PDA

View Full Version : Greenhand

Squirrel
09-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Hey everybody I am Ben. I live in Unionville, Indiana. I am a junior in high school and I plan to start my own small lawncare business this coming summer. I am hoping this will help me out!

Steve
09-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Welcome to our forum Ben.

What got you interested in starting your own business?

Squirrel
09-23-2010, 06:52 PM
Welcome to our forum Ben.

What got you interested in starting your own business?

Well at our school we are lucky enough to have agriculture classes and I am taking two of them. They are landscaping and agribusiness management. I have always thought about starting my own business but now taking these classes has helped me figure things out. So I am pretty sure I will have my own business this coming summer. I have done lawn mowing and landscaping stuff for people in my area and they say I am good at it. So i am hoping my business will succeed.

Steve
09-24-2010, 05:19 PM
I am sure you will succeed.

What lessons do you feel stood out from your classes so far that you feel will really help you out with your business?

Squirrel
09-26-2010, 09:53 PM
I am sure you will succeed.

What lessons do you feel stood out from your classes so far that you feel will really help you out with your business?

I am in FFA which is Agriculture education and it is through those classes. We go to contests around our district and state to compete in anything from ag-mechanics to forestry. I have been in quite a few of the landscape contests and soil judging and I think that has helped me. I know a lot more about how to take care of turfgrass, landscaping, etc.than before I joined FFA. So it has definatly helped me. I have learned that you can't just start a business and sit back and watch. It's a lot if hard work but I think I am fairly ready for it.

Steve
09-27-2010, 09:42 AM
I think understanding soil is something that most new lawn care business owners really fail to study up on.

Are there any pointers you have learned when it comes to healthy lawns and soil composition that you could share with us?

Like maybe 5 really important issues they really need to study up on?