could be that. usually the part runs around 8$ and takes 10min to change out or clean (soak it in some brake/carb cleaner and scrub with a metal brush).

Matt

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-09-2010, 02:44 PM
I am a huge fan of echo i wont put anything else on my trailers, Its most likely carbon build up on the little screen and gasket between the muffler and motor, just pull off the two bolts and clean the screens, I usually take off the screens when i first buy them. make sure you didnt mix the oil in the gas to rich either.. you should be good to go.

Justin in salt lake city (http://www.localedgelawncare.com)

www.localedgelawncare.com (http://www.localedgelawncare.com)

VINVAN
11-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Their Must Have Been Some Dirty Gas Deep Down In S. Tx, I Had To Clean The Carbs On My Riding Snapper, A 3month Old Walk Behind Snapper & A 3 Month Old Stihl Weed Eater. My Advice, Clean The Carb

Steve
11-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Is it ever worth while just hollowing out the muffler at a certain point?

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-09-2010, 08:25 PM
The bad thing about taking the carb off or hollowing out the carb to run is that there will be no back pressure, so that means that the motor will have no restrictions and the piston will just blow,

Justin in salt lake city (http://www.localedgelawncare.com)

www.localedgelawncare.com (http://www.localedgelawncare.com)

Steve
11-10-2010, 11:47 PM
I just checked the price, for $3.00 I would just replace it.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/screenmuffler-p-520629.html

Echo Screen Muffler

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/images/part_14586206720_med.gif

XtreemGreen
11-11-2010, 12:31 PM
If there is a screen, it is probably clogged... I run Shindawia and everything I buy, I take the screen out so I dont have that problem.. My edger is over 5 years old and still starts on second pull and runs like a champ.. I have an echo blower but havent had any problems with it either.. throw the screen away..

VINVAN
11-12-2010, 09:29 AM
if There Is A Screen, It Is Probably Clogged... I Run Shindawia And Everything I Buy, I Take The Screen Out So I Dont Have That Problem.. My Edger Is Over 5 Years Old And Still Starts On Second Pull And Runs Like A Champ.. I Have An Echo Blower But Havent Had Any Problems With It Either.. Throw The Screen Away..

Excuse My Ignorance; What Is The Purpose Of The Screen?

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I think they put the screens on for a little bit of emission control, hence why they plug up with carbon so they must work to a point! But highly annoying for sure.. any lawn care mechanic shop should be happy to answer any questions thats how i learned cause i wanted to know exactly what was going on with my machines of what my guys were doing to them? and so i know if im getting over charged on a part thats not needed to be replaced..

cruzgardening
11-13-2010, 02:30 AM
i gave in and took it to the shop it seems like the piston was "stuck" and the muffler had a lose part in it which made it not functional anymore, or so the guy said he charged me $150 for everything, you guys think thats a fair price? for fixing the piston n muffler? now that i see what you guys wrote it seems a bit pricey...

Local Edge Lawn Care
11-13-2010, 09:45 AM
In my opinion no i wouldnt spend the money to fix it, I would shell out a little bit more to just get a new one, that seems a bit expensive plus what else wore on it?

Justin
lawn care salt lake city utah (http://www.localedgelawncare.com)

Steve
11-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Well, ultimately it depends on your budget. When you have a tight budget, you gotta make the best of it. If you already spent the money and it works, then good, move forwards.

When this thing finally goes, I would take it apart myself and learn how it is put together. If the piston was gumbed up in there, maybe in the future you will simply take it apart, spray it down with some gunk or degreaser and get it back working again.

The more you know about how your machines run, the more money you can save when it comes to repairs.

As your business grows and you have more cash than time, you will probably benefit more from having someone else work on your machines. But early on, anything you can do yourself, saves you money.

cruzgardening
11-14-2010, 03:25 AM
Well, ultimately it depends on your budget. When you have a tight budget, you gotta make the best of it. If you already spent the money and it works, then good, move forwards.

When this thing finally goes, I would take it apart myself and learn how it is put together. If the piston was gumbed up in there, maybe in the future you will simply take it apart, spray it down with some gunk or degreaser and get it back working again.

The more you know about how your machines run, the more money you can save when it comes to repairs.

As your business grows and you have more cash than time, you will probably benefit more from having someone else work on your machines. But early on, anything you can do yourself, saves you money.

yeah thats what i was trying to find out but since i already know what the sypmtoms are of a bad piston i might take it apart myself next time and try to fix it yeah my budget stilll tight im working on a brand new business and trying to bring it up one day at a time, i wish i knew what was wrong before i shelled out the money, but ultimately u need someone to teach u before you can learn, i might buy a trouble shooting book to learn how to fix lawncare machines

thank you all for the help :)

Steve
11-15-2010, 01:52 AM
i might buy a trouble shooting book to learn how to fix lawncare machines

As your old machines wear out and no longer are useful, take them apart and learn how they operate then put them back together. You will learn a lot and build up a lot more confidence in understanding how your equipment works and feel more empowered to tackle repair jobs yourself, if you so desire.

cruzgardening
11-16-2010, 09:36 PM
As your old machines wear out and no longer are useful, take them apart and learn how they operate then put them back together. You will learn a lot and build up a lot more confidence in understanding how your equipment works and feel more empowered to tackle repair jobs yourself, if you so desire.

yeah i will be doing that as soon as i have the next problem i mean $150 is a lot of money which i dont have haha thanks guys :)

TheGoat
11-16-2010, 11:22 PM
spark arrestor.

that carbon comes from the oil gas mix and when it comes out of the motor it's hot.

the screen attracts the hot carbon to it and keeps it from setting grass and whatnot on fire.

wandfsmall
11-17-2010, 08:35 AM
i gave in and took it to the shop it seems like the piston was "stuck" and the muffler had a lose part in it which made it not functional anymore, or so the guy said he charged me $150 for everything, you guys think thats a fair price? for fixing the piston n muffler? now that i see what you guys wrote it seems a bit pricey...

Well that depends on how you look at it. They have to pay a mechanic to fix it. How expensive was the Muffler or parts. I would also inquire how the piston was "STUCK" that sounds very bad. I would say though a lot of shops are like me and call before we hand that big of a bill out. I charge $10 to look at a 2cycle as a lot of the time it does cost more to fix one then it is worth and I do have to pay someone to look at it.

cruzgardening
11-18-2010, 02:16 AM
Well that depends on how you look at it. They have to pay a mechanic to fix it. How expensive was the Muffler or parts. I would also inquire how the piston was "STUCK" that sounds very bad. I would say though a lot of shops are like me and call before we hand that big of a bill out. I charge $10 to look at a 2cycle as a lot of the time it does cost more to fix one then it is worth and I do have to pay someone to look at it.

see at least u would give me the chance of saying no haha this guys split my blower in half before i could say anything lol i guess im learning, he said he had to change the pistons rings and he did not give me a new muffler he just had an old one they fixed and put it on my blower, which currently sounds a bit more noisy then when i brought it in. but i guess i have to learn slowly ill check with a diff mechanic next time :)

Steve
11-18-2010, 03:44 AM
spark arrestor.

that carbon comes from the oil gas mix and when it comes out of the motor it's hot.

the screen attracts the hot carbon to it and keeps it from setting grass and whatnot on fire.

Ahhh that would make sense. Jeeze the last thing you want to be doing is shooting out hot embers behind you, catching everything on fire!

TheGoat
11-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Ahhh that would make sense. Jeeze the last thing you want to be doing is shooting out hot embers behind you, catching everything on fire!

They are installed on all 2-stroke motors by law. two stroke motors are not allowed on public roadways(unless it's manufacture date predates the law- like some sweet motorcycles I lust after) so they assume that all the motors will be used off road, and so, spark arrestors . Take it off and clean it up with some carb cleaner and a wire brush.

cruzgardening
11-22-2010, 11:58 PM
They are installed on all 2-stroke motors by law. two stroke motors are not allowed on public roadways(unless it's manufacture date predates the law- like some sweet motorcycles I lust after) so they assume that all the motors will be used off road, and so, spark arrestors . Take it off and clean it up with some carb cleaner and a wire brush.

that makes really good sense thank you ill try that next time now im searching for a book that can teach me about my lawn equipment :)