PDA

View Full Version : Snapper Pro S50x for commercial use?

Reminisce32
10-14-2010, 02:45 PM
How does this lawn mower look for commercial use? I'm looking at the 36'' 20/19-hp Kawasaki

http://www.snapperpro.com/models/features/5:s50x

StartALawnCareBusiness
10-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I've never used this particular mower but I have always liked Snapper and I LOVE the Kawasaki motor they put on the Snapper brand.

The welded, reinforced deck skirt and the hydro coolers are huge pluses.

It looks like a great machine to me.

Keith

Reminisce32
10-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Keith,

for $500 more I can get a 48'' deck but with a 26hp Briggs & Stratton motor, or for $1000 more a 48'' 26hp Kawasaki. I really want the 48'' deck and dont mind spending $500 more for it, but I don't want to spend 1k more. What do you think about the Briggs & Stratton motor?

Reminisce32
10-15-2010, 12:16 PM
and most of the yards I will be doing will be 1 1/4 acres.. I know a 48'' will be better but do you think I will regret it if I get a 36''?

StartALawnCareBusiness
10-15-2010, 12:34 PM
The only real reason I would suggest getting a 36" over a 48" is if you have tight yards or yards with gates that prevent entry with a 48".

If you don't have tight yards or yards with small gates, go with a 48". The 4' deck is a universal choice because it is big enough to quickly handle most yards but small enough to maneuver along undulations in the ground without scalping.

Any Kawasaki engine I've ever had has been bullet proof including the one I accidentally ran without oil one time...and it was still operational years afterward.

$1000 extra is certainly a lot of money but, in the long run, if you have it in your budget, you won't regret purchasing the better equipment.

Good luck:

Keith

justin_time
10-15-2010, 05:40 PM
How does this lawn mower look for commercial use? I'm looking at the 36'' 20/19-hp Kawasaki

http://www.snapperpro.com/models/features/5:s50x

If you are just about to start, sure, but then you'll notice it won't be as tough for the work you do so you'll probably consider upgrading to a commercial one right of way that way you have more longevity in your mower

Just a heads up

Reminisce32
10-15-2010, 08:49 PM
If you are just about to start, sure, but then you'll notice it won't be as tough for the work you do so you'll probably consider upgrading to a commercial one right of way that way you have more longevity in your mower

Just a heads upFrom what I've been told the machine I posted is commercial.

justin_time
10-15-2010, 09:20 PM
From what I've been told the machine I posted is commercial.

It doesn't look commercial too me. It may be commercial but probably semi-commercial which is not really commercial for heavy duty use. This one looks like for someone that uses it once a week to cut their own grass and has a big yard

StartALawnCareBusiness
10-15-2010, 10:01 PM
My understanding is that it's a commercial machine.

It might not be a heavy duty commercial machine, as Justin said, but it definately is far above a residential unit.

Though the deck is fabricated, it has welded side skirts. It has coolers on the hydro pumps. Its cast aluminum spindles look to be designed to commercial specifications. It even mentions a commercial warranty in the spec sheet.

Reminisce, does this model also come with a joystick option? I need to drop by my local dealer to acquaint myself with this model.

Keith

Reminisce32
10-15-2010, 10:53 PM
My understanding is that it's a commercial machine.

It might not be a heavy duty commercial machine, as Justin said, but it definately is far above a residential unit.

Though the deck is fabricated, it has welded side skirts. It has coolers on the hydro pumps. Its cast aluminum spindles look to be designed to commercial specifications. It even mentions a commercial warranty in the spec sheet.

Reminisce, does this model also come with a joystick option? I need to drop by my local dealer to acquaint myself with this model.

Keith
Not sure what a joystick option is. Heard of it though?

Steve
10-16-2010, 07:56 PM
most of the yards I will be doing will be 1 1/4 acres.. I know a 48'' will be better but do you think I will regret it if I get a 36''?

1 1/4 acres = 54450 sqft.

Now using the mow time calculator (http://lawnchat.com/?page_id=341)

A 36" walk behind mower would take approx 1hr & 30 minutes to mow.

A 48" walk behind would take approx 1hr 16 minutes to mow.

Approx a 15 minute difference. So say you had 5 (1 & 1/2 acre) properties to mow in a day.

The 36" mower would do it in 7hrs 30 minutes.
The 48" mower would do it in 6hrs 33 minutes. Thus shaving off an hour per day.

Now say if charged $60 a day to mow. If you gained 1 more hour a day because of a larger mower, that would be a gain of $300 a week or $1200 extra a month!

If you mowed for 8 months out of the year, that would be an added $9600 a year!

When you save time, you can get more work done and make more money.