PDA

View Full Version : Call me a sodbuster

B-2 Lawncare
10-01-2010, 03:28 PM
One of the other things that i love doing in the fall is rototilling. I got a call this week from some new clients who wanted me to rototill a new garden. The spot that they had picked has never been turned over that is at least since god made it. So i took the 2305 with the subsoiler and the old Arien with the tiller to finish the job. It wasn't a big job a spot 40 by 50, but easy money and fun too.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
10-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Would love to get into this type of work one day. What did you charge for a job like this?

B-2 Lawncare
10-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Would love to get into this type of work one day. What did you charge for a job like this?

The bill was $220, And they want to buy leafs from me to put in to the soil. So it is a win win for me, It is one of my most favorite jobs in the fall,and i do about 3 to 4 a week, depending on how ever many leaf jobs i have lined up for that week.

Steve
10-01-2010, 10:35 PM
That is great! How long does it take to do such a job?

How do you market this to your customers? Do you try and reach out to others as well with this services or is this mostly an upsell service to your current customers?

When you say they want to buy leaves, are these shredded or just big tarps full of leaves?

B-2 Lawncare
10-01-2010, 11:37 PM
That is great! How long does it take to do such a job?

How do you market this to your customers? Do you try and reach out to others as well with this services or is this mostly an upsell service to your current customers?

When you say they want to buy leaves, are these shredded or just big tarps full of leaves?

I don't market this service at it is all done by word of mouth,The leaves that i am selling them are from other seasonal clients and yes they are shredded after going through the vac. so i am making money on both ends if the deal.

picframer
10-02-2010, 05:13 AM

Serious bucks in tilling when you have a set up like this, if you have the work, you can clear $1,400 a day no problem at all. The 2305 in this image is an amazing machine, it is the first series that I owned personally and was shocked and still am.

They are being replaced in 2011 with a new series but Deere is saying very little about it.

B-2 Lawncare
10-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Serious bucks in tilling when you have a set up like this, if you have the work, you can clear $1,400 a day no problem at all. The 2305 in this image is an amazing machine, it is the first series that I owned personally and was shocked and still am.

They are being replaced in 2011 with a new series but Deere is saying very little about it.

I was talking with my JD salesman other day and he said that to. He said that gets a look at it next month that he would send a pic, I would something the size of the 2305 with a factory cab for snowplowing in the winter.

picframer
10-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I was talking with my JD salesman other day and he said that to. He said that gets a look at it next month that he would send a pic, I would something the size of the 2305 with a factory cab for snowplowing in the winter.

The Curtis Cabs on a 2305 is a PITA, that is what Deer uses, way to heavy and hard to take on and off, get a soft sided cab and save quie a few hundred bucks.

Steve
10-03-2010, 03:40 AM
It wasn't a big job a spot 40 by 50

For those who haven't offered such a service yet, how long would it take on average to complete that size area?

B-2 Lawncare
10-03-2010, 10:25 AM
For those who haven't offered such a service yet, how long would it take on average to complete that size area?

Not long about 40 min and about 30 min of that was running the tiller,the soil was hard full of clay and hard to break down. The biggest factor in this job was the distance from town about 25 miles. It is still a little early to be tilling but people are starting to call.

Steve
10-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Very interesting! Do you feel this is a service that could benefit from postcard marketing? Where if you had a picture of you on your tractor tilling a garden, while you were out and about, if you saw a garden, you could drop one of those postcards off?

I bet that would help word of mouth spread too.