PDA

View Full Version : One problem ends but another begines

jasonw
09-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok so I think we are in the clear now. I have been working very hard to get things on track and the money is slowly but surly climbing back up now which is a huge relief but now my ambition is just gone. I just feel like saying ok I am not losing anymore but now I want to count my losses and run. I have an appointment today at 2pm and its taking everything I have to tell myself to show up to it. I guess I am just feeling in this economy, at this time, in this business it is impossible to get going and make it. This is the 2nd week of my new add and guess what................. You guessed it 2nd week and not one call. I am going to be expected to pony up $106 this week to continue the add bit my head is really telling me to just stop.

Steve
09-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Some ads in some outlets will work. Others won't. Don't let the fact that this ad may not be working, get tied into some bigger issue to depress you. Just allow yourself to know some ads don't work.

When you are getting overwhelmed, take it all step by step. That should help you realize that everyday you are experimenting and you are growing more.

What are some of your short term goals now and how to you plan to achieve them? Let's work on building now. Let's feel good about being in business.

jasonw
09-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I honestly think I have just lost the edge. I dont enjoy it anymore, I'm tired. It was my best performing venture now its my worst so its time to cut the lines and pay attention to the ones that are making money.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-22-2010, 11:34 PM
I honestly think I have just lost the edge. I dont enjoy it anymore, I'm tired. It was my best performing venture now its my worst so its time to cut the lines and pay attention to the ones that are making money.

sad but true sometimes. If you dont have that fire then really whats the point might as well go back to the day job. Hope it comes back for you I hate hearing stuff like this.

Steve
09-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Is it at all possible that you had been a lot more advanced with your business before your pullback and now you are back in and because it is not going at the same level, it has bummed you out a bit?

If that is the case, is this something that you would be able to overcome once things start to pick up again?

jasonw
09-23-2010, 08:53 PM
sad but true sometimes. If you dont have that fire then really whats the point might as well go back to the day job. Hope it comes back for you I hate hearing stuff like this.

No doubt. I remember a time I love going out and doing a bid. Now I dread even putting the weed eater in the truck. I dont feel this is something I can overcome, I dont even know what started it but just feel the burning desire to count my losses now that I am not losing money anymore.

Steve
09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Would a break over the winter help give you a little time to relax and maybe help you gear up for next year?

jasonw
09-25-2010, 03:27 PM
That may not be a bad idea. Just tough it out until the season eds which is very soon and take a break over winter. I do have some winter jobs but they are only like 4 hours once per month and for friends so its like a big BBQ and driving tractors so its kinda fun. Should I stop all my advertising over winter to ensure I get my break or keep it up so I dont lose any potential business?

Steve
09-25-2010, 05:27 PM
I would only advertise in ways that were effective. If you are not getting any responses, the ad is not effective. Either try another message, another outlet or focus on another marketing method. Keep talking to people and keep handing out business cards no matter what.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-25-2010, 07:09 PM
That may not be a bad idea. Just tough it out until the season eds which is very soon and take a break over winter. I do have some winter jobs but they are only like 4 hours once per month and for friends so its like a big BBQ and driving tractors so its kinda fun. Should I stop all my advertising over winter to ensure I get my break or keep it up so I dont lose any potential business?

Well in my mind it doesnt make sence to advertise you spring/summer stuff in the winter. So I would cut it till a month or too prior and go all out that way. Thats just my 2 cents...

jasonw
09-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Steve advertising really worries me. The $106 per month I pay now is the lowest price for comparable advertising meaning if I use a different paper for example I am potentially losing more money if I get no calls and losing money worries me. Maybe as mentioned cut it for a while and keep handing out business cards. I will save $106 per month, For one month of that I can get a bunch of fliers and start ground pounding. I am having a huge problem with my winter services though. I didn't offer any last year and this year I have no idea what to offer. I wont do snow removal because I hate and wont go up to the snow but what ells is there to do in winter time? Its funny I own my home but have no idea what I do in winter time to maintain my own property lol.

Steve
09-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Can you ask your family, friends and current customers, what services they have to perform on their house and property during the winter? These things may differ based on your geographic region so asking those who live locally may help.

jasonw
09-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Can you ask your family, friends and current customers, what services they have to perform on their house and property during the winter? These things may differ based on your geographic region so asking those who live locally may help.

Way ahead of ya Steve. I put out a message on FaceBook the day before yesterday asking that same question. Have not gotten much response yet other than my mother giving me a hard time about asking others to do my research for me and my aunt replied but they live 10 hours north and get several feet of snow so like you said, what they do up there dose not apply to my area. One thing they mentioned though is trimming the trees away from the house in late fall and scraping the wall where they rubbed all year and repainting that spot.