PDA

View Full Version : What is it Worth? Toro Recycler 21"

Hedgemaster
10-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I've been mowing for a friend of the family. The property belonged to a deceased family member and they asked me to maintain it until it sold. One "perk" was that I could use the lawnmower that was in the shed. Well, the house finally sold and he has no use for the mower, so I offered to buy it. "Make me an offer", he said... "What is it worth?"

I didn't know what too tell him, so I thought I'd see if anyone was familiar with this particular mower.

I don't know how old it is, but it certainly looks like at least five years or so.
I've replaced the cable for the self propel and have a new gas tank waiting to be put on, as it is currently leaking. Fuel line should probably be replaced while I'm at it.

The reason I'm looking to buy it is because I currently own a 10 year old Craftsman 7hp self propel bagger (RUNS great, but vibrates like mad due to bent shaft), and an old Homelite 20" 5hp that runs well, but is a mulcher ONLY, and the self propel is rather slow.

I don't know if this particular Toro that I'm looking to purchase is one of the better models sold by dealers, or if it's a "box store" mower, but my HOPE is that I can get a "decent" mower that will hold me over until I can afford a GOOD one next year.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/powersportsdlr/images/NewVehicles/superrecycler.jpg

Toro Recycler MODEL # 20035
Personal Pace
21"
Rear bag/mulch/side discharge
6hp B&S engine
SN 210002562 (if that helps to identify it's actual age)

Any input is appreciated!

p.s.
I was thinking of offering $100. Too much? About right?

mark123
10-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Personal pace mowers are the homeowner versions. Good stuff and quality cut but they just don't last for commercial purposes. I have one and I used it for 2 yards last year and it just doesn't go anymore. The little plastic drive parts in the axles are destroyed. Fixing it is more than it's worth.

20035 is circa 2001.

Hedgemaster
10-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Personal pace mowers are the homeowner versions. Good stuff and quality cut but they just don't last for commercial purposes. I have one and I used it for 2 yards last year and it just doesn't go anymore. The little plastic drive parts in the axles are destroyed. Fixing it is more than it's worth.

20035 is circa 2001.

Not necessarily. I was just looking at a website that has commercial/landscaper models with "personal pace". Not saying this one is though.

If it's really that old, perhaps $100 is too much...

mark123
10-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Not necessarily. I was just looking at a website that has commercial/landscaper models with "personal pace". Not saying this one is though.The Toro commercial dealers also sell homeowner models. As far as I know, none of the personal pace are commercial grade. The commercial versions have a 3-speed transmission with the shift lever near the rear wheels and a swing handle instead of the personal pace push lever.

If it's really that old, perhaps $100 is too much...
Mine was free. Well, I had to put $30 in parts on it to get it running. It does a nice job but its not "self-propelled" any more. Sometimes one wheel works and it jerks the mower out of the nice line you're trying to mow. ;)

Hedgemaster
10-10-2010, 03:09 PM
I remembered that I know a guy who works at a Toro dealer across the state, so I sent him a message, and he confirmed that it's a 2001 and believes that they sold for $349 new.
He suggested an offer of $50-$60.

hounddog
10-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I've been mowing for a friend of the family. The property belonged to a deceased family member and they asked me to maintain it until it sold. One "perk" was that I could use the lawnmower that was in the shed. Well, the house finally sold and he has no use for the mower, so I offered to buy it. "Make me an offer", he said... "What is it worth?"

I didn't know what too tell him, so I thought I'd see if anyone was familiar with this particular mower.

I don't know how old it is, but it certainly looks like at least five years or so.
I've replaced the cable for the self propel and have a new gas tank waiting to be put on, as it is currently leaking. Fuel line should probably be replaced while I'm at it.

The reason I'm looking to buy it is because I currently own a 10 year old Craftsman 7hp self propel bagger (RUNS great, but vibrates like mad due to bent shaft), and an old Homelite 20" 5hp that runs well, but is a mulcher ONLY, and the self propel is rather slow.

I don't know if this particular Toro that I'm looking to purchase is one of the better models sold by dealers, or if it's a "box store" mower, but my HOPE is that I can get a "decent" mower that will hold me over until I can afford a GOOD one next year.

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/powersportsdlr/images/NewVehicles/superrecycler.jpg

Toro Recycler MODEL # 20035
Personal Pace
21"
Rear bag/mulch/side discharge
6hp B&S engine
SN 210002562 (if that helps to identify it's actual age)

Any input is appreciated!

p.s.
I was thinking of offering $100. Too much? About right?

i have a personal pace mower and it is 10 years old and running great, if it has side discharge it is a home owner if not it is a pro deck

Hedgemaster
10-10-2010, 08:00 PM
I used it today to mow my own lawn. I'm also noticing that the back wheels are not turning freely when I pull it backwards. Not sure what the cause is yet, but until I know if it's an easy fix, that's another strike against it.