PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Name

CanadayLandscaping
09-27-2010, 06:59 PM
When starting the ground work for my company a couple months ago, my account was telling me to keep the name simple. I picked the name "Canaday Landscaping" I thought this was a good name, although I mainly at this point just do lawns and flowerbeds, it leaves me room for expansion. However, I have noticed that potential clients may see this a little differently. I have had people say to me when I'm getting in my truck at the grocery store, "hey I need landscaping done at my house, you have a card?" Should I maybe consider changing my name? I have the paperwork to get my certificate of assumed name, but I've been putting off sending it in until I feel good about this topic. I don't know if I should stick with "Canaday Landscaping" or go with "Canaday Lawn Care". Let me know what you guys think!

Hedgemaster
09-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Well, first off, what's a "Canaday"?

:confused:

I figure it's either your name or an attempt to be clever by combining words.

Don't feel bad though, I'm going through the same dilemma at this very moment - all the names I'm coming up with are taken already.

CanadayLandscaping
09-27-2010, 07:29 PM
[QUOTE=Hedgemaster;77141]Well, first off, what's a "Canaday"?

It's my last name, account said to keep it simple.

Hedgemaster
09-27-2010, 07:35 PM
Is the accountant a marketing consultant as well?

If my accountant told me how to balance my books more efficiently, I'd take that advice. If he told me how to trim hedges - not so much.

Just sayin'

Also, to answer your question, if you aren't doing landscaping, I'd avoid using that in your name.

CanadayLandscaping
09-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Is the accountant a marketing consultant as well?

If my accountant told me how to balance my books more efficiently, I'd take that advice. If he told me how to trim hedges - not so much.

Just sayin'

Also, to answer your question, if you aren't doing landscaping, I'd avoid using that in your name.

The accountant was recommended to me by the chamber of commerce, he is involved in marketing and consulting. He is a small business start up planner. Although I will say I have found some of what he has said to be untrue.

But that neither here nor there. What do you consider landscaping? That is what i'm struggling with. I guess I was trying to name my company with expansion in mind. But I am leaning towards Lawn Care, in stead of landscaping.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I would make it more specific to what you do for now. Its not like you cnt have more than one business name latter on. There is a company in our area call cleancut.... lawns, trees, landscaping, etc. Or you create one company and run a few different names out of it.

CanadayLandscaping
09-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Good idea. I think changing it to be specific to the job i'm doing now is probably the way to go. I think it will make it clearer for any potential clients as well.

Steve
09-28-2010, 07:15 PM
There is no doubt in my mind if you have landscaping in your business name, people will assume you do landscaping over lawn care.

If you want to get into offering landscaping, keep the name and grow into it. Otherwise you could go with something like

Canaday Property Maintenance.

The accountant was recommended to me by the chamber of commerce, he is involved in marketing and consulting. He is a small business start up planner. Although I will say I have found some of what he has said to be untrue.

As a new business owner, what kind of advice did you run into from this person that you felt was untrue? I think it would be good to hear so others getting started, don't follow similar advice.

Keep us posted on what you go with.

CanadayLandscaping
09-28-2010, 07:25 PM
As a new business owner, what kind of advice did you run into from this person that you felt was untrue? I think it would be good to hear so others getting started, don't follow similar advice.

The main topic that i found he was not correct in was the licensing info he gave me. I live in North Carolina, and he stated that the town I lived in did not require me to have a business or privilege license. I asked him whether or not I would have to get a license in another town if I perform a service in that town. He told me know, it has to do with where the business is based. Happy with what he told me, my first and only job of the year this year (Started the business just 2 months ago), I was cutting a lawn, when a code officer pulled up and gave me a warning. I need to have a privilege license in each town I work in, if there is one available.

There were a few other small things, but I would just suggest to new people like myself, to not totally depend on someone else to tell you what you need. I suggest doing the research and make sure, if for nothing else, just so you know for a fact that you are on the up and up!

Steve
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
WOW How freaking annoying is that! A privilege license? How much does that cost? And this is simply for lawn care?

CanadayLandscaping
09-28-2010, 10:21 PM
WOW How freaking annoying is that! A privilege license? How much does that cost? And this is simply for lawn care?

It is fairly annoying, but any work you do in a town or city with a town hall must be notified you are doing work in there community (at least if you want to be legit). Forest City, NC use to charge $15 dollars a year, now they charge nothing, you just have to register in the town. Rutherfordton, NC however, you must pay $75 per year. These privilege license's are broken down to the type of work you do. Lawn/Care and Landscaping tend to be be one of the more pricey of them for some reason.

I found one website that described this as a privilege tax. They are taxing you to give you the privilege to do work in there town. Anyway to get money out of the guy/gal trying to make something of themselves I guess!

North Carolina has no state issued business license for lawn care, neither does the county. Everything is locality based. So when I go handing out flyers in an area, I check with town hall to see what if any cost there may be, so i know what I am getting into.

Steve
09-28-2010, 10:32 PM
Very interesting! Do you get some license number that has to be displayed? How must it be or how do you prove you are licensed?

CanadayLandscaping
09-28-2010, 10:38 PM
You get a certificate. If you have a client who wants it for their record you generally photo copy it for them. You are issued a number, but I don't display it on my truck. With all the possible numbers you could get, it would just look to be a mess. What I do, is when I give a written estimate (which all of mine are) to a client in an area where the license is required, I state on the top of the estimate, licensed and insured. Looks more professional, and saves them from having to call and ask if I am or not.

Steve
09-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Are you required to carry the certificate with you, as proof to any code enforcement officer or do they have a list with them that they go by?

CanadayLandscaping
09-29-2010, 04:49 PM
To be honest, I was never told whether or not I needed to carry them with me. I photo copied them and put them in my glove box, I'm not sure though.

hansenslawncare
01-10-2012, 10:12 AM
I would agree with a lot that has already been said here. If your business name has "Landscaping" in it, most people from outside the business will assume you're just a landscaper, instead of lawn maintenance. I would definitely have lawn care in your business name; which is huge for google, yahoo, etc. finding and ranking you. By just having "lawn care" in your business name and website, this highly increases your chances of being on the first page of your search engines.

Just my two cents...

Richard
hansenslawncare.com

CHEESE2009
01-10-2012, 12:51 PM
You could always be more vague with the end part of your name.

1. Yard Services
2. Property Maintenance
3. Exterior Services

etc.

When I hear of landscaping, I think of bricklaying and design projects.

Your name doesn't even have to cater to anything specific, you'll always have your motto/description.

PooPoo Inc <** Company Name
Property Maintenace <** Under Tag/Motto/Description

SECTLANDSCAPING
01-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I slightly disagree. I think landscaping is anything that improves the appearance of the land. To me that includes maintenance, gardening, etc. It is a vague description but seems to be the standard for people that do more then mowing.

I started with doing lawn care with landscaping in the name.

When I think of lawn care, I think of mowing and hedge trimming.

I do see how property maintenance would fit better then both for most of us.