PDA

View Full Version : Calling ALL Floridians...

MAKLawnCutter
10-08-2010, 02:02 PM
SO!

We all live in Florida and seem to want to work with one another, job too big, vacation weeks, unexpected machine issues. We all can use the assistance one way or another.

I am big into Networking, i think all in all we can help each other. I would like to organize a once monthly or bi-monthly meeting of the minds for us. Meet up somewhere, get dinner, have BBQ bring the families, finally relax, sit and socialize, talk about our ups and downs, share ideas.

If you are into this idea, please let me know. I have local connections with Seminole County Sheriffs, Winter Garden PD, Seminole and Orange Counties disaster relief. I am registered with DeBary Business Chamber of Commerce. I would like to bring all of the landscaping companies, lawn maintenance companies, roofers, plumbers and handy-men/women of Central Florida together before spring of 2011.

We all know that we see 5+ trucks at the gas station... ever wondered "how are they paying to fill it all?" or "Who does their repairs?" Well, why cant we share all business ideas together? We all cut grass.

Matt

Steve
10-10-2010, 03:28 AM
Matt,

Great idea. Have you tried talking to a few contractors that you meet locally and pick a date to see if they will show up? Even if you could get a couple together at first, I bet you could expand it over time.

Have you tried to talk to local business owners yet? What kind of responses have you gotten so far?

Also, by being a member of the chamber of commerce, have you tried to do something through that organization? Maybe that would be helpful?

MAKLawnCutter
10-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Well, i have been talking on the regular with a few of my buddies that run small bi-weekly stuff, thats about it. One friend runs full time and thinks he is better than anything in his service area. He wants no part in it due to his high ego. He will still show up tho ;). Told him he could voice all of his opinions on the local and attempt to find a lawn mower since he always uses mine.

Matt

Steve
10-12-2010, 07:27 AM
I could see how egos could get in the way of something like this. Maybe you could put some flyers up at local mower shops? Or maybe even have the gatherings at different mower shops?

MAKLawnCutter
10-12-2010, 02:29 PM
I didnt think about the mower shop meetings. That would be awesome :). I am thinking about having the first meeting at my buddies place, he owns an empty lot next to his house, its all cleared out and covered by trees, he is my techy for my truck and equipment, and the only place i know of that can hold more than 3 trucks and trailers. HE could use a little pocket change anyways. . . He runs once monthly route of 6 lawns. Slowly he is listening to me about business savviness.

Matt

The Cleaning Doctor
10-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow no takers from this forum? This is a great idea to network like this.

Steve
10-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Wow no takers from this forum? This is a great idea to network like this.

It is always tough to get anyone to do anything. Even with people you know it is tough.

But if you can start with a small group and work it over time, it will grow.

MAKLawnCutter
10-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Priceless. I have had one response since i posted this, and he didnt call me back.

Gotta love support.

Matt

Steve
10-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Don't give up :)

LawnMoore
10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Im in florida,

Alachua/Levy/Gilchrist/Dixie Counties.

We are a ways apart still.

musician/lawnman
10-17-2010, 09:38 PM
I am in primarily Charlotte County (& southern Sarasota county), quite a drive to you. Besides, I tried to arrange a local lawn maintenance association a couple years ago (I am sure there are still posts on here about it) & only got 1 meeting together. I found that everyone has things to bit*h about & nobody has the answers at that stage. Once they figure it out, they are not willing to help out the competition with advice. I have maintained friendships with a few of the guys I met in that meeting, I gave one a bit of advice on something & he stabbed me in the back with it. I was once optimistic (like you seem to be now) about a big helpful coalition of companies for the greater good of all of us & the industry.... Now I could care less for (the most part) what my competition is or isn't doing right. I have my own issues to deal with. That's the other thing.... there seems to be no "standard" way to run a lawn/landscape service. Every guy out there is different. Guy 1 likes per cuts & hates trimming trees, guy 2 does monthly accounts only & includes everything from trimming to weed control, to fert in the package. Guy 3 does just mowing in a monthly deal (but bills in advance) & everything else is an upsell.... the right way is just differences in opinions & everybody's is different. good luck to you sir!

Steve
10-18-2010, 12:58 PM
Chuck I do remember you putting this together. This concept does come up from time to time and it has great intentions.

As someone who has been through this before, do you think this is a good way or not to meet others in your area that could potentially help you if you wanted to take a vacation or if you were injured? Or do you feel there are better ways to go about it?

TheGoat
11-20-2010, 11:59 AM
E-mail sent.

hawthornelawncare
01-12-2011, 01:21 AM
Hello everyone. Well it would be nice to get some people togethar. I dont feel one is out to take customers but to network and strenthing the industry. Maybe we can have a meeting and i can contact the pinellas extention office and see if someone could come out and share some important info that pertains to the lawn care industry