PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler Valve Low preasure

cruzgardening
10-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Hi im new to the forum and i have many questions but this is the most important one i can think of that i've encounter in the past.

Several months ago i installed a sprinkler system the water pressure was really good, measured 80psi i connected my main from the bottom of a 3/4 inch galvanized pipe, i used all PVC pipes, i installed one valve for the drip line and another valve for 7 sprinklers, both are in separate locations but connected from the the same main water.

now when i turned on the valve manually or with a timer the valve connected to the 7 sprinklers has no pressure at all the drip line is doing great. i did many things to solve the problem but it still persists... can someone help?

Steve
10-22-2010, 11:02 AM
First off, did the system ever work properly in both zones? Also did it work properly when they were both on at the same time?

As you test now, are you able to isolate the zones in your test?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
my understanding from what he is saying is there is only 2 valves 1 grass 1 plants. Did it work right to begin with? If nothings leaking are u sure the heads dont need to be cleaned. You always get some dirt in the pipe in a new build.

You said drip still ok but drip is low pressure anyways. Does house still have pressure?

cruzgardening
10-23-2010, 04:13 AM
my understanding from what he is saying is there is only 2 valves 1 grass 1 plants. Did it work right to begin with? If nothings leaking are u sure the heads dont need to be cleaned. You always get some dirt in the pipe in a new build.

You said drip still ok but drip is low pressure anyways. Does house still have pressure?

in the beginning i tested the whole thing before burying the pipes, like i usually do, there was no leaks, no brken pipes, i cleaned all the heads, there was a few at the ends that needed cleaning so i cleaned them all just in case, but the pressure was still low the mainline where i connected my pipes from is from under a water faucet, both the house and the water faucet have great pressure i cant put my finger on the problem, i did open the valve and checked the diaphragm like the manufacturer said but there was no debris in it everything was clean don't know what to do, my client has not complaint since there is still enough coverage but it bugs me cause i know there should be more pressure from previous jobs i done.

First off, did the system ever work properly in both zones? Also did it work properly when they were both on at the same time?

As you test now, are you able to isolate the zones in your test?

i have 2 valves connected so they work separately with the timer the drip line is doing good but the sprinkler line is not.

and when they where on at the same time the pressure looks the same nothing really changes.

brian'slawncare
10-23-2010, 08:16 AM
have you tried spliiting them into zones. Maybe the pressure now is only strong enough for 1 or 2 heads at a time...

Also....try retesting the pressure and see what you get

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-23-2010, 12:09 PM
well if thats the case you probably have to many heads. Are they the rotary kind? I think you can only get like 5 of those on a 3/4in line. Also is it 3/4 through out the whole system? You may want to consider converting the risers and sprinklers to 1/2in that will boost your pressure back up.

what are the dimentions of the yard.

cruzgardening
10-24-2010, 12:26 AM
well if thats the case you probably have to many heads. Are they the rotary kind? I think you can only get like 5 of those on a 3/4in line. Also is it 3/4 through out the whole system? You may want to consider converting the risers and sprinklers to 1/2in that will boost your pressure back up.

what are the dimentions of the yard.

the dimesions are 20x10 its a small rectangle i have 6", 1/2" risers that spread to 10 feet, the whole system is 3/4" and the sprinklers are 1/2" dont know what to do i might have to dig out the whole system and reinstall it.

have you tried spliiting them into zones. Maybe the pressure now is only strong enough for 1 or 2 heads at a time...

Also....try retesting the pressure and see what you get

i tested the house pressure its good 80psi and the faucets psi is also 80 spliting the zone was in my mind but i might as well install a brand new set up and deal with the problem once and for all :( thanks though

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-24-2010, 01:32 PM
the dimesions are 20x10 its a small rectangle i have 6", 1/2" risers that spread to 10 feet, the whole system is 3/4" and the sprinklers are 1/2" dont know what to do i might have to dig out the whole system and reinstall it.

Well my guess is to many heads on 1 line. If you do dig it up just put in another valve and dig up the closest 3-4 heads cap them off and put the new ones on the new valve.

The sad part in all this is I bet one head less and you have all the pressure you need. Speaking of that grab a female cap(or 2) and cap off 1(or 2) of the risers and see if that helps.

cruzgardening
10-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Well my guess is to many heads on 1 line. If you do dig it up just put in another valve and dig up the closest 3-4 heads cap them off and put the new ones on the new valve.

The sad part in all this is I bet one head less and you have all the pressure you need. Speaking of that grab a female cap(or 2) and cap off 1(or 2) of the risers and see if that helps.

i went back today to check out the property the grass is growing fine and water is well delivered but the pressure still low.

i capped 1 sprinkler nothing i capped 2 nothing i capped 3 and pressure went up... thats only 4 sprinklers for that one valve!!! no freaking way! any ideas? im so stuck...

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-30-2010, 01:42 PM
i went back today to check out the property the grass is growing fine and water is well delivered but the pressure still low.

i capped 1 sprinkler nothing i capped 2 nothing i capped 3 and pressure went up... thats only 4 sprinklers for that one valve!!! no freaking way! any ideas? im so stuck...

Well put those 3 on a different valve. Thats all you really can do.

Steve
10-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe that property simply has very low water pressure.

Well put those 3 on a different valve. Thats all you really can do.

If you put them on different zones, you could run them at different times and that might increase the pressure due to the fact they would have less drain on the pressure with other sprinklers in operation at once?

cruzgardening
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Maybe that property simply has very low water pressure.

If you put them on different zones, you could run them at different times and that might increase the pressure due to the fact they would have less drain on the pressure with other sprinklers in operation at once?

i dug out the whole system and replaced the whole thing new pipes new valves and new sprinklers and to my surprise there was so much pressure... what did i do wrong the first time??

MountainViewGreenskeeper
11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
well how many zones this time?

cruzgardening
11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
well how many zones this time?

i did the exact same layout different brand valves and different brand sprinklers but better pressure not sure where i went wrong...

the first time i was using the JTV/AS and JTV/ASF Series
Anti-Siphon Jar Top Sprinkler Valves now i went with the cheaper ones, Orbit Automatic Anti-Siphon valves and i was using the rain bird sprinklers and i changed them to orbit sprinklers the drip valves stayed the same brand (rainBird) and well everything works great but i dont know what i did wrong the first time i checked for leaks or any pressure loss within the pipes and i could not find one o well

MountainViewGreenskeeper
11-03-2010, 08:46 PM
not a clue then man. That sucks. The only thing that comes to mind then. Did a rock maybe get stuck inside. Cleaning the sprinklers heads wouldnt change any of that.

cruzgardening
11-04-2010, 02:54 AM
not a clue then man. That sucks. The only thing that comes to mind then. Did a rock maybe get stuck inside. Cleaning the sprinklers heads wouldnt change any of that.

Thank you very much for the tips though i do think something got stuck inside the pipe i will look in there and will give u the 411 when im done with it tomorrow :)

Steve
11-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Has this project changed the way you look at irrigation repair and bidding such jobs?

cruzgardening
11-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Has this project changed the way you look at irrigation repair and bidding such jobs?

well since i did the job im going to take a lot more care in the way i set up the irrigation system next time and totally checking it twice before i close up the trenches :)

the bidding well i charged the client enough to cover for the extra day i worked on the job and of course it covered the new materials also :)