PDA

View Full Version : Should judges be able to bar unions from striking?

Steve
10-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Do you feel a judge should be able to stop a union from striking?

Does it matter to you if the potential strike could effect the nation's transportation system?

Judge blocks strike threat at Mesaba Aviation (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15397765/)
Northwest's regional carrier now seen able to impose pay cuts - A bankruptcy judge on Monday blocked a strike by unions at Mesaba Aviation Inc., clearing the way for the feeder for Northwest Airlines Corp. to impose pay cuts later this week.

Mesaba, which has been reorganizing under bankruptcy protection for a year, had said a strike would probably put it out of business.

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2003/12/15_catlinb_mesaba/images/ajr2_large.jpg

On Monday, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Gregory Kishel agreed.

tiedeman
10-26-2006, 06:43 PM
I feel that if a strike restricts the transportation then yes. For example, imagine what would happen if all of the air lines would strike. The economy would go down the tubes.

Look at this past year with the subway strikers in New York. That created chaos.

Howard Roark
10-27-2006, 09:38 PM
I have a commercial pilot's license, as that was what I was pursuing prior to starting my business.

The airline industry, barring a few standouts, is about one thing...profit by bad management. The only reason a company would need a union is because of bad management which = lack of respect for their employees.

Pilot's have incredible responsiblity, are more scrutinized by the FAA than even doctors are in their profession, yet get paid squat. Then you have major airlines crying poor that they can't make a profit, while their CEO's and upper management laugh all the way to the bank. I have several friends who are pilots, and regarding the last poster claiming that the economy would go down the tubes, I say Strike all the way home. If the economy is that dependant on these individuals, then treat them accordingly. In Japan, airline workers are treated like royalty.

That judge is bought and paid for. Tell the poor soul Pilot working for Mesaba who makes a piddly 28K a year (This is about what they make BTW) after years of training and working his way up there that he should bend over for a pay cut to serve our precious economy. If Mesaba and Northwest and all the other airlines had respect for their employees (something it appears only JetBlue and Southwest currently have in the major airline market) then it would be a win-win situation. And a win-win situation, as written about in the 7 habits of highly effective people, makes everyone successful. What the general public never sees in the airline industry is that most are not run to be successful, they're run to make a wealthy select few at the top wealthier.

I'd recommend a strike, but over that I'd recommend, and have to many of my pilot friends whom I will personally make far more money at what I'm doing than they this year, to get out and get their own thing going. Their argument is pension, in which I promptly reply "That's what the guys at Eastern airlines said....where are they now?".

tiedeman
10-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Good Post

Now I don't want this to sound bad, but what about the thought of, "They chose that profession, and if it isn't working out, find another job."

Do you think that is a fair arguement? *I mean, why stay with a job that isn't paying, pensions are horrible, and benefits are nothing. *Why not find another job then?

Like I said, I am not ragging on your post, but too many times I see people on strike because they are unhappy with their pay or want new contracts. *If they are unhappy with their pay, then look elsewhere. *It would be the same thing in my line of work. *I decide the pay, benefits, etc for the employees. *If they don't like it, find another job then.

A perfect example of where unions are horrible for the industry is in the automotive. My brother works in plastics down in Detroit. He has a college education, and makes great money. But when he goes to these automotive plants, guys there are making $30-$40 per hour, with no college education, and they aren't even breaking a sweat

myrlin
10-30-2006, 01:40 PM
i think the people usa should go on strike to bring price back down

barry