PDA

View Full Version : great piece of equipment

brian'slawncare
09-25-2010, 09:39 PM
hey everybody,

just thought I would share this with you:

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/minitrack

was able to test one out today and if I ever go big I want one! Check out all the attachments!

picframer
09-26-2010, 04:15 AM
hey everybody,

just thought I would share this with you:

http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/minitrack

was able to test one out today and if I ever go big I want one! Check out all the attachments!

For new construction they are ok, if you are on current turf they tear the turf like you would not believe if you have to turn. We had one on a site for a week, not one staff member liked it and a CUT will do everything they will and a lot more.

brian'slawncare
09-26-2010, 09:48 AM
that is a good point. We were just using it to build a deck in the woods so there was no turf. I believe there is a one you can get with wheels instead of the tracks....

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-26-2010, 01:02 PM
I thought the tracks were supposed to be easier on the turf then the tires. It distributes the weight more evenly and the tires dont dig in.

picframer
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
that is a good point. We were just using it to build a deck in the woods so there was no turf. I believe there is a one you can get with wheels instead of the tracks....

There is, I have used that one also, no traction at all.....just try them both as it's a good size investment. I am lucky in that I do commercial demo's for Deere and they have similar units.

picframer
09-26-2010, 03:32 PM
I thought the tracks were supposed to be easier on the turf then the tires. It distributes the weight more evenly and the tires dont dig in.

Impossible to turn them without major damage, I get around it with excavators as I turn with the bucket so that only the back of the tracks touch the ground.

Steve
09-27-2010, 09:13 AM
What is the advantage of that unit vs a tractor with a bucket?

picframer
09-27-2010, 07:04 PM
What is the advantage of that unit vs a tractor with a bucket?

Depends on the tractor, having hundreds of hours operating both, in short none

LawnMoore
09-27-2010, 08:29 PM
I think its safe to say they are both great machines, they both save our backs tremendously.

The skid steers i feel are a little more compact, than even the Cut that Deere makes. For max weight capacity : size

When you have to lift something with a tractor its almost 100% of the time a front end loader! (keep in mind with a backhoe or other type of attachment on the back of the tractor you can lift a lot more) But your machine just grew!

When you lift something with a skid steer its almost 100% of the time a rear mounted front end loader. (I know i have seen most of the newer ones are improving on lift capacity tremendously over the models of 15 years ago)

Giving it a little more pickup for the size of the machine the skid is what it is, a raw machine for when you dont have to worry about tearing anything up.

Correct me if im wrong ;)

Steve
09-28-2010, 06:57 PM
At what point would it be worthwhile for a business to purchase one of these? How often would it have to be used to justify it's purchase cost?

picframer
09-28-2010, 08:23 PM
At what point would it be worthwhile for a business to purchase one of these? How often would it have to be used to justify it's purchase cost?

Depends on the business, for example I used skid steers in my sisters potato barn loading railway cars, a tractor would never touch the same production but I was on hard surface, same with road crews and some places that sell fill. They have their place don't get me wrong, but in landscaping I know what works best.

LawnMoore
09-28-2010, 08:34 PM

My friend bought a brand new Bobcat with tracks.

Expensive machine over 40k dollars with a lowboy.

He gets 75 an hour with like a 2-4 hour minimum (I get a deal at 2 hr minimum and sometimes only have to pay the 150 minimum and get 4 hours use for it.)

However he only offers this service, like landscape grading etc.. he does a lot of new constructions at the university and around town. He doesnt have a landscaping company, he has a site prep service company.

I would say you need to have a machine like this bringing in money atleast 3 days a week, if not more.

Its not something to just buy and use occassionaly.

LawnMoore
09-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Depends on the business, for example I used skid steers in my sisters potato barn loading railway cars, a tractor would never touch the same production but I was on hard surface, same with road crews and some places that sell fill. They have their place don't get me wrong, but in landscaping I know what works best.

Yea guys back in another thread where i said i was looking to get a skid steer, i need one for loading trees on non landscaped areas, and i would use it for whatever else i can, however.

You CANNOT take a skid steer into a manicured lawn, Period!

If you do, you better have experience and know your machine well.