PDA

View Full Version : Took the plunge, did I make a mistake?

CanadayLandscaping
09-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to the business. I have been debating on starting a lawn care business for probably 5 years. In the midst of trying to make up my mind, I moved from Maryland, to North Carolina. I decided to do what I knew, and that was the propane business, and truck driving.

As of a month ago, I decided enough is enough, I've lettered my truck, printed up flyers, have had business cards made, and spoken to an account. If i'm going to do this, I want to do it right.

I've put flyers up, spoken to a few people, and handed out a few business cards. So far, nothing. Not even a call. I'm starting to hit a funk, my neighbor across the street is booming with business, but, I don't want to do it his way, nothing is up to snuff. His work is good, but he's not "legit", if you know what I mean. Anyway, did I make a mistake? Is this market just flooded with too many lawn care companies? Or am I just freaking out for no reason, and the phone isn't ringing because of the time of year. Any idea?

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and new to the business. I have been debating on starting a lawn care business for probably 5 years. In the midst of trying to make up my mind, I moved from Maryland, to North Carolina. I decided to do what I knew, and that was the propane business, and truck driving.

As of a month ago, I decided enough is enough, I've lettered my truck, printed up flyers, have had business cards made, and spoken to an account. If i'm going to do this, I want to do it right.

I've put flyers up, spoken to a few people, and handed out a few business cards. So far, nothing. Not even a call. I'm starting to hit a funk, my neighbor across the street is booming with business, but, I don't want to do it his way, nothing is up to snuff. His work is good, but he's not "legit", if you know what I mean. Anyway, did I make a mistake? Is this market just flooded with too many lawn care companies? Or am I just freaking out for no reason, and the phone isn't ringing because of the time of year. Any idea?

Welcome, Congrates, and Good Luck.

Its slowed down around here so it could be a time of year thing but I havent been doing it long enough to know.

roysyardandhaul
09-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Congrats! I'm new here as well and I am in my second year of business. So far I have around 25 regular clients (that keeps me busy for 3 days a week) and am currently booked for the next 2 weeks the other 3 days a week. I run my business in the Portland OR area and there are hundreds if not thousands of guys out here with trucks and mowers. The key for me is sales and marketing ( I have years of that) I use the newspaper-craigslist-flyers (target areas) networking and getting ready to start canvassing door to door.

To me doing good work is only 10% of the job the other 90 is how you approch people and treat your customer.

I retained 99.9% of my customers last year and I plan on doing the same next year.

So keep it up I am - The business will come one customer at a time.

Good Luck.

Eric

TouchtonsCLC
09-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Is this market just flooded with too many lawn care companies? Or am I just freaking out for no reason, and the phone isn't ringing because of the time of year. Any idea?

I'm in NE Florida, and there are A LOT of lawn care companies here. There are also a lot of people that want lawn service. If you offer quality service and good client relations, you'll see your business grow. This time of year is when it starts to slow down for us, so that might be part of it.

We're also pretty new, started last year. We have around 56 clients: we received a lot from Craigslist, word-of-mouth advertising from our other clients, and canvassing neighborhoods with quotes for lawncare written on the back of our business cards.

Try marketing for free on Craigslist. Just a thought.

CanadayLandscaping
09-07-2010, 05:39 PM
How do you guys get clients through craigslist. I have posted a couple times and all i get is spammers.

TouchtonsCLC
09-07-2010, 07:51 PM
How do you guys get clients through craigslist. I have posted a couple times and all i get is spammers.

I select the "Hide" button on the Reply method when posting an ad. People have to contact us through our phone number or website; we've not had any spam this way.

Steve
09-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi CanadayLandscaping,

Welcome to our forum!

It sounds like you have been marketing your business to a lot of people you don't know. What kinds of things have you been doing to market to people you already know?

desertgreen
09-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Hi what i find very helpful is i post a flyers on craigs list with html and that helps out allot and it hides your email so no more spammers..lol..if you need help with flyers i charge $50 for a professional flyer something like this contact me if your interested.. http://www.gopherforum.com/picture.php?albumid=63&pictureid=214