PDA

View Full Version : X749 Tilling

picframer
09-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Had a client call a few days ago wanting their lawn tilled under and hydro seeeded, we use RTF hydro seed, if you are looking for a lawn that will stand up to just about anything, this seed is amazing.

Anyhow our process is to apply turf dressing and till it under, spray with an organic product that will brake the grass down go back in five days, till again, roll and then have the hydro seeder come in.

These PTO tillers just shock me at the quality vs a walk behind, I have never seen such great results and clients rave about it.

This is a 18,000 sp/ft property, took me 2 hours from start to finish, brought a new helper as I am showing him the various things we do and had him hand rake a few spots, paid five hundred bucks.

Image one and two in the centre is the first till last week, around the edge is my first pass

Steve
09-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Andy,

The end result looks amazing! It seems that the X749 can simply just till right through any grass or weeds that are growing without having to pull them out! That must be a huge time saver.

What about downward pressure? In the past, some of your pictures with your box blade have had a large rock on it to apply downward pressure. Is this not important when tilling?

picframer
09-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Andy,

The end result looks amazing! It seems that the X749 can simply just till right through any grass or weeds that are growing without having to pull them out! That must be a huge time saver.

What about downward pressure? In the past, some of your pictures with your box blade have had a large rock on it to apply downward pressure. Is this not important when tilling?

With a tiller you do not need down pressure, this is a reverse tiller that spins at high speed, around 900 RPM at the tip of the tine, basically when we till grass or weeds, there simply isn't anything left of it.

I just added a third X749 as these units will do anything, I powered my home and workshop for three days running a 15 KW generator, supplied water from the well, hot water, stove, all my tools in short it was like we never lost power, being diesel it sips fuel, about 5 gallons every 11 hours going full steam.

I see things like this and most of our equipment as strategic investments, they may be expensive to some but I look at what the return on investment is, with the work we have and what it can do, the $21,000 cost is paid for in under 6 months and these tractors will go 10 years or more.

The other advantage is I have next to no competition, a lawn like this would probably take a day to do with a walk behind and you will never get these results.

Steve
09-17-2010, 01:41 PM
That is very interesting!

When you apply a top dressing, how thick is it? Is it like an inch of topsoil or something else?

picframer
09-17-2010, 03:04 PM
That is very interesting!

When you apply a top dressing, how thick is it? Is it like an inch of topsoil or something else?

Top or turf dressing is spread 1/2 to 3/4"

picframer
09-18-2010, 03:54 AM
I stopped by the site for a moment yesterday and took a couple of pictures from the truck, we was raining very hard so I couldn't get a real close look but from what I could see, it turned out great.

Steve
09-18-2010, 03:26 PM
I am sure they are very happy with the results. It looks great.