PDA

View Full Version : What's it take to be great?

Steve
10-23-2006, 09:55 PM
What's your view. Are successful and talented people born with a gifted natural ability or is it something we all have the potential to do, we just need practice?

What it takes to be great (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/10/30/8391794/index.htm?postversion=2006101915) - What makes Tiger Woods great? What made Berkshire Hathaway (Charts) Chairman Warren Buffett the world's premier investor? We think we know: Each was a natural who came into the world with a gift for doing exactly what he ended up doing. As Buffett told Fortune not long ago, he was "wired at birth to allocate capital." It's a one-in-a-million thing. You've got it - or you don't.

Well, folks, it's not so simple. For one thing, you do not possess a natural gift for a certain job, because targeted natural gifts don't exist. (Sorry, Warren.) You are not a born CEO or investor or chess grandmaster. You will achieve greatness only through an enormous amount of hard work over many years. And not just any hard work, but work of a particular type that's demanding and painful.

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-25-2006, 08:07 AM
Amen, everyone has the potential but not everyone has the work ethic. Success takes hard work, determination and time. I think in todays society especially with young people they are always looking for instant gratification with very little effort put forth.

Steve
10-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Quote[/b] ]I think in todays society especially with young people they are always looking for instant gratification with very little effort put forth.

Has it ever been any different though? I mean in general if people don't see something happen soon after they put energy into a project, don't most just stop doing it?

That's my view at least. How often do we all give up too soon on things when if we stuck to them a little longer, we would have had different results?

Howard Roark
10-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Great posts and great article on a fasincating subject. After all, this covers the questions that Tony Robbins and all other success gurus have tried to learn and teach for years.

What makes someone, even despite terrible odds, a winner, while others who seem to have it all end up losing?

It's obvious we all can't be great at everything, even with great effort as we would most certainly see a lot more successful people out there.

I think it comes down to doing things you love, and hopefully you're really good at them as well. I think a lot has to do with if you do something because you truly enjoy it, then the rest will always follow.

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-26-2006, 08:00 AM
I think everyone is good at something, it's just a matter of recognizing it and having the work ethic to be successful at it. I have known since a very young age that I had talent when it came to art and creating things in general, in fact I was aware of my talent even before my parents. I estimate I have spent about 20 years professionally honing my talent and working to get where I am today and I think I am fairly successful in that I make a good living doing something I am good which I love to do. And you are right not just young people but most people in general don't stick with something long ewnough to become successful no matter how good they are at it. There is a pretty famous investor named William J. Oneill and he has written some books on investing which I have read and he states in one of his books that so many people come so close to success only to give up just before they get their. Incidently I follow his investment techniques and do all of my own investing in the stock market and I have made some decent money. Before I started reading his books I knew nothing about investing in stocks and mutual funds and I have become fairly good at it so he must know something.