PDA

View Full Version : Part-time in PA

TheFallGuy
10-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Hey everyone, I've worked full time the past 5+ years at a 3rd party logistics company, and just like everyone else now adays, could use some extra income (gettin married next year!). I work about 10 hours a day at my current job, so any other part time job i looked at just wasnt flexible enough to work around my work schedule. So I decided to start my own outdoor maintanance company for leaf cleanup, cutting up fallen trees, removing hornets nests ( i was an exterminator in college), gutter cleaning, ect... I've got a chainsaw, in the process of purchasing a backpack blower, and will be getting an extension ladder this weekend. I've created some pull tab flyers to put up on bulletin boards, and am going to make up some regular flyers to go door to door with in some neighborhoods.

Soo that's were I'm at so far... doing my first customer this weekend, cutting up some fallen trees and older woman I work with has in her yard, so it's a start i guess... seems like a lot of good info on here so i look forward to learning from you guys!

StartALawnCareBusiness
10-14-2010, 08:53 PM
The"Fall"Guy. For leaf cleanup.

HaHa, I like it.

Do you have a big nasty pickup truck like Lee Majors drove?

http://www.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2006/08/fallguy_kit.jpg

TheFallGuy
10-15-2010, 07:07 AM
haha, i wish!! I have a white dodge ram, but i think maybe i should at least consider a two tone brown paint job... haha

Steve
10-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Welcome to our forum!

How are you scheduling your lawn care jobs along with working full time?

What is your big plan with it? Do you want to be a full time business owner in the future or will your business be kept to a part time status?

TheFallGuy
10-15-2010, 09:26 PM
thanks!

Well for now, I am planning on scheduling weekends and evenings after work (as long as I have the daylight). I created a website with a free estimate request form on it, and have posted tear away fliers where I can find bulletin boards (some grocery stores, library, coffee shops, ect.), but haven't had any success yet. This weekend I am going to cut up some small fallen trees for an elderly coworker, so hopefully that will get the ball rolling. Also this weekend I plan on creating some fliers to go door to door with in a few local neighborhoods.

For now I am planning on just doing it part time for some extra money, but who knows?! It could grow into a full time thing, we'll just have to see what happens and roll with the punches.

If anyone has any other good marketing ideas, I would love to hear them. Also if anyone wants to check out my website and give me some constructive critisism, that would be welcomed also! www.fallguyonline.com

Thanks!

Steve
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Have you gotten signs on your truck and trailer yet?

It is very nice of you to help your elderly co-worker. But it would be even better if you had some signs on your vehicle so neighbors in the area could tell you were a business and could approach you about work on their property.

TheFallGuy
10-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Have you gotten signs on your truck and trailer yet?

It is very nice of you to help your elderly co-worker. But it would be even better if you had some signs on your vehicle so neighbors in the area could tell you were a business and could approach you about work on their property.

No not yet. And for now I only have a truck no trailer. I just have a backpac blower, chainsaw, rake, gas cans, and bags for right now, so all that stuff can fit in the back of my truck with no problem. I am just limited in how much debris i can haul at one time.

I was thinking of getting a couple of magnetic signs made for my truck doors though.

Steve
10-18-2010, 11:42 AM
I was thinking of getting a couple of magnetic signs made for my truck doors though.

Good! I think that is so very important.