PDA

View Full Version : Trim Mowers

jklawncare
10-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I use a home grade 21" craftsman mower and have used a geared self propelled toro 21"

The money i make off of fall cleanups is mainly going towards new equipment for the new season.

My weed wacker broke down so im going to be purchasing one from stihl most likely.

I have a box grade toro leaf blower/vac i would like to replace (not top priority)

I would like to get a commercial grade mower but know i wont have the money or means of transporting a zero turn or walk behind. so im looking towards push mowers for one more season and maybe mid way invest in a trailer and zero turn (ill always need the trim mower anyhow)

also ill be buying a new harddrive but thats nothing that needs discussing

so my question is:

what trim mowers have you used or currently use and what would you recommend as well as what should i look for in a mower? would casters in the front be a good addition etc.

as well as what do you recommend for trimmers. There isn't a whole lot of distributers around here but i know theres a stihl and im shre a few others. if not online could be an option..

same with blowers.. i may get one to make my life easier for fall..

i think i saw some type of blower with other attachments like pressure washer and sprayers..does anyone know what im talking about?

Hedgemaster
10-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Lots of questions there... I'm in much the same boat. I can only comment on the trimmer.

I was steered towards a Stihl, and so far I'm pleased. I picked up an FS 90R and it cost $300. (I assume Stihl products are price controlled, as it was the same price everywhere) This model offers the ability to add attachments at the end if I want. (Similar to the KombiSystem) But to buy the same exact engine and a trimmer attachment, the KombiSystem would have cost about $100 more.

See here: (purty pictures too)
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=12465

jklawncare
10-03-2010, 10:31 PM
that helps soo much

i was leaning towards the kombi system but i dont have a whole lot of cash. that is if i want to buy a mower as well..i cant see myself making that much off of fall cleanups alone. i can deal with my mower for a little of the season but i have a feeling in my gut it wont last..it just runs too good for being as used as it is..3 years residential and 2 years mowing many many yards a week..

when i get the commercial ill probly take apart the engine clean the crankshaft up etc.

thank god for transportation systems classes (small engine classes)

and use it as a spare mower for my crew

a trimmer on the other hand is a nescessity as i dont have one at all

thanks for the help and the pics all add that to my top list :D

jklawncare
10-03-2010, 10:43 PM
so with some more research i discovered that i have a toro dealer a cub cadet, husqvarna, echo and stihl dealer all within 15 miles.

i had no idea haha

im looking more at cub cadet mowers? has anyone had any experience with them?

brian'slawncare
10-04-2010, 03:53 PM
are you looking at commercial grade mowers?
if so how big?

if not?

it sounds like you are somewhat tight on money when it comes to equipment. would it make sense to stick with what you've got for one more year to generate more money for a walk behind or zero-turn?
Just something trying to think of someways to help generate more money for yourself towards that new mower.

jklawncare
10-04-2010, 09:26 PM
im looking for commercial or Good residential mowers such as the 7021rc from husqvarna or the CC 999 ES from cub cadet.

im looking for commercial grade trimmers
and a blower isnt top on my list

i have standard mower now and no trimmer with a decent blower

my mower is running too well though. so im afraid it will break down blind.
plus cutting would be easier and more efficiant and i wouldnt look so cheap with these mowers.

Also i can add them to my line up when i invest in a wide area walkbehind or stand on

i dont need anything big because im sticking to residential for a while and the lawns arent anything i cant handle

so i can earn and drop 7 or 800 on nice equipment knowing it will take me through the following years.

and without worrying about cheap trimmers or mowers breaking down and being stuck in the mud

picframer
10-04-2010, 09:40 PM
The Stihl Kombi works well for us, no problems but yes it is not cheap, we have at least 20 pieces of Stihl gear and no issues.

As for puch powers we have one JD model, no issues

jklawncare
10-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks andy
i think ill be looking more towards the FS 90R though although ill weigh both ends.

Right now im at the stage where i need something nice, cheap, and fast. And the FS 90R is 100 less and still handles attachments.. its just he motor that lacks a bit than the other.

Thanks for the JD reference im really gonna look into them. Ive never payed a whole lot of attention to JD but you seem so dedicated to them that i might just have to go and see what its all about.

picframer
10-04-2010, 10:06 PM
I understand the Kombi is not cheap but if you look at the attachments and services you can offer it is a wise investment, if you were close I would give you one to try but I can honestly tell you that we have no issues at all and our gear gets extreme use.

jklawncare
10-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Kombi is not cheap but if you look at the attachments and services you can offer it is a wise investment

I thought of that and kind of blew it off into convincing myself into saving money.

I suppose it all comes down to how much i have at the end of the fall.

I dont plan on doing snow removal since im still in highschool (although i wish i could) waking up at 3 in the morning every morning to go plow a bunch of lawns and make it to school by 7 isnt in the cards, perhaps one or 2 neighbors that may be interested but nothing worth investing in a plow or anything for.

I honestly cannot wait for school to be over and i can graduate so i can offer so much more to my customers, school just limits my time i can be working and limits time i can be resting haha.

I will give the kombi system a good look. Ive been wanting to try it since i first saw the thing.

Perhaps my neighbor (one of the top lawn care providers in the area) has one hed be willing to lend for a day or so.

I appreciate the offer of letting me borrow it though andy :D

you guys have been such great help i love this board

B-2 Lawncare
10-04-2010, 10:22 PM
so with some more research i discovered that i have a toro dealer a cub cadet, husqvarna, echo and stihl dealer all within 15 miles.

i had no idea haha

im looking more at cub cadet mowers? has anyone had any experience with them?

I have found that you can get stihl worked on almost any where. I live in small town USA and i can take one of my stihl weed eaters to Ace and get it worked on the same day. I would go with the stihl because you can get them fixed almost any where.

picframer
10-05-2010, 06:44 AM
I thought of that and kind of blew it off into convincing myself into saving money.

I suppose it all comes down to how much i have at the end of the fall.

I dont plan on doing snow removal since im still in highschool (although i wish i could) waking up at 3 in the morning every morning to go plow a bunch of lawns and make it to school by 7 isnt in the cards, perhaps one or 2 neighbors that may be interested but nothing worth investing in a plow or anything for.

I honestly cannot wait for school to be over and i can graduate so i can offer so much more to my customers, school just limits my time i can be working and limits time i can be resting haha.

I will give the kombi system a good look. Ive been wanting to try it since i first saw the thing.

Perhaps my neighbor (one of the top lawn care providers in the area) has one hed be willing to lend for a day or so.

I appreciate the offer of letting me borrow it though andy :D

you guys have been such great help i love this board

No easy answer here, if you can afford it, it will be one of the best investments you have and will ever make because you can do so much with it but the key is it will stand whatever abuse you throw at it, in my case we have over 30 pieces of Stihl gear and I rarely run any of it myself so I need gear that can stand what the staff put it through and it does, never an issue.

The other key with this setup is is it offers so many options including blowing, trimming, edger, pruner and the list goes on.....probably one reason it is a hit with newer companies starting out, looking for quality but can't afford a piece of gear for each service this is Stihl's answer and an excellent idea by someone in marketing.