PDA

View Full Version : Sprinkler and lawn instalation?

jasonw
09-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I went to do a bid today and thought I would ask advice. I need to install a sprinkler system and lawn. The ground is already tilled, rocks are not removed but they said they are going to have there kids do that to save money. As far as I can figure if my math is correct the lawn area is 640sf They do not want sod or anything fancy just an irrigation system and lawn seed spread out. I have a seed spreader so that's no problem. I explained that while its not rocket science I have yet to ever to a sprinkler system. They understand but dont care "family friends" I will also be installing one 24"X31' flower bed on one side of the yard and one 4'X12' flower bed on the other side with a 1/4 circle 5' out in one corner with gravel. So far I am looking at the following numbers for the job

Trencher $220.76 per day, should only take one day VS $25 per hour to use shovels @ 8 hours $280 per day, may take one or 2 days so the trencher sounds cheaper however I have yet to add in cost of labor to run the trencher so maybe its not cheaper.

Timer $110 for 12 station.

Pipe 3/4X10' S40 $1.57 each = $17.58 total

I have yet to add in heads, couplers, valves, or anything not listed above or the labor to install anything not listed above. What I am looking for is a general number. They want 4 heads for the lawn and irrigation for the flower beds tied in as well. If you were to do a quote like this "640sf seed and irrigation" What would it be. Basically I am looking for a quote to go off of so when I am done with mine I can compare it to yours.

The Cleaning Doctor
09-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Believe me, the trencher is cheaper. By the way you might want to check around because 225 is real high in my area.

jasonw
09-04-2010, 11:49 AM
Believe me, the trencher is cheaper. By the way you might want to check around because 225 is real high in my area.

I plan top look at a few more places. The trencher is 2 times the price of there bobcat. I wander if the kid on the phone looked at the wrong price.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Have to agree it is high. 80 for 4hrs or 140 ish for whole day in my area.

Also cant be to accurate not know more specifics. You told us area but not how far to conect to water line where your valves will be etc. Looks like its a little over 100ft based on your math. Trencher would be faster and easier. Small can of primer and glue. If you get the 20ft lengths they already have couplers on them. Depending on set up 2 tees and 2 elbows with threads for your risers. Price of sprinklers. And whatever turns and corners to go around.

Did and install last week about same size(but every job is different). about $300 in material. $80 rental and about $400 in labor. This is just the sprinkler portion. And was for a family friend so was discounted down a bit.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I plan top look at a few more places. The trencher is 2 times the price of there bobcat. I wander if the kid on the phone looked at the wrong price.

If you have a home depot in your area grab their rental price sheet I always have one with me.

jasonw
09-04-2010, 12:47 PM
If you have a home depot in your area grab their rental price sheet I always have one with me.

No home depot but we do have a lowes. The prices I got were fro Ace hardware. I called back and a half day rental was $150.03. The water hook up is about 6' from where the lawn will be. There is already a pipe running from it under the concrete walkway and into the area that will be the lawn however its not capped off and its a year old so who knows what crawled up there and not being capped off I am assuming its not already connected to the water as that part of it is underground and I cant see them digging and putting a shut off under the dirt then covering it over. I am assuming at this point the pipe was just put there as a way to later hook it up and add irrigation when they added the concrete walkway.

The Cleaning Doctor
09-04-2010, 03:04 PM
We use funny pipe. No glue or clamps and very fast installation. 100' roll is $25.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-04-2010, 06:15 PM
We use funny pipe. No glue or clamps and very fast installation. 100' roll is $25.

Not to attack your way of doing things but the shady companies in our area use that stuff. Its a rip off in my opinion Not very reliable. Unless you was using pex would I consider using a flexable pipe like that but would be cheaper to use PVC still.

The Cleaning Doctor
09-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Not at all. We have had no issues with this pipe here. I will say though that you get more hot weather for longer periods of time that may cause issues by softening up the pipe. It is also buried deeper here than you would need to bury it in AZ, thus keeping it cooler that way also. We bury ours a minimum of 24" but most of the time closer to 36".

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Not at all. We have had no issues with this pipe here. I will say though that you get more hot weather for longer periods of time that may cause issues by softening up the pipe. It is also buried deeper here than you would need to bury it in AZ, thus keeping it cooler that way also. We bury ours a minimum of 24" but most of the time closer to 36".

Ya thats the big difference then. Most sprinkler/drip lines are 8-12in deep here. The main water line is 2-3ft deep. Also dont know how many rocks you have in your soil but the expansion and contraction of the pipe on a rock is what causes the issue for us. And would immagine the heat doesnt help either. Its strange how different areas/states do things.

jasonw
09-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I use that stuff on my ranch and will NOT use it at a clients house. No way no how. My hope is I never have to go back to repair anything. My quote is approaching $1K labor and materials. I will have to get to adding up and see for sure.

jasonw
09-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I use that stuff on my ranch and will NOT use it at a clients house. No way no how. My hope is I never have to go back to repair anything. My quote is approaching $1K labor and materials. I will have to get to adding up and see for sure.

Ok so $1,293.95 is what I came out with for the final estimate. This include all materials and labor. Dose that sound about right?

Steve
09-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Do you want to break that down to include total man hours, equipment rental costs and parts needed?

jasonw
09-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Do you want to break that down to include total man hours, equipment rental costs and parts needed?

The parts list is just to much to list but this includes everything from the timer to heads $220 for the rental of the trencher and $600 for labor are the biggest. I was at $840 for labor but gave them $10 per hour of labor off because they are good friends. I am anticipating it to take 3 days or 24 hours but I am more expecting it to take 2 days or 16 hours. I feel with the trencher we should be able to whoop the trenches out in a couple few hours. The rest is putting things together and getting it buttoned up.

JRojas
09-05-2010, 03:07 PM
What about a license? The back flow device? What kind are you going to use? What about water pressure? You need to be careful because here in Texas you have to have a license, not sure about where you are at. But that is a good deal as long as you dont have to have a license.

MountainViewGreenskeeper
09-05-2010, 09:23 PM
Sounds about right. Unless Im missing something its shouldnt take you more than 1.5 days by urself. I did a complete ground up in 3.5 days with 2 people. That was 140ft of pipe, 6 heads, drip line, 9 bushes, 2 trees, 7 tons of gravel, 4.5 tons fill dirt, 1000sq ft sod, boarder and a few other little things. So that shouldnt take you to long.

Steve
09-06-2010, 02:03 AM
Take some pictures of the before and after of the job!

jasonw
09-06-2010, 12:53 PM
What about a license? The back flow device? What kind are you going to use? What about water pressure? You need to be careful because here in Texas you have to have a license, not sure about where you are at. But that is a good deal as long as you dont have to have a license.

Honestly I dont have the license I need for my state. I normally steer clear of this kind of work, I am only doing it because its for a friend.