PDA

View Full Version : Check out my Deer

picframer
10-07-2010, 06:28 AM
Not the green kind.....have a crew on a site doing a tree clean up job while I build a rock wall around the property line, this mother deer is one of the larger ones I have seen in my life, she comes by every day around lunch, she will come within 10 feet of us when we are eating, there are four here all together and all seem to be quite tame. I saw a beautiful pheasant here two days ago but couldn't get a picture, sure love nature and having it around job sites is a thrill for everyone.

Steve
10-07-2010, 05:11 PM
That is really cool! As I was looking at the picture, I was thinking, how the heck did he get that close to the deer? Maybe someone out there is feeding them or they are simply acclimated to being around people?

That certainly makes for a fun day, seeing all that nature.

picframer
10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
That is really cool! As I was looking at the picture, I was thinking, how the heck did he get that close to the deer? Maybe someone out there is feeding them or they are simply acclimated to being around people?

That certainly makes for a fun day, seeing all that nature.

They have to be used to people, I worked there today on an excavator building a wall and they were within 20 feet, when I stop they come closer. What they are doing is eating something we call grandpa's beard, it grows on spruce trees and when we cut the trees down it's easy food.

Steve
10-08-2010, 04:08 AM
Is there hunting allowed in that immediate area or no? I'd figure there wouldn't be if they are so used to people being around.

picframer
10-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Is there hunting allowed in that immediate area or no? I'd figure there wouldn't be if they are so used to people being around.

Legally no, does it happen, Yes. Mainly bow hunters, I know on my own property I have close to 6 acres and we have deer, I have found deer blinds in trees twice over the years, called authorities and nothing ever happened, I did tear them down.

Steve
10-10-2010, 03:23 AM
That is very interesting. With the deer so close to people, is there any problem in your area with lyme disease? From the deer ticks?

picframer
10-10-2010, 05:06 AM
That is very interesting. With the deer so close to people, is there any problem in your area with lyme disease? From the deer ticks?

In some areas of our Province yes, in the area where I live no there are no issues reported that I am aware of, biggest issue is Poison Ivy.

Steve
10-10-2010, 07:15 AM
With all those deer around, it might be fun to set out a deer salt lick and a motion sensor camera to see what kind of deer show up.

http://images.veer.com/IMG/PIMG/MPP/1683370_P.jpg

picframer
10-10-2010, 07:33 AM
With all those deer around, it might be fun to set out a deer salt lick and a motion sensor camera to see what kind of deer show up.

http://images.veer.com/IMG/PIMG/MPP/1683370_P.jpg

We have a site, private comminity, 7 homes we look after called Deer Run, one day I was helping a mowing crew when I saw something run across the common area, I though at first it was a Red Great Dane dog, later on however I saw it up close, it was a red deer, I had never herd of it or seen one before. I asked one of the older clients about it and he said yes we have them, they were introduced here years ago from Europe, OMG they are beautiful.

jklawncare
10-11-2010, 12:15 AM
I see 4 or 5 deer in the middle of my yard every morning because i live in the middle (towards the end) of some woods and the deer just wander.

you can get fairly close to all of them without them being scared because there so used to it..

the most ive seen at one time was 12 some moms and dads and childeren all laying in a large field of grass around 6-7 pm

ill take some pictures..they look alot different then the one you showed.. there a lighter color brown and some are kinda spotted

Steve
10-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Are the red ones similar in size to the other deer? Do they get bigger or are they smaller?

ill take some pictures..they look alot different then the one you showed.. there a lighter color brown and some are kinda spotted

looking forwards to it.

picframer
10-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Are the red ones similar in size to the other deer? Do they get bigger or are they smaller?

looking forwards to it.

Here,, they are about the same size, maybe a little shorter....shocking to see something new like this.