PDA

View Full Version : trailer jack

DillonB92
09-24-2010, 10:32 PM
I have a trailer right now thats 5x10. I wa s hoping to find a jack with a wheel on it that could support my lawn equipment. The trailer itself is 650 and my mower is 450. thats pretty much all i have on it right now other than my push mower. all the jacks i find with a wheel is like 1000 pound weight limit. with my riding mower i am already over that. Now I have an A Frame tounge on it and i was wondering if you could put a side mounting jack on it? Is the Weight capacity tounge weight or total weight of the whole trailer and all.

Steve
09-25-2010, 05:01 PM
I just did a quick search and found this

1000lb Trailer Tongue Jack (http://www.iboats.com/Fulton-Xp10-1000lb-Trailer-Tongue-Jack/dm/cart_id.207744564**session_id.002853441**view_id.38270)

So I am sure you have plenty of options out there.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/big/38270.gif

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I have a trailer right now thats 5x10. I wa s hoping to find a jack with a wheel on it that could support my lawn equipment. The trailer itself is 650 and my mower is 450. thats pretty much all i have on it right now other than my push mower. all the jacks i find with a wheel is like 1000 pound weight limit. with my riding mower i am already over that. Now I have an A Frame tounge on it and i was wondering if you could put a side mounting jack on it? Is the Weight capacity tounge weight or total weight of the whole trailer and all.

it should be tounge weight. because your trailer tires take some of that weight.

Hedgemaster
09-25-2010, 11:37 PM
I was just looking at the same item the other day.
1,000 and 2,000 lb. jacks are quite common - I think I even saw a 2,500 lb. jack and the only two places I've looked thus far are Harbor Freight and Pep Boys automotive.

Sorry, I can't answer your question about the weight.

DillonB92
09-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Thank you guys. I got one made by reese at Tractor Supply. It is 1000 pound weight limit. They said the weight capacity is the tongue weight so i should be good.

Hedgemaster
09-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Did you buy the clamp on style, or the bolt on?
I'm still not sure what type I want, although the clamp on seems like it would be simpler to install.

LawnMoore
09-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Is this jack that steve shows, a boat jack?

If so, i would say its your best bet!

(This is my opinion, and i will not be held responsible for mis"use" and or if you let it roll byitself without watching..!..!) thats why i say its your best bet.

If not and you want to search for a boat trailer jack, you can.

I have been around a many boats trailered, and we had these jacks on them.

They are very handy for moving themselves quite easily and often(\if not secured with the cup) and they hold boats, so i think your stuffs about the same ;)

Like i say imo go with what steve has found, as he knew what he was looking for when he searched.

Steve
09-27-2010, 10:45 AM
I was just searching for a trailer jack with a wheel. There are a lot out there but this happened to show up first in my search.

I agree that it's the tongue weight that is important to know here.

DillonB92
09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Yes it's a boat jack. It says Marine Swing Away jack on it. It took me a minute to figure out how to install it since there were no directions. I finally got it. It has two metal brackets that bolt on the opposite side of the tounge. Since its an A Frame it pretty easy to install. Unfortunaltey i Didn't take into consideration turning with this beast. I bolted it to close to the front. Pulling out of my drive way i hear BAM! i thought someone had hit me and i just didn't feel it. Turns out i hit the wheel with my bumper and Bent the heck out of the pin that allows you to move the Wheel from horizontal to vertical. I went back to where i got it looking for one aswell as lowes. NO LUCK! I have the worst luck ever. Since I am in the only Machine shop Class in my entire county, Hopefully i will be able to get them to make one for me. (this is my first year so I am learning to weld right now) I don't think it will be that hard to make. Its 3/8'' steel with a hole drilled through it near the base. At the top its bent to make a handle. I saw at lowes you can get a 3 foot piece of 3/8'' steel fore $6. I'm Hoping and praying!

justin_time
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I just did a quick search and found this

1000lb Trailer Tongue Jack (http://www.iboats.com/Fulton-Xp10-1000lb-Trailer-Tongue-Jack/dm/cart_id.207744564**session_id.002853441**view_id.38270)

So I am sure you have plenty of options out there.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/16/big/38270.gif

I had a dual wheel one like this but it wasn't strong enough. The 2 platic wheels only lasted 5 months lol. I have found a 2000 lb trailer tongue with a flat plate underneath with a swivel. I may go with there

Steve
09-28-2010, 08:11 PM
I went back to where i got it looking for one aswell as lowes. NO LUCK!

These have got to be available online at a trailer store. Do a little searching around, I bet you will find one.

LawnMoore
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
These have got to be available online at a trailer store. Do a little searching around, I bet you will find one.

Try Tractor Supply!

Or maybe they have an online website where u can order it.

Its also important to think about your tailgate!! when you install a jack.

Too close like u say and your tailgate will get a bump or two, or even get cut.

DillonB92
09-28-2010, 09:57 PM
I got it fixed today in metals shop. Teacher said i almost broke it in half. We got it straightened back out and then measured it. He says if it breaks we will make one in class. I tried tractor supply thats were i got the jack from. They have everything BUT that piece i need lol. I did get it put back together and put on the trailer is good and i tested it. Seems to work pretty good! Kind of hard to steer though. lol yea i see where my tailgate could be an issue. I think i put it where i should be good. I hope i don't have a probelm with my tailgate I just had it painted lol. I did turn today in my driveway to see where my lee way is with the jack on it. I think im good for now.