PDA

View Full Version : My Shop

DillonB92
10-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I have been setting up my shop since saturday. I'm only 17 and live in a neighborhood where the neighborhood association won't allow for much of anything in the yard other than... a car. And that has to be parked in the driveway. So i have to rent a storage building. At first i started with a 10x10 and a parking spot. It worked out fine, but everything was on top of everything else. It cost me a total of $97 a month. Along with being on top of everything i had to drive 7 min to the place hook up my trailer and then load it all up. Took about 30 min from time i left to when i get ready to leave storage again. That started getting old but i put up with it. I signed a 6 month lease and time was approaching to pay again. I decided to take it up a notch. I got a 10x20 storage building. Now i can just park my trailer in the storage shed and just hook up and go. I thought about just getting a parking spot but then what would i do with my other equipment? Anyways i got the 10x20 for only $99 a month more. Seems to work out better. I put my swing away jack on it and im ready to go now.

justin_time
10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
I have been setting up my shop since saturday. I'm only 17 and live in a neighborhood where the neighborhood association won't allow for much of anything in the yard other than... a car. And that has to be parked in the driveway. So i have to rent a storage building. At first i started with a 10x10 and a parking spot. It worked out fine, but everything was on top of everything else. It cost me a total of $97 a month. Along with being on top of everything i had to drive 7 min to the place hook up my trailer and then load it all up. Took about 30 min from time i left to when i get ready to leave storage again. That started getting old but i put up with it. I signed a 6 month lease and time was approaching to pay again. I decided to take it up a notch. I got a 10x20 storage building. Now i can just park my trailer in the storage shed and just hook up and go. I thought about just getting a parking spot but then what would i do with my other equipment? Anyways i got the 10x20 for only $99 a month more. Seems to work out better. I put my swing away jack on it and im ready to go now.

Lookin' good dude.. is that a 5x10 trailer ? Won't be long you'll get more busy you'll have to expand like I did. I had to go buy myself a 6x12 and now i'm thinking of getting a bigger one (1 or 2 yrs ) from now. I'm looking to get a dual axle with probably another 4 feet to it lol. I just completed my 4th year in business.

FloridaBoy
10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Looks good Dillon. Keep up the good work.
You can use that extra load and unload time to add a new job every day. Maybe in 6 months to a year you will have to expand again. Take that same pride you have in your shop to the jobsite and you will do fine.
Good Luck.:cool:

Hedgemaster
10-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Nice. I'm trying to figure a way of getting my trailer into my garage. I'll have to scrap my plans for a work bench. And throw out a lot of crap. :D

DillonB92
10-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys. I just completed my first year in business. I freaking love it! lol.I do have to admit though, fall is here and i'm sad the season is over. I plan on sticking to it after college. Yes it is a 5x10. Wood floor. I got it at lowes. I didn't want to spend a fortune just starting up but im glad i did. Haven't had the slightest problem with it. I hope to expand and expand some more. I am always willing to listen to any advice anyone has to offer. Good luck to you both!

DillonB92
10-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Hedgemaster: I know what you mean. I have a lot of stuff that i would like to put in mine too. Just not enough room. See it empty its like wow thats huge but as you start puttin stuff in it it fills up FAST! I spent about 2 hours trying to figurfe out where i was going to put that storage locker, storage chest, and tool rack. I tried every way possible.

Steve
10-06-2010, 02:02 PM
That trailer and set up you have there looks great! Are you planning on getting any signs on it any time soon? I think they would be very beneficial.

DillonB92
10-08-2010, 06:59 PM
What kind of signs would you put on my trailer? Where would you put them?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-08-2010, 10:26 PM

Well its easier when you have sides to put them on. We went the even cheaper route and put yard signs on the side to save a few bucks when we first started (vista print). That back tail gate would work but it would have to be the aluminum sign.

Thats my 2 cents...

Steve
10-10-2010, 02:51 AM

Even if you have to screw some wood to the sides and trailer and hand paint them, you should have some way of promoting yourself on your trailer. When people drive by or look out their window, you should be showing them your business name and number so they can call you.

DillonB92
10-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Now those Vista print signs How do they hold up? Wind and Sun. It says they are plastic but i am having a hard time determining what kind of plastic this may be. Is it something like a credit card?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Now those Vista print signs How do they hold up? Wind and Sun. It says they are plastic but i am having a hard time determining what kind of plastic this may be. Is it something like a credit card?

Nah its plastic like any other lawn sign. Its got waffers between the 2 sides. As for wind they do descently havent had any fall of from the sign ripping it was from the zip ties not holding it on after the sun got to them. As for the sun they do fade a little but still look great. The AZ suns is much different the probably where you are. I can post pics if you would like.

DillonB92
10-11-2010, 10:03 PM
i think i know what you are talking about but can you take a picture?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-13-2010, 09:46 PM
i think i know what you are talking about but can you take a picture?

hey wanted to let you know I havent forgotten about you. I just keep getting home past dark the last few nights. Maybe if I remember Ill do it tomorrow morning.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Well I finaly found some time. First pic is when new, second the the waffer plastic, and 3rd is the older(today). Not to bad but still a little fading.

Steve
10-16-2010, 08:11 PM
That is outstanding!

A lot of times when we do anything, we look at it and say, ok next time its going to be bigger, faster, stronger, etc.

Do you have any plans on do more with your vehicle and trailer signage in the future?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-17-2010, 12:02 AM
That is outstanding!

A lot of times when we do anything, we look at it and say, ok next time its going to be bigger, faster, stronger, etc.

Do you have any plans on do more with your vehicle and trailer signage in the future?

Well with the trailer just getting a aluminum sign in its stead would be about it.

As for the truck dont have anything on it yet as the trailer is on it all the time mostly. But would like to do a rear window rap with the same info + web with same style back round or one with more foilage. A full vehicle rap I think is out of the question(its over kill in our area I think atleast), dont like door magnets as they scratch up the doors.

Plus this isnt the truck I wanna dump a lot into as I would have liked to have gotten the newer model truck. 02 was a model year change for the 1500 but not 2500/3500 witch I have the 2500. Maybe when I upgrade I will consider something a little more over the top.

fieroboi
10-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Shop looks great Dillon!

I live in an apartment, so having space to store things is just not possible. I also rent a shop, but it only has to store any equipment that I am currently not using, as I run an enclosed cargo trailer to keep my equipment dry and out of the sun when not being used (also more secure than an open one). It also has allowed me the ability to keep my trailer hooked up all the time. Doesn't sound like you have that option. I applaud you on setting up a system that works well with your situation.

I'm sure you'll expand as time goes on. As everyone has commented about signs, I would also suggest some form of advertising on your trailer, it really does pay off.

Lloyd
Blue's YardFX
Camrose, AB

Steve
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I would also suggest some form of advertising on your trailer, it really does pay off.

Just to hammer that point home, can you tell us of a few instances where it helped you and how you got business from it?