PDA

View Full Version : Potential new customers that are cheapos

jymie
10-04-2010, 04:09 PM
I had two instances where I got calls for one time cuts. The first lady, we went to the house on the day we said we would be there, told her $30 to do the cut. She him-ed and hawed and came back with "I usually only pay $25 to get it cut..." (Prior to the day of the cut she told me her normal lawn guy stopped coming, Must be she owes him money I would guess, so I already had a bad feeling about her) I said no $30 was the cost to cut it. Then she said well you need to move all the stuff on the lawn then put it back after its done, and you have to weed whack all the beds too. I went to my truck and just left. She wanted $75 worth of work for $30. No Thank You.

Another lady we did a cut for her for $40, it was pretty high, the next week she had us cut her bushes, then the next week we did her beds in the front of the house. I told her if she wanted us to cut it again, $30 would be OK, she comes back with $20 to cut it, I said no, so she said she will make her son cut it then so we left and left it at that. That was three weeks ago and the lawn is still not been cut since we did it 5 weeks ago. She will need to pay $40 is she calls us to cut it again.

Anyone else have customers that try to cheapen you on your price? How would you have handled these two situations?

StartALawnCareBusiness
10-04-2010, 04:35 PM
It sounds like you did the right thing.

There will always be customers who constantly attempt to make you lower your price. I've always found it best to walk away and let them become someone else's headache.

Steve
10-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Jymie,

Do you ever get a feel that this is going to happen as you are walking up to their front door? Or maybe can you tell when you are talking with them on the phone?

Or do they simply surprise you?

jymie
10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
All three ways. I got a feeling on the phone with that first one, then the face to face went poorly, the last one was a surprise as we did work for her 1st as a cut, then next week we trimmed her bushes and lastly the next week we did her beds. So I figured she may want the continued cut at $30. To each their own I guess, She has a very lazy son it looks like .

picframer
10-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Jymie,

Do you ever get a feel that this is going to happen as you are walking up to their front door? Or maybe can you tell when you are talking with them on the phone?

Or do they simply surprise you?

Not to cut in they surprise you, I can sometimes tell on the phone but......stick to your guns

jklawncare
10-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I had a customer that tried and do this to me every week with the excuse that her previous company did it for 10 cheaper than me.

Her lawn before me was TORN apart. tires carved ruts when they turned in her yard, parts were dying, and trimming was missed in spots and burned out in others.

I explained to her that the people before her didnt know what they were doing and if she wants my service it will cost her the asked price.

her response: my husband has been mowing the lawn for quite some time i think he knows what hes doing.

me: im sorry?

her: uhh....my husband owns a lawn company.

i went home and typed up a letter dropping her as a customer after collecting my last payments. i had her for a little over a month.

Steve
10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Why would she hire another lawn care business when her husband owns his own lawn care business himself? Did that make any sense to you?

mcscapes
10-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Stick to your pricing and contracts takes all the surprise out for both of you all my customers pay monthly or bi weekly in advance. No questions asked even family.

Steve
10-21-2010, 01:08 PM
all my customers pay monthly or bi weekly in advance.

What made you go with having the bi-weekly customers pay in advance?

cruzgardening
10-21-2010, 10:11 PM
I had two instances where I got calls for one time cuts. The first lady, we went to the house on the day we said we would be there, told her $30 to do the cut. She him-ed and hawed and came back with "I usually only pay $25 to get it cut..." (Prior to the day of the cut she told me her normal lawn guy stopped coming, Must be she owes him money I would guess, so I already had a bad feeling about her) I said no $30 was the cost to cut it. Then she said well you need to move all the stuff on the lawn then put it back after its done, and you have to weed whack all the beds too. I went to my truck and just left. She wanted $75 worth of work for $30. No Thank You.

Another lady we did a cut for her for $40, it was pretty high, the next week she had us cut her bushes, then the next week we did her beds in the front of the house. I told her if she wanted us to cut it again, $30 would be OK, she comes back with $20 to cut it, I said no, so she said she will make her son cut it then so we left and left it at that. That was three weeks ago and the lawn is still not been cut since we did it 5 weeks ago. She will need to pay $40 is she calls us to cut it again.

Anyone else have customers that try to cheapen you on your price? How would you have handled these two situations?

oh man that happed to me 3 months ago, i got a call from a guy asking if we could give him an estimate i came to see the property and told him i would come biweekly mowing, weeding, edging, trimming and debris clearing and a fertilizing program was included in the price we would trim as needed he had the right side of his property full of bushes, the fertilizing is done twice a year i told him it would be $120 a month he told me it was fine so i started to work.
The previous gardener did a horrible job so i had to trim weed and edge more then usual but i had already told him a price so i stuck to it and i left it at that on tuesday i went back and droped off the bill and started to work on the property i finished weeding when he came out and said what i had charged was too expensive... i told him we had already talked about it n he said his other gardener charged him $75 a month, but oviously did not weed edge or even trim the bushes, i explained that to him and he asked me if we would drop the price, i told him i would drop one of his services either trimming or weeding for $10-$20 off the price, he has lots of weeds in all his flower beds and lots of bushes, he said he would pay me every time he needed the trimming service but i told him it would cost $30 unless he did it monthly and he agreed to it. so both me and him are happy till now :)

but i also had other call me saying their previous gardeners charged them $20 and wanted to know if i could do the same, which i just say here is my bid let me know if you are interested give them my card and leave :P

Steve
10-22-2010, 10:05 AM
the fertilizing is done twice a year i told him it would be $120 a month he told me it was fine so i started to work.

When you meet up with your clients, do you present them an estimate? Do you ever have them sign or initial it so as to show there was no confusion as to price? Would something like this help or no?

shadrach
10-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Quote a minimum price over the phone - especially on 1 time jobs. Saves time.

cruzgardening
10-23-2010, 03:15 AM
When you meet up with your clients, do you present them an estimate? Do you ever have them sign or initial it so as to show there was no confusion as to price? Would something like this help or no?

i do create an estimate for them but there is no initials or signature to show them the price i will start using this for my benefit thanks :)

cruzgardening
10-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Quote a minimum price over the phone - especially on 1 time jobs. Saves time.

i learned teh hard way not to do this, a guy called me i told him the average is $40 front and back for a one time cut when i got there he had a jungle, he expected me to do the job at the price i told him over the phone but i couldnt he told me to do it for $50 i did it but he was reluctant to pay the price when i was done, he only paid it after i told him i was going to spread all the debris back on his yard... never again am i quoting over the phone :)

shadrach
10-23-2010, 08:30 AM
I never quote an actual price over the phone for mowing just a minimum.
" I can do it today but our minimum price for one time mows is $35."
The guy that just wants it done right now is not as worried about price.
The guy that is only shopping by price will call someone else and that saves a trip to look at something that you probably were not going to get anyway.

Steve
10-23-2010, 08:43 PM
But what about using it as an in to not only gain a new customer but offer upsell services?

Couldn't something that starts off as a one time job, turn into a repetitive job or even more services if you got a chance to speak with them in person?

It seems the hardest thing to do is to place yourself in front of a potential customer where you can then present your sales pitch. When a potential customer calls, they are doing you a big favor because you don't have to go looking for them. They have looked for you.

If you are already there in front of the customer and have your equipment ready to go, they may say yea, since you are already here can you do this and while you are at it, can you do that too.

cruzgardening
10-23-2010, 11:28 PM
The guy that is only shopping by price will call someone else and that saves a trip to look at something that you probably were not going to get anyway.

that is very true

cruzgardening
10-23-2010, 11:31 PM
But what about using it as an in to not only gain a new customer but offer upsell services?

Couldn't something that starts off as a one time job, turn into a repetitive job or even more services if you got a chance to speak with them in person?

It seems the hardest thing to do is to place yourself in front of a potential customer where you can then present your sales pitch. When a potential customer calls, they are doing you a big favor because you don't have to go looking for them. They have looked for you.

If you are already there in front of the customer and have your equipment ready to go, they may say yea, since you are already here can you do this and while you are at it, can you do that too.

yeah thats the reason i dont quote them over the phone more personal touch equals a better chance to start them on a better plan

CCS & LC
11-28-2010, 08:51 AM
i learned teh hard way not to do this, a guy called me i told him the average is $40 front and back for a one time cut when i got there he had a jungle, he expected me to do the job at the price i told him over the phone but i couldnt he told me to do it for $50 i did it but he was reluctant to pay the price when i was done, he only paid it after i told him i was going to spread all the debris back on his yard... never again am i quoting over the phone :)

i quote my min fee over the phone but also let them know the price will be higher depending on how the yard looks when i get there.

Steve
11-28-2010, 11:03 AM
i quote my min fee over the phone but also let them know the price will be higher depending on how the yard looks when i get there.

What do you feel is the benefit to doing it that way versus other ways you may have experimented with?

Do you feel there is a down side to it or no?

CCS & LC
11-28-2010, 06:27 PM
What do you feel is the benefit to doing it that way versus other ways you may have experimented with?

Do you feel there is a down side to it or no?

doing it this way you are not locked in on you min fee when the job should be done at a higher price . cant think of a downside at the moment .

Steve
11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Do you ever have customers who lock your minimum figure into their head so once you show up and give them a higher price, they feel like they want to fight you on the price?

Fine Gardens Landscaping
06-27-2011, 04:13 PM
If a customer is inquiring about price over the phone or that seems to be their main concern instead of the job it's self then that's a big indication that they're going be cheap.

I wouldn't recommend walking away with out saying anything even if the person is a pain like that one lady. Try and be professional/ friendly about it because there are lots of ways for people to damage your reputation on the internet now.

Fisher
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Why would she hire another lawn care business when her husband owns his own lawn care business himself? Did that make any sense to you?

My son had taken a flier off our mailbox early in the spring where the guy had written a quote to mow our yard for $35. I didn't learn about it until later and told him next time to call the guy and have him come mow as the cheapest I would do our acre+ for was $45 (that's my buddy price) and his mom hasn't been paying me that. Then I got a quote from a guy who said he'd do it for $25 just to get into my neighborhood. Though I'm sure he would have done good in the beginning, we all know how that kind of bidding will end up.