PDA

View Full Version : Chipper/shreader valve sticking

jasonw
10-17-2010, 12:48 PM
So I found out why my chipper would not run. I was checking spark yesterday and looking in the spark plug hole and noticed the intake valve was stuck opened. I taped it lightly but that didn't help so I soaked it with turbine oil then tapped again to no avail. Is there an way to fix this without tearing the head off?

jklawncare
10-17-2010, 01:13 PM
if you can and your expierienced or comfortable remove whats covering the 2 valve springs

look and see if the washer has come off of the valve stem and if its damaged
this could be whats keeping it open

the springs may be tricky to handle without specialty tools but theres always a way and its not expensive if you find yourself not being able to get the spring in.

just make ure if you take out both vaves (no reason too) but if you do

label the springs
one will be longer than the other and if you mix the up thats not a good thing

jasonw
10-17-2010, 02:39 PM
if you can and your expierienced or comfortable remove whats covering the 2 valve springs

look and see if the washer has come off of the valve stem and if its damaged
this could be whats keeping it open

the springs may be tricky to handle without specialty tools but theres always a way and its not expensive if you find yourself not being able to get the spring in.

just make ure if you take out both vaves (no reason too) but if you do

label the springs
one will be longer than the other and if you mix the up thats not a good thing

I know how to remove the valves and everything to get it fixed. My question is, Is there an easier way without disassembling the head and replacing head gasket? My worry is this is a nightmare motor and I am not yet sure if it runs anyway even if the valve was not stuck as I upgraded the intake and have yet to get it running. Id hate to dump time and money into it just to find out its shot anyway.

On that note its 5hp I think, I have a good running 2hp that will bolt right up in its lace. Do I have to worry about how the teeth and wheel mount to the crankshaft or are all smaller HP B&S pretty much the same? Will a 2hp even turn the wheel?

fieroboi
10-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Will a 2hp even turn the wheel?

If there is a 5hp motor on it now, a 2hp replacement would not work. I'm sure that your chipper may run with it, but it would not chip much or be so slow that it would be smarter to replace it with another 5hp motor.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

jasonw
10-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks I have been considering this swap for a few months now but figured a 2hp would not be worth it. I just want the damn thing to run. My corn field is cut down and the old stalks are waiting to be shredded lol.

jasonw
10-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks I have been considering this swap for a few months now but figured a 2hp would not be worth it. I just want the damn thing to run. My corn field is cut down and the old stalks are waiting to be shredded lol.

That being said where can I get the info I need on the motor to get a new head gasket? All my engines have numbers on the PS sticker but this one just says "5HP"

Steve
10-18-2010, 11:48 AM
If it hasnt run in a while. There might be a ton of things stuck in there with the old gas turning to a thick glue.

If it isnt running and you can take it apart, why not do it. I wouldn't sweat the gasket, i bet you can use some liquid gasket when you put it back together.

http://www.starbrite.com/Prodimages/82910.jpg

jasonw
10-22-2010, 01:00 PM
If it hasnt run in a while. There might be a ton of things stuck in there with the old gas turning to a thick glue.

If it isnt running and you can take it apart, why not do it. I wouldn't sweat the gasket, i bet you can use some liquid gasket when you put it back together.

http://www.starbrite.com/Prodimages/82910.jpg

We are talking about a head gasket here. I am not sure liquid gasket will work will it? I dont even think its recommended to reuse it once the head is off.

Steve
10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I can't remember for sure if I have ever used it on a head gasket, but if it was something I wanted to take apart and quickly clean and throw back together, I would probably use it. If it leaked, I would simply replace it with a gasket.