PDA

View Full Version : new kid on the block-doing ok?

brian'slawncare
09-20-2010, 04:22 PM
hey everyone,
I haen't had a chance to introduce myself here yet, but my name is Brian.
I own/operate Brian's Lawn Care in Cincinnati Ohio. I am a 13 year old entrepreneur. I have inherited a 33" mulching deck troy-bilt mower from my dad. I love the mower but I am hoping to gain some money to buy a wider deck. The mower stripes pretty nice when its mowing thick, green grass but if its thin and brown, usually it doesn't leave a trace but a tire mark.

I currently mow 6 properties and will occasionally pick up a few part time (ei-one/two mows)

Here are some of my stripes pics as well as a pressure washing pic and a garden re-shape/edge. Let me know what you think.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=106706&l=428f6743c6&id=100001426040481

heres a link to my website. let me know what you think

http://www.brianslawncare.web.officelive.com

ALL COMMENTS APPRECIATED

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Look like your doing great. looked over the website liked the overall fllow of it but the main thing that popped out at me was on the first page you have do these 3 things and you will have a better lawn but in the description you have 4 things listed so I would either change it to 4 things to do or remove the aeration service from the spring comment.

Anyways that all I can say at 1030 my brain shutting down so goodnight.

Steve
09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi Brian,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your business? Who inspired you? What words of advice do you have for other teens considering starting their own business?

brian'slawncare
09-21-2010, 06:30 PM
i first became interested in mowing lawns when me and my friend turned his tard into a complete golf course. I then realized I enjoyed mowing lawns. Now I have my own company running in my neighborhood.

If you were a teen starting a business I would say to start small and grow big. It took a matter of the whole summer to get these accounts. Also, I havr to remind you it is very time consuming and you must be able to balance school with it. I made that mistake. My graded plummeted when I started this and almost was forced to end it. Luckly i found a way to balance it

the way I gain business is put flyers in everyones mailbox, then I personally walk up to doors that i know have it professionaly done. I lowball ($20/CUT)
therefor I usually get the job.

Also i have generated enough money that by the end of next year I will buy a turt tracer carryall from a golf course and get a trailer for it.

I HOPE TO GROW GROW GROW.

jymie
09-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Nice website. Noticed a lot of spelling errors through out the site though. Use spell check on each page. You can use Microsoft word by copying and pasting your written stuff into it then correct most of them that way.

brian'slawncare
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
You can use Microsoft word by copying and pasting your written stuff into it then correct most of them that way.

Thanks for that tip, I think I will try that. Also, Does anyone know how to add a homemade striping kit for my mower? I think I will try a rubber a rubber flap but I have no clue where to put it?

Steve
09-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Brian,

Do a search on here for striping kits. There have been plenty that have been posted on here and they will give you some good ideas.

My graded plummeted when I started this and almost was forced to end it. Luckly i found a way to balance it

I bet this is an issue a lot of teen business owners run into. What did you do to balance it and make it all work?

brian'slawncare
09-23-2010, 02:42 PM
ok, I will search that next.

I bet this is an issue a lot of teen business owners run into. What did you do to balance it and make it all work?

I really just had to squeeze as many cuts into one day, then I would have more time for school. Also, I learned that my grades have to come first, then my business (whether that was saying I was just unavailable or having to do stuff early.

Steve
09-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Do you prefer to cut lawns during the week or on the weekend?

brian'slawncare
09-23-2010, 05:57 PM
it really depends. I have two people scheduled every Thursday (just got back) but its ok because they are right next door. If I am free one night I will call someone and ask if I can do it that night. Usually they say yes. I try to keep my weekends free so I can go do other things.

Steve
09-24-2010, 05:18 PM
What are some of your big plans for your business coming up in the future?

brian'slawncare
09-24-2010, 05:44 PM
I hope to continue this through highschool and college and maybe even as an adult

jklawncare
09-24-2010, 11:56 PM
hey guys its been a looonnggg time

im not gonna get into why i havnt been on here in so long etc since i dont watn to steal brians post but i thought id give him some tips

the striping kit you were wondering about.. you need the following,,a length of pvc(size depends on what you think is best) it should be as long as the inside of both wheels not a whole lot longer and no shorter, you need 2 end caps, pvc cement, and sand or gravel, youll also need 2 eye bolts and zipties

hook the eye bolts into the sides of the caps and glue one cap onto the pvc.
fill with sand or rock or cement whatever you fancy and seal and cement the second cap hook to the back of your mower with zip ties

simple CHEAP and very very VERY effective

also i just wanna say
DONT GIVE UP
if your customers start dropping dont lose hope
dont quit
dont sell out your other customers to other companies or drop them all together

you can always re advertise cause in the middle of summer theres always gonna be the ppl that are tired of doing it and will pay for someone to complete the year

at the end of summer start advertising for fall cleanups etc.

if you got any questions pm me ill be on a lot more now

hope it helps

justin
jk lawn care

brian'slawncare
09-25-2010, 08:49 AM
thanks for those tips Justin

For the striper- how did you attach it to your mower?

jklawncare
09-26-2010, 01:43 PM
sip ties go around the eye bolts and you make a circle
then 2 more go through the circle zip ties and around bolts or whatever is availalbe on your mower

i fogot to mention im only 16
also that the striper should rest about and inch off of the ground

brian'slawncare
09-27-2010, 06:40 AM
alright. thanks

ill post send pics and send them to you when I complete it

Steve
09-27-2010, 09:36 AM
im not gonna get into why i havnt been on here in so long etc since i dont watn to steal brians post but i thought id give him some tips

Give us the low down, where've you been :)

You had a lot of great advice in that post. Have you seen a bunch of other businesses give up too soon when they didn't have too? What's your view on why they give up so early? Or easily?