PDA

View Full Version : Is the newspaper business going to die?

Steve
10-25-2006, 09:35 PM
What's your view on the newspaper business? Jack Welch used to run GE. He is a very smart guy. I wonder what growth he sees in the newspaper business.

The Globe's daily paid circulation fell 8.5 percent to about 397,000 copies for the six-month period that ended March 31, compared with the same period in 2005, according to data published by the Audit Bureau of Circulations.

When I read statements like the above, it reaffirms what I feel and that is the newspaper business is a slowly wasting away.

What's your view?

Jack Welch may bid on Boston Globe (http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/25/news/newsmakers/bc.media.times.globe.reut/index.htm?postversion=2006102517)
Welch and a local businessman are working with JP Morgan, which valued the paper at $550 million to $600 million. - Two prominent Boston businessmen, including retired General Electric Co. chief Jack Welch, may make an offer to buy The Boston Globe from New York Times Co., the Globe reported Wednesday.

Describing the plan as preliminary and quoting executives involved in the discussions, the newspaper said Welch and local businessman Jack Connors were working with J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. (up $0.13 to $47.27, Charts), which valued the Globe at $550 million to $600 million.

tiedeman
10-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I always love to read newspapers and magazines though. I constantly have something in front of me that I am reading...just ask my wife.

But I do admit, that I am constantly reading most of the news online. I usually try to get five prespectives from online; cbs, fox, msnbc, new york times, and reuters. That is where I basically get all of my news online from

tiedeman
10-25-2006, 09:40 PM
What is funny about the media is the representation though. *For example, my wife is from Canada. *And whenever we make the trip to visit her family it's always a breath of fresh air to get a different respresentation of the news from a different country. *You can really learn a lot and widen your opinions about different things

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-26-2006, 09:02 AM
I read the newspaper everyday cover to cover and I enjoy it so I hope it is not going anywhere. I do however think the business in consolidating and getting smaller with the popularity of the internet.