PDA

View Full Version : My new Business...What do you think about my website?

jaytime25
10-25-2010, 09:23 PM
I am new and just built my own website. i have to give a lot of thanks to gopher for help on some template that i use for lawn agreements. Please check out my site and tell me what you think. Thanks.

http://www.grandslampestandlawn.com

CHEESE2009
10-25-2010, 09:49 PM
that is sexy!

How'd you get the animation of the butterflies and such float around the page?

ALSO

Usually when I open a site, I click anywhere and use my arrow keys to scroll up and down the page.... On your site I'm forced to use the scroll bar because your entire page is 'clickable'

It's not a major problem, though if I was more dumb than I am - I would have thought the page ended and wouldn't think twice about scrolling down to see more awesome content.

jaytime25
10-25-2010, 11:44 PM
I used wix site builder and it has some animation to choose from. Just incorporated it into my page

cruzgardening
10-26-2010, 12:25 AM
I am new and just built my own website. i have to give a lot of thanks to gopher for help on some template that i use for lawn agreements. Please check out my site and tell me what you think. Thanks.

http://www.grandslampestandlawn.com

great page you might want to consider some of the Organic or no checmical pest control offered by others in this site it seems it makes lots of profit even though i never used them myself :) but great site easy to navigate and well written :)

jaytime25
10-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for your opinion, i will add that. Also, will dunno if i should add anything else to it as well

Steve
10-26-2010, 07:43 PM
Hi Jay,

Welcome to our forum!

Your site is real nice!

Is that created with flash? Will the search engines be able to index it and all the keywords in it?

CHEESE2009
10-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Hi Jay,

Welcome to our forum!

Your site is real nice!

Is that created with flash? Will the search engines be able to index it and all the keywords in it?

Yeah, that's one of my problems. Flash or pictures look so much better than text.. but search engines wont be too good... So sad :(

OH WELL! lol

Not like I know anything to do with optimization!

mark123
10-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, that's one of my problems. Flash or pictures look so much better than text.. but search engines wont be too good... So sad :(

OH WELL! lol
It's not either/or. Flash just makes twice the work for making a proper site. Allowing it to fail gracefully is something that just gets left behind because it takes so much work and costs a lot of money if you're paying someone to do that.

In general making an entire website using the flash plugin is not an optimum solution. There is not really a whole lot that flash can do that you can't accomplish without it.

CHEESE2009
10-27-2010, 06:27 PM
It's not either/or. Flash just makes twice the work for making a proper site. Allowing it to fail gracefully is something that just gets left behind because it takes so much work and costs a lot of money if you're paying someone to do that.

In general making an entire website using the flash plugin is not an optimum solution. There is not really a whole lot that flash can do that you can't accomplish without it.

I have a lot of animations and buttons which were made using flash. And most my 'art' content was made in flash but exported into a picture.

Text on my site is rare, but personally - I just want my current customers to enjoy and share my site... People randomly landing on my page isn't my goal yet. It might work wonders for gaining new clients, but I can list myself on other directory sites providing my website address, that's good enough for me I suppose.

I like to be crazy sometimes, the site is more for myself than to gain customers. Just something nice to look at lol.

mark123
10-27-2010, 06:34 PM
I have a lot of animations and buttons which were made using flash. And most my 'art' content was made in flash but exported into a picture.

Text on my site is rare, but personally - I just want my current customers to enjoy and share my site... People randomly landing on my page isn't my goal yet. It might work wonders for gaining new clients, but I can list myself on other directory sites providing my website address, that's good enough for me I suppose.

I like to be crazy sometimes, the site is more for myself than to gain customers. Just something nice to look at lol.

Yeah, I understand. Look into Web Accessibility (http://www.w3.org/WAI/) if you feel like it. :)

I've worked in the web site industry since 1999 (on and off) so I've got a lot to say about it but, unfortunately, sometimes it seems a bit harsh even if that isn't my intention.

Steve
10-27-2010, 07:18 PM
There are a lot of web tools out there that can make a site really visual and graphic to the eye and then when it comes time for the search engine robots to index them, they tend to not do so well.

It is a shame, but if you know this is a problem, you can take it under advisement when you craft your site.

jaytime25
10-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi Jay,

Welcome to our forum!

Your site is real nice!

yes it will be indexed...had my search engine optimizer look at that and he was skeptical at first, but now google indexes flash sites

The Cleaning Doctor
10-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Although the 2 are intertwined, Indexing is separate from page rank and the two of them together combine to hand out SERPs. Search engine result pages.

Here is a good explanation of them both.

http://pcplus.techradar.com/node/3061

Your sites getting indexed mean absolutely nothing except that Google knows about you. A site with a lot of supporting text will be served up before a flash site because Google does not know what is in the flash.

Go to a site and click on the view menu option in your browser and choose view source. This is what Google sees. Firefox users select page source. Now count your words and then count your key words. Next you need to figure the % of the time your key word appears. 4-8% range is about right.

Much more and that is deemed as spammy. Normal conversational writing is what you want. Google can recognize this.

Here is one simple thing that you all can do to help your sites.

Instead of the photo you put on your site being named IMG_250.jpg rename the file Lawn Mowing Dallas TX.jpg (use your own city and state of course) Google can not tell what is in the picture but it can read the name.

For instance I have a site I am building and it has a deck staining page with 20 rotating pictures and all the pictures are named

Deck Staining City State 1(thru 20).jpg

This gets the key words

Deck Staining City State Recognized.

mark123
10-27-2010, 11:14 PM
I was just going to say something similar. Indexing the site doesn't mean it has a meaningful listing and I wouldn't count on it being anywhere near the first page.

cruzgardening
10-28-2010, 02:12 AM
Although the 2 are intertwined, Indexing is separate from page rank and the two of them together combine to hand out SERPs. Search engine result pages.

Here is a good explanation of them both.

http://pcplus.techradar.com/node/3061

Your sites getting indexed mean absolutely nothing except that Google knows about you. A site with a lot of supporting text will be served up before a flash site because Google does not know what is in the flash.

Go to a site and click on the view menu option in your browser and choose view source. This is what Google sees. Firefox users select page source. Now count your words and then count your key words. Next you need to figure the % of the time your key word appears. 4-8% range is about right.

Much more and that is deemed as spammy. Normal conversational writing is what you want. Google can recognize this.

Here is one simple thing that you all can do to help your sites.

Instead of the photo you put on your site being named IMG_250.jpg rename the file Lawn Mowing Dallas TX.jpg (use your own city and state of course) Google can not tell what is in the picture but it can read the name.

For instance I have a site I am building and it has a deck staining page with 20 rotating pictures and all the pictures are named

Deck Staining City State 1(thru 20).jpg

This gets the key words

Deck Staining City State Recognized.

how about using a company that puts your website to the top of the search engine? i had many companies calling me about that single service stating i would be on the top of the search each time people search my service in the area i service. Is that any good?

mark123
10-28-2010, 07:36 AM
how about using a company that puts your website to the top of the search engine? i had many companies calling me about that single service stating i would be on the top of the search each time people search my service in the area i service. Is that any good?
They'll sell the same thing to all the other people on the list as well. Who gets top billing? I don't see how it could be true.

The Cleaning Doctor
10-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I would be wary of anyone that guarantees top listing. Some can do it but that seems to be the catch phrase of the day. I am not guaranteeing this with mine but I will guarantee your ranking to increase.

Here's the thing everyone needs to be aware of, you need to understand what you are getting for your money. Don't settle for "we guarantee" you need to understand exactly what you are getting. They need to tell you what they are doing but not how they are doing it. If you are not careful and they are caught using blackhat tricks this can get your web site banned.

Steve
10-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Indexing the site doesn't mean it has a meaningful listing and I wouldn't count on it being anywhere near the first page.

I am glad you pointed that out.

For those who don't understand the difference between them, what is the difference?

Why isn't it just good enough for your site to be indexed? How does the indexing effect the actual position your website will appear on a search engine?

mark123
10-28-2010, 08:24 PM
If your site is "indexed" that just means it's in there ...

... somewhere. In other words google knows there is a site at http://boogiedownlawnmowing.com but without meaningful content google doesn't know that "mowing in Black Lick, PA" should point to it.

My local google results (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=mowing+16101&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) have served me well. I know there are some more things I should do and this winter I will be reading up on SEO more and trying to push other LCOs off the front page. ;)

Steve
10-29-2010, 06:16 PM
How many key words or phrases should the average lawn care business owner be looking to utilize and how often should these words or phrases appear in their web pages?

The Cleaning Doctor
10-29-2010, 07:15 PM
There is no set count on what to use but the rule of thumb is 4-6% so if you have 100 words then you should have 4-6 keywords. Not different ones, the same key word. Now you can have another 4-6 % of a different key word.

Less than that and it under performs. More than that and it looks like spam. That is what caused Google to discount the value of meta tags because web builders stuffed them with the same key word over and over.

By the way Jay was the first one to receive the SEO report on his site. It was 80 pages long and maybe he will drop in and let us know if he learned anything from it and the kind of information that it supplies. He has some work to do but it tells him where to do it.

mark123
10-29-2010, 07:30 PM
... By the way Jay was the first one to receive the SEO report on his site. It was 80 pages long and maybe he will drop in and let us know if he learned anything from it and the kind of information that it supplies. He has some work to do but it tells him where to do it.
May I ask how much that would cost for my site? :)

The Cleaning Doctor
10-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Sent a Private Message

Steve
10-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Yea I'd like to hear what Jay learned from it and what he is doing with that information.

The Cleaning Doctor
10-31-2010, 06:02 PM
I would love to hear what he is implementing also.

Here are some screen shots from a report. I had to black out the site name to protect the innocent..... LOL

You will notice that keyword optimization is below 50% in the body of the page. The report will also give you suggestions on where to fix the issues.

The report will also give you info on your competitors and their keywords etc.

Unfortunately I can't show you any of these types of pages as there is too much info about the site the reports were run against.

The attachments are real web site results and are for examples only. I will never post a report with anyone's info or with the ability for someone to figure out which site it was run on.

All I can say is that this particular site is in the pacific NW.

Text, Text, Text guys. Rankings will go up with more text than fancy flash or animation.

Flash or Animation looks cool but if you never get found on Google, what use is it? Plus, too much of this will cause your page to be slow to load. Have you ever clicked away from a page because it loaded too slow? People want info and they want it now. We are in an instant gratification society so you better be ready to serve it up or they will click on another site.

I am not against flash or animation but most tend to overdo it.

If you look at my wood restoration site (http://xtrememaintenance.com), you will see some Java with the photos and the reader board but there is also a lot of supporting text there. You will notice that the photos take some time to load, but in the mean time the text is there for the potential customer to read. I still have a lot of tweaking to do and some pages to finish but I wanted to start getting it crawled so by spring it is rocking.

Steve
10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
So then maybe they need to double the amount of keyword usage in the body of the site?

The Cleaning Doctor
10-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Not necessarily, If you look at the 4th photo, they are only using 162 words on the page and the SEO guide is telling them they need to be around 1300. There are so many factors that go into the rankings that you can not concentrate on one aspect. It may be that they have to add the key word 2 times to get up hear 100% optimization but it may also be that they have to add 500 words before they start to move up in %.

This software compares your site directly with your competitors in your area and if you can beat their % then you should rank higher in the results.

jaytime25
10-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Not necessarily, If you look at the 4th photo, they are only using 162 words on the page and the SEO guide is telling them they need to be around 1300. There are so many factors that go into the rankings that you can not concentrate on one aspect. It may be that they have to add the key word 2 times to get up hear 100% optimization but it may also be that they have to add 500 words before they start to move up in %.

This software compares your site directly with your competitors in your area and if you can beat their % then you should rank higher in the results.

i have to say i got a report done by this guy and he was pretty informative. Ive been trying to tweak my site. Ive gotten it from off the top 100 on page rank to 62 on google and 9 on yahoo or there abouts. I have been out of town and will be paying him to list in directories. I just wish i had the cash to pay 250 a month for him to do the optimization. I like to do work with people that help me out, just is out of my budget. Im just at a catch 22 right now, i need optimization to get business, but i dont have the business to pay that much for it right now. I tell my self, if i just get 1 more job a month i could afford it, but i havent been seen to get that business

jaytime25
10-31-2010, 08:34 PM
and i have since done even more adjusting to my website such as my h1 heading, some more keywords on home page and backlinking. Curious to see where it goes once it gets cached again

The Cleaning Doctor
10-31-2010, 09:07 PM
That is great to see it is working.

I did some checking after your first post and you are correct, you are moving up. Patience and steady work will eventually get you there.

One thing that will help your rankings guys. Take a look at my signature and that of Steve. You will see key word linking. Line mine Wood Restoration (http://xtrememaintenance.com/html/wood_staining.html) and Organic Lawn Care (http://xtrememaintenance.com/html/organic_svcs.html) are both linked to my site. Don't just link to your home pages but also link to interior pages. This way Google will rank your interior pages as well and you can start to have more than one listing on the results pages.

If you always link to one page, that is the one that will rank. Most likely the only one that will show up in the results page.

Steve
11-01-2010, 04:56 PM
How long should it take some of these changes to effect your search engine rankings?

It seems like much of this, isn't overnight.

jaytime25
11-01-2010, 06:04 PM
How long should it take some of these changes to effect your search engine rankings?

It seems like much of this, isn't overnight.

Right now, it seems that my website only gets recognized by google every 5 dAys.

Hedgemaster
11-01-2010, 07:01 PM
For the record, I can't even view the website. Apparently my old-assed OS isn't compatible with the most recent version of Flash.

That said, surely I'm in the minority, as most people can afford a new computer when they need one. LOL

mark123
11-01-2010, 07:16 PM
That said, surely I'm in the minority, as most people can afford a new computer when they need one. LOL
Actually, the number of folks that can't view flash content is growing every day with the advent of iPhone, iPod touch and the iPad.

The Cleaning Doctor
11-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Yet another reason to have enough text to make the sale.

mark123
11-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Yet another reason to have enough text to make the sale. To be honest, I'll use any argument against flash. :p It doesn't even have to be relevant. ;)

The Cleaning Doctor
11-01-2010, 07:57 PM
:D

The only thing I tend to use flash for is slide shows of photos but I still do a lot in java because some do not have flash viewer installed.

mark123
11-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Java??!?!?! What year is this?? ;) :D There's not even an <applet> tag any more, is there?

Oh, did you mean javascript? I'm quite smitten with jQuery. I love it. I may propose to it or maybe just shack up.

The Cleaning Doctor
11-01-2010, 08:04 PM
LOL .... yea javascript. Still laughing at that one...:)

The Cleaning Doctor
11-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Jay I took a look at your site today and I like the baseball theme for the background BUT,,,,, it takes a loooooooooooong time to load the page. It was longer than 10 seconds and that is a long time for a customer to wait. I would have hit the back button before the page loaded if I would have been a customer.

Just timed it and it took 15 seconds. The funky text is also hard to read, especially with the fading of the colors.

I don't mean to pick it apart but I am trying to help if I can.

jaytime25
11-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Jay I took a look at your site today and I like the baseball theme for the background BUT,,,,, it takes a loooooooooooong time to load the page. It was longer than 10 seconds and that is a long time for a customer to wait. I would have hit the back button before the page loaded if I would have been a customer.

Just timed it and it took 15 seconds. The funky text is also hard to read, especially with the fading of the colors.

I don't mean to pick it apart but I am trying to help if I can.

no problem, i changed it to grey

The Cleaning Doctor
11-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Dude you are working it!

You have gone from not being in the first 10 pages to being on the 4th page for lawn mowing and lawn care in just since you started making the changes in the report I sent you.

Pest control is going to be a little tougher as there is more competition but in time you will get there.

Your Alexa traffic ranking has gone up also. When we first talked your site was at 6M + and now is is just over 4 Million in rank. This means you are getting some traffic. Way to go.

FYI the lower the Alexa number the better. Google is #1

jaytime25
11-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Dude you are working it!

You have gone from not being in the first 10 pages to being on the 4th page for lawn mowing and lawn care in just since you started making the changes in the report I sent you.

Pest control is going to be a little tougher as there is more competition but in time you will get there.

Your Alexa traffic ranking has gone up also. When we first talked your site was at 6M + and now is is just over 4 Million in rank. This means you are getting some traffic. Way to go.

FYI the lower the Alexa number the better. Google is #1
Thanks for all your help

Dan5082
11-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Different insurances or have it .... ????

Dan5082
11-10-2010, 11:17 PM
They did it with thier electric biz they started with one and it did new installation and thier other did maintenance so I guess it could work but I don't know if its worth it . What I would do is file a biz called ( star ) enterprises then make a DBA - Doing Business As <= google if you don't know . So you can make one dba call star lawncare then pay $60 to file another . Star property mantenence . Anything .

JessyMathers
01-18-2011, 02:10 AM
The site was nicely designed on the pages however some of the info was hard to read. I would suggest using a different color of font and keep it all the same. Other than that nice job on the graphics.

nnyparts
02-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Content is still king! Flash won't rank well if at all. The keywords need to be embedding in at least one paragraph on the main page. Using keywords more than once in the code can get your site banned from Google search entirely.

An adword campaign is one way to also get ranking and you bid on how much your willing to pay per click and a daily, weekly and monthly budget. In the small engine parts area...$1.70 per click is not even the high end and that doesn't guarantee anyone will buy what your selling.

A word of advice is to watch who and where the clicks are coming from. Some sites pay people to click on links all day to bring in a revenue from Google ad-sense. Sites that run Google ads.

The sad thing is that most people still think if they were to have a website that it is going to get tons of visitors and business right off the bat. Our guarantee? Two...you and I! :)

What traffic and business? Have a nice eye appeal, simple to read (gear it toward the lowest user), great content of what people are searching for and no distractions. Remember...your website is geared toward your customer and their wants and needs...service, price and time line!!

Steve
02-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Have a nice eye appeal, simple to read (gear it toward the lowest user)

What is your view on this and how it applies to lawn care companies? What should they be doing to gear it towards the lowest user?

sweetleaf landscaping
02-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Sweet. Like it

jaytime25
01-18-2012, 11:18 PM
i now have my website on the first page of google for pest control in san marcos tx

Steve
01-19-2012, 04:11 PM
That is fantastic! What did you do to make that happen?