PDA

View Full Version : Health Issues that come with Lawn care

cruzgardening
10-29-2010, 09:45 PM
I had this question since i started working with the landscape company i was with a few years ago and now as a business owner i wanted to know what the health issues related with all the fumes coming from all the machines are? has anyone done any studies on the health issues? if so can u guys let me know where i can find them?

Also if there are health issues how can they be prevented? thank you guys

mark123
10-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Personally, my health issues involve tendinitis. Last year it was tennis elbow, this year it is golfer's elbow. My shoulders pop and crack from tight tendons and my lower back requires adjustment every so often.

If you're concerned about exhaust fumes perhaps you could look into propane powered equipment. Dixie Chopper (http://dixiechopper.com/mowers/view-mowers/propane) has some ZTRs powered by propane. I do believe I've seen other companies that offer propane powered equipment but I can't remember who.

CHEESE2009
10-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Rumor has it lawn guys die early. ...

I have to agree that carpel tunnel has gotten the best of me.

You are dealing with a lot of 'vibrating' equipment which could stiff up your joints and cause a bit of cramping. My fingers usually are the first thing to cause me pain.

ANYWAY, nothing too serious.

As for the fumes, it's hard to say.....

You could be indoors all day breathing in stale air, or outdoors with fresh air and a bit of exhaust. I smoke, so honestly can't tell you if breathing in exhaust effects me.

The biggest problem I have, is my heart rapidly accelerating depending on what I'm doing. Usually happens when moving faster (obviously) though this could cause temporary shortness of breath and instant fatigue. I get this often because I don't eat breakfast.

Some basic things to look into;

Avoiding sun stroke
Replenishing fluids
Eating healthy
Stretching
Posture

StartALawnCareBusiness
10-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Tingling in your fingers can be an indication of Raynaud's Syndrome.

Raynaud's Syndrome is a known health issue in occupations that induce vibrations on the hands and fingers. Using string trimmers for long periods of time or in cold weather can exacerbate the effects of the disease.

Keith

cruzgardening
10-30-2010, 02:48 AM
I was asking more about the fumes because every time after im done my whole body smells like gasoline and even though i wear a mask, when im in the shower and i clean my nose and clear my throat i get black snot, i know its gross but any idea of how that affect us Lawn Care providers?

CHEESE2009
10-30-2010, 04:24 AM
I haven't been able to smell gas or grass for years. LOL

After awhile, it goes kind of unnoticed - people don't notice their own 'brand' of smell.

Grass and gas has been mine for some time, used to be liquor but I haven't had a drink in a long while! lol

I remember back in the day.. When I used to be able to smell fresh cut grass, how strong it was.... Now I don't notice a damn thing.

Anyway, to answer your question seriously;

i clean my nose and clear my throat i get black snot

This is usually just debris from cutting grass, we all go through the same thing... I sometimes wonder if it's clogging me up - but meh... lol

I'll blow my nose and I get black snot too, it's little particles of grass that you have breathed in - but couldn't get into your system, your nose acts like a filter.

Sometimes you'll have a dry throat or feel the need to cough up some of this gunk. There isn't much to prevent it from happening, not that I know of.

What you are going through is very common.

cruzgardening
10-30-2010, 05:18 AM
I haven't been able to smell gas or grass for years. LOL

After awhile, it goes kind of unnoticed - people don't notice their own 'brand' of smell.

Grass and gas has been mine for some time, used to be liquor but I haven't had a drink in a long while! lol

I remember back in the day.. When I used to be able to smell fresh cut grass, how strong it was.... Now I don't notice a damn thing.

Anyway, to answer your question seriously;

This is usually just debris from cutting grass, we all go through the same thing... I sometimes wonder if it's clogging me up - but meh... lol

I'll blow my nose and I get black snot too, it's little particles of grass that you have breathed in - but couldn't get into your system, your nose acts like a filter.

Sometimes you'll have a dry throat or feel the need to cough up some of this gunk. There isn't much to prevent it from happening, not that I know of.

What you are going through is very common.

lol i think i stop smelling newly cut grass a few years back myself lol my clients tell me they love the smell and i just smile with them haha.

also im glad u no longer smell of alcohol haha now we all smell like cowboys! :P

im glad its normal i was starting to think i was coughing up my lungs lol

but i heard earlier today that there is some co-relation between cancer and gasoline fumes thats where my question originates from

btw have u ever used the trimmer and its so closed to ur face you are inhaling all the fumes and there is no way to use it any other way cause there are obstacles to clear the bush you might be trimming haha just a thought :P

CHEESE2009
10-30-2010, 09:40 AM
btw have u ever used the trimmer and its so closed to ur face you are inhaling all the fumes and there is no way to use it any other way cause there are obstacles to clear the bush you might be trimming haha just a thought :P

Of course!

Without breathing in this toxic, life would be too easy! LOL

Crap... I've been up all night again...

I stay up 2 days, sleep in one day, stay up 2 days... repeats itself....

See what happens when I take a break from work? My body can't adapt and I'm left with this insane energy that I'm now too lazy to drain so I could sleep like a normal person.

If you check my posts on here, you'll see them go through till 5am and more... I get my 'second wind' around 8pm so party on... sleep is the best when you really need it hahaha..... Halloween tomorrow!

Steve
10-30-2010, 08:25 PM
have u ever used the trimmer and its so closed to ur face you are inhaling all the fumes and there is no way to use it any other way cause there are obstacles to clear the bush you might be trimming

Did you ever think about creating something that was like an extended exhaust pipe that maybe redirected the exhaust up and away from you?

Could a pipe be attached that went up 3 ft?

Last year it was tennis elbow, this year it is golfer's elbow.

What is your view on why this occurred? Was it due to constant vibration do you feel or something else?

Are you taking any precautions now to avoid it?

Also, do you feel certain mowers are better to use than others that will cut down on the way they negatively impact the operator?

mark123
10-30-2010, 09:07 PM
... What is your view on why this occurred? Was it due to constant vibration do you feel or something else?Maybe I'm just not as young as I used to be. I'm 42. :eek: Things hurt for no reason, it seems. ;)

Are you taking any precautions now to avoid it? I wear a forearm brace (http://images.imaginekitty.com/tennisElbowBubble.jpg) that really helps. It doesn't cure it, only rest or surgery can do that, but it takes the pressure off of the frayed tendon.

Also, do you feel certain mowers are better to use than others that will cut down on the way they negatively impact the operator?
I actually think it's the weed whacker and the unnatural angle you have to hold your wrist to keep it in proper position.

CHEESE2009
10-31-2010, 12:03 AM
This is me once I get my fall cleanups done;

http://www.existentialpunk.com/.a/6a00d83452358069e20105369ff04a970c-800wi

Martywdx
10-31-2010, 09:17 PM
when im in the shower and i clean my nose and clear my throat i get black snot, i know its gross but any idea of how that affect us Lawn Care providers?

I don't notice black snot so much in the summer. But this fall has been very dry,and picking up leaves is a very dusty job. My eyes are red and my throat and lungs are tight with black snot even with mask and goggles. I tap out the engine air filter after every job and it full of crap. That can not be good for lungs.

Steve
11-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Does anyone wear one of those light air masks? You gotta figure if your equipment air filter is clogged, a mask could really help.

cruzgardening
11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't notice black snot so much in the summer. But this fall has been very dry,and picking up leaves is a very dusty job. My eyes are red and my throat and lungs are tight with black snot even with mask and goggles. I tap out the engine air filter after every job and it full of crap. That can not be good for lungs.

yeah thats where my concern comes from but i guess every career has its problems :)