PDA

View Full Version : Aeration. Dethatching

Buck's Landscaping
11-03-2010, 12:08 PM
For a warm season turf when would be the best time to dethatch a lawn. Before the fall fertilizer application or after then how often would you suggest aerafying a lawn of warm season turf

TeamDynamic
11-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Do you guys cut all year?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
For a warm season turf when would be the best time to dethatch a lawn. Before the fall fertilizer application or after then how often would you suggest aerafying a lawn of warm season turf

Just before you plant the cool season grass. Or just before the growing season starts. Aerating as need doesnt really matter but most do it same timing as the dethatching time.

I would look into the Nature's lawn stuff for both though. Doing it mechanically doesnt fix any of the problems that cause either of those.

Steve
11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
I would look into the Nature's lawn stuff for both though. Doing it mechanically doesnt fix any of the problems that cause either of those.

What's been your view on how using nature's lawn products has helped with this vs. mechanically aerating?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
11-04-2010, 07:15 PM
What's been your view on how using nature's lawn products has helped with this vs. mechanically aerating?

Well I dont knwo for sure as of yet cause its a long term issue. None of my yards have those issue it thats what you are asking.

But mulching and using those products I can tell a difference especially around transition time. They stay greener longer and just look healther the whole year. Some yards take longer then some but specifically one of my yards after doing all this for about about 4 months you could really tell a difference. It went from being an alright looking yard to a perfect mat of grass and this is with bermuda grass. It usually looks like crap all years, its our cool season grass that look good here.

Doing the mechanical aerating and dethatching have their place to be used but its only to counter act the real problems. i.e. compacted soil, low bio/organic activity and so on. Watering correctly helps as well. So many yeards we take over have that issue alone. It makes me laugh sometimes how little these companies know and how few speaking english in my area but thats another topic.

cruzgardening
11-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Watering correctly helps as well. So many yeards we take over have that issue alone. It makes me laugh sometimes how little these companies know and how few speaking english in my area but thats another topic.

i get the same problem here in Ca. There are so many companies but half of them Do Not know how to use the irrigation system or have no idea how much water should be used for each type of grass, one home I took over last month had that same problem the previous company set the timer to water every day for 5 minutes... i came in set it to 15 every 3 days and if you look at the lawn right now it looks way better and i haven't even fertilized it or Aerate it :P

another thing i get extra points here in Cali cause i speak both Spanish and English so since there are lots of Hispanics i get into both markets easily :)

hotwired
11-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Steve,
How is your "tips" book selling? I gotta get a copy! Is it downloadable? (I did send you my updated copy of "how to start a lawn care business a whole new way, didn't I?) - If not, PM me your email address again, and I'll send you one. 40 extra pages, etc.