PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding

Buck's Landscaping
10-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I have a yard thats st. augustine with heavy thatch and want to overseed with perrenial rye. I know the grass has a dense canopy but should i go about removing the thatch first then a tight mow then overseed? Any suggestions would be greatful.

Thanks

picframer
10-07-2010, 04:58 AM
I have a yard thats st. augustine with heavy thatch and want to overseed with perrenial rye. I know the grass has a dense canopy but should i go about removing the thatch first then a tight mow then overseed? Any suggestions would be greatful.

Thanks

Cut it really short, I try for 2.25 inches, dethatch, we apply half the amount of required seed seed, we go back over with what we call a landscape rake, it`s a 48 or 60 inch rake to ensure all the seed isn`t just on top, seed again and then fertilize.

The seeder we have, forget who makes it has a pound per square foot setting, it wet it at half the required amount, the walk behind and hand spreaders have these settings as well.

cleancutlawncare5382
10-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I did a yard about 3 weeks ago. I cut this one a little shorter ( 1.5" ). It also had some patches of crab grass,

* I removed crabgrass which left pockets of bare soil.
* Dethatched area with dethatching rack.
* Over seeded area
* went back over with garden rack (make sure seed down on soil)
* Fertilized with Natures Magic.

Lawn seems to be doing well. We have had light rains which help.