PDA

View Full Version : Chemlawn spins off a Florida operation

Steve
10-18-2006, 01:54 PM
I was unaware Chemlawn spun off smaller operations if they weren't being run to their desired level.

How would you have liked taking over such a company?

Bill Wert takes over local TruGreen Chemlawn operation (http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061017/BUSINESS02/610170372/1003/BUSINESS) - Bill Wert is a restless sort, but he and his wife, Debbie, say they have found home in Tallahassee and are putting down roots.

What is extraordinary about Mr. Wert's entrepreneurship is that he is taking on local TruGreen Chemlawn operations in the wake of poor performance and a telemarketing sales approach he says left many cold to his company's services.

Last year, the Tallahassee operation posted $1 million in produced revenue. While the number was somewhat consistent with past operations, it still made Tallahassee one of the smallest in the system. In contrast, the operation Mr. Wert lead in southwest Florida had a volume of more than 12 times the Tallahassee total.

"As a smaller operation, Tallahassee was often used at the training ground for younger, newer managers," he said.

Their inexperience showed on the bottom line.

Finally, TruGreen lost patience and decided to license the operation to a private franchisee, if they could find one. They did in the person of Mr. Wert.

tiedeman
10-18-2006, 02:45 PM
I keep on reading more and more lately, especially in the last month, about states cracking down on pesticides, and even making current licensed applicators to jump through my hoops in testing. I know that they want applicators to become technicans now. Which is basically more training.

Steve
10-18-2006, 03:10 PM
How do you feel that will effect the industry?

tiedeman
10-18-2006, 07:04 PM
It really depends on how people embrace it. I can see the industry going to a complete "green themed" industry over night. By that I mean no pesticides, battery powered equipment, less lawns to more, water restrictions, etc.