PDA

View Full Version : I need to start to grow, exponentially...

Billz
10-15-2006, 09:47 PM
I am looking to add about 75 new customers next season. I have for sure about 9000 doorhangers promising free gutter cleaning with a signed seasonal contract... about 1000 postcards with a low monthly price on them, for smaller lawns in neighborhoods. I have a dump insert on my truck, and will probably build a wood rail on each side with some kind of advertisement. I also have magnetic signs on my truck doors, with basic name/number/couple services. I have no advertisements on my trailer at all now.

I will be solo next year, unless I pick up some new accounts. I really hate doorhanging, so hiring some people to do this will probably be the way I go. I always include referral bonus' to my current customers in my spring letters, but am looking at getting a couple more ideas to generate leads.

Any more ideas anyone would have would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bill

maelawncare
10-16-2006, 12:43 AM
newspaper ads tend to work well around here. and a local radio station puts out a very nice coupon magazine that only has like 20 buisiness in it every month. that works out well, $200 and it goes to 40k people

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Sounds like you are on the right track with the printed advertising and the newspaper suggestion is a good idea. Make sure you give your business cards out to everyone and everyone, alot of people surprisingly don't do this and with such a low cost item I would be giving them out to everybody and their brother, in fact that's exactly what I do.

Billz
10-16-2006, 12:12 PM
I found a site that has business cards that can open up, like a book. Do you think that would be something to spend money on? They are not that expensive really, and I could maybe use the space to list some services...I am also thinking about making some calendars, and giving them away, with reminders each month what services should be performed, like aeration, insect control, fertilization, etc. Does that sound like it could work? I have never priced them yet, but alot of stores here in town give them away, it couldn't hurt to have someone looking at your logo, and suggestions each time they need to look at their calendar, could it?

Steve
10-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Hi Billz,

You bring up a great question.

Quote[/b] ]I need to start to grow, exponentially

One of the books I am reading currently is 'One Tough Mother'

http://www.gacpc.com/titles/title_pages/title_images/ONETOU.jpg

It's about Gert Boyle, the owner of Columbia Sportswear Company. In the book she says people come up to her all the time and ask how they can get their company to be huge and Gert's advise is step step, day by day, customer by customer.

All too often we have this dream that there is a secret we are missing that would give us exponential growth. My view is, it's no secret, it's more a matter of time. It is similar to planting crops or a garden and looking at it wishing it would grow faster in front of your eyes.

My point of all this is don't get upset or turned off to things if you don't get exponential growth. Just keep chugging forwards. Keep doing things step by step and day by day to get your name out and let people know what you do.

Don't give up.

Billz
10-16-2006, 05:52 PM
Well, from what i have noticed here, where I live is that the biggest companies are not the ones doing the best work, but the ones who advertise the most(maybe the most effectively). I am going to do alot of different things this year to try to see if I can find something that works pretty good, and then mass advertise it to as many people that I can afford to. I do a good job, and have gotten some referrals, but am looking to maybe pick up enough work to keep a crew of 2 working full time all year.

Steve
10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Quote[/b] ] from what i have noticed here, where I live is that the biggest companies are not the ones doing the best work,

I bet you would find that to be the same anywhere. I think as these companies get bigger, they tend to experiment and find where they can cut corners. Ultimately it leads to the biggest companies not doing the best jobs. Also it's tough to get employees to do the job with pride the way a business owner would.

So I think that is your advantage. As a smaller company you will be able to do a better job and you can promote that.

Howard Roark
10-16-2006, 10:47 PM
That looks like a great book!

And it's so true...

Persistence is the name of the game, and a good solid plan and written goals to help steer you as you go.
I can remember when I first started having a very clear vision of having hundreds of accounts and someday getting there.
Now that "someday" has come, I realize that it just simply took hanging in to get here. And that's what it will take to continue on.

Also, keep in mind the large part simple statistics play. If you were consistently successful a certain percentage of the time with something, go with those statistics on your future decisions. I've found this to play true especially with advertising.

Above all, don't give up!

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Bill, you are definitely going in the right direction, for a smaller company advertising is very important, more than most people realize. Getting what we call in my industry, brand recognition which translates to getting your name out to the masses is how you grow your business. Promotional products like you mentioned are one of my specialties and are a great way to do what you are trying to do, calendars, magnets, pens, etc... keep people thinking of you and when they need your services hopefully they will think of you. I also think the type of business card you mentioned are not used enough by certain professions and yours is one of them, and for the very reason you stated. Another idea would be direct mailers such as postcards, flyers, brochures etc... these are very effective marketing tools. Hope this helps.

maelawncare
10-20-2006, 11:59 PM
heres a good article on the folded cards, thought it might come in handy, since you were talkn about it.

http://www.greatfxbusinesscards.com/article....rds.htm (http://www.greatfxbusinesscards.com/articles/marketing-folded-business-cards.htm)

bubenberg
10-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Quote[/b] (Billz @ Oct. 15 2006,9:47)]I am looking to add about 75 new customers next season. I have for sure about 9000 doorhangers promising free gutter cleaning with a signed seasonal contract... about 1000 postcards with a low monthly price on them, for smaller lawns in neighborhoods. I have a dump insert on my truck, and will probably build a wood rail on each side with some kind of advertisement. I also have magnetic signs on my truck doors, with basic name/number/couple services. I have no advertisements on my trailer at all now.

I will be solo next year, unless I pick up some new accounts. I really hate doorhanging, so hiring some people to do this will probably be the way I go. I always include referral bonus' to my current customers in my spring letters, but am looking at getting a couple more ideas to generate leads.

Any more ideas anyone would have would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bill
Hi,

I am back on line and will have some exiting things to tell you. Can't give away too much now but it will involve the green industry and mass marketing.

The owners of Gopher helped me a great deal many years back and i will reciprocate now. Once we turn loose the advertising campaign you will be the first to be notified. Qualification will be that you own a Gopher accounting package. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Stay tuned!!!!!

Steve
10-22-2006, 06:19 PM
I am looking forwards to finding more about this. http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

maelawncare
10-23-2006, 04:45 PM
huh? Im confused.