PDA

View Full Version : Bought an FS 90 for $140 off craigslist

Fresh Cut
10-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Crossed my mind when I met the guy that it might be stolen but I had already made up my mind I wanted/needed it by that time so I still bought it.

Usually I would walk away, no matter what the case. I feel like supporting a thief is not only bad karma but unethical. Ok, maybe I said that backwards.

If I keep the "set-back man" afloat, as me and my LCO buddies call 'em, then there is only a matter of time before he sets me back, and by doing so, sets my company back.

The next day I made $120 on a yard with it by clearing a field of above-knee grass before cutting it with my walk-behind.

I'm conflicted.

Discuss.

picframer
10-06-2010, 05:18 AM
Tough call, not sure what I would have done honestly but here is what I do know, you bought and paid for it, use and enjoy it and do not let it bother you.

Fresh Cut
10-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Tough call, not sure what I would have done honestly but here is what I do know, you bought and paid for it, use and enjoy it and do not let it bother you.

lol, ok andy. I'll do that, and try not to let it bother me.

But what if I come across an Exmark 52" Turf Tracer HP for $900 from same guy? :confused:

Steve
10-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Can't you find out if it is stolen with the model number and contacting the manufacturer?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-06-2010, 05:26 PM

But what if I come across an Exmark 52" Turf Tracer HP for $900 from same guy? :confused:

Ya but thats not quite the same is it? $140 is ok to great price for it depending on condition. Now if it was a new or slightly used for say 20 30 bucks then your exmark analogy works.

But ya check with the manufacture to see if it is stolen.

picframer
10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Can't you find out if it is stolen with the model number and contacting the manufacturer?

Depends on the dealer, all Stihl equipment is supposed to be registered, I know mine is as Deere registers all Stihl sold then I receive a conformation and thank you letter from Stihl.

picframer
10-06-2010, 06:31 PM

That one would be easy for me, I would walk. We all work hard to get ahead, if someone did take that from a company like us, I would not support it, ask the fellow where he bought it and follow up, who knows it could be ligit.

Steve
10-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Crossed my mind when I met the guy that it might be stolen but I had already made up my mind I wanted/needed it by that time so I still bought it.

Was there something shady about the person you bought it from that kind of got your mind thinking this or was it simply because of the price?

MAKLawnCutter
10-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Ever imagine... it is the end of the season and people are going to be selling OLDer equipment they dont want anymore, for crack head prices? I am waiting on a drug-head-seller-pricing sheet to pop up on the all mighty Craigslist. I could use another pole saw...

You can also call local police to run the serial numbers. I have done it on air compressors, mowers, hedge trimmers. They run it through their system, it comes up stolen, you tell them where and BOOM! You are a super hero.

My buddy is a cop, i call him on occasion for someone trying to push equipment on me while im doing a lawn, 98% of the time its a hot item and i pass on a stihl weed eater for 85$... Give him the tag, he calls it in my local city... WOOSA!

Matt

Steve
10-10-2010, 04:39 AM
WOW! People come up to you while you are working to offer to sell you equipment? Now that is something!