PDA

View Full Version : Back in my first year again

WLS
10-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Sounds Strange but here I am in my first year of owning my own lawn care business again. To explain a little 12 years ago I had my first kid and the wife said it was time to work for some one else, so after 9 years I closed my business and went to work for another company. Now 12 years and a bunch of jobs later I had the opportunity to come back to what I enjoy. I came across a Toro Proline 36 commercial walk behind and a nice pickup for not a lot of money and decided to start mowing.

Steve
10-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Hello and welcome to our forum!

the wife said it was time to work for some one else, so after 9 years I closed my business and went to work for another company.

I think a lot of business owners run into this kind of situation.

With the experience you have now from going through that situation, what advice would you have for others when confronting such an situation themselves?

WLS
10-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Things change and you have to start all over the way I use to bid jobs doesn't apply any more. I had to learn new ways of doing every thing. But, in the end it's worth it. My biggest thing If your in Iowa anyway stay away from residential commercial is the way to go.

Steve
10-07-2010, 05:15 PM
the way I use to bid jobs doesn't apply any more.

How did you used to do this and why do you feel it doesn't work anymore?

WLS
10-08-2010, 07:33 AM
How did you used to do this and why do you feel it doesn't work anymore?

I use to just guess how long it would take to do the job it was all a shot in the dark. I didn't have all the resources I have now like internet and access to all the info and software to help me. It is so much easier to bid now and accurate I don't seem to be under bidding jobs as often as I use to.

Steve
10-10-2010, 03:25 AM
For other members reading this, would you have any advice to them if they found themselves in a similar situation you were in? Should they stick with their business or listen to what their family says and get a job elsewhere?

How best can one go about staying with what they want to do if their family is not behind them?

WLS
10-11-2010, 07:36 AM
For other members reading this, would you have any advice to them if they found themselves in a similar situation you were in? Should they stick with their business or listen to what their family says and get a job elsewhere?

If I could do it over I would have stayed in lawn care but, I have no regrets I learned a lot in the time I was away from it.

How best can one go about staying with what they want to do if their family is not behind them?

This is not true at all this came out of a very long talk with my wife and a few different insurance companys about getting health insurance. I made the decision that I could not afford it through the winter months There for I had to look for a more permanent fix. I am just very happy to be back. Glad there is places like this, this time to help out, There were no resources like this back when I was doing this the first time.

Steve
10-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Isn't it amazing how this country is supposed to be so pro-small business and pro-capitalist, yet things like medical insurance is able to get so wildly out of control that is becomes the killer of small business?

I still don't see this to be resolved anytime soon.

WLS
10-13-2010, 07:14 AM
I do't be leave there ever will be away not as long as we keep voting morons into office. The problem I see it's a lack of choice to vote for. Hopefully some day we will get a president that will be worth some thing. Fingers crossed lol

Steve
10-13-2010, 09:16 AM
How about Jesse Ventura for 2012?

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000750321/polls_Jesse_Ventura_Pointing_3025_861689_answer_1_ xlarge.jpeg

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000750321/polls_jesse_ventura_2954_823443_poll_xlarge.jpeg

WLS
10-14-2010, 07:47 AM
LMAO couldn't be much worse lol