PDA

View Full Version : What is happening to this lawn?

Coochman
09-01-2010, 05:32 PM
HI all

I have a customer who's lawn is nice and green. Looks great. There are however two problems with it. First off he has moles. Big time moles. Everyday someone has to go out and step on the tunnels to push them back down. I know what you're going to say, kill the grubs. Already did that, twice. I think they are going after the earth worms, who are beneficial, so we don't want to kill them off. The chewing gum trick was tried as well. Tomorrow I am going to try and use some of those revenge smoke bombs on them. Any other suggestions?

Aaaaand secondly, since there are no grubs I am completely baffled as to why the grass,which looks good, will just peel back like a carpet when you drag your foot over it. The only thing I can think of here is that it may be a fungus. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Jay

The Cleaning Doctor
09-01-2010, 06:57 PM
find one of the mole runs in an out of the way place and bury an old glass soda bottle in about a 45 degree angle with about 2 inches above ground and that is all you have to do. The wind moving past the bottle will make a sound they don't like. Wouldn't believe it myself it it didn't work for my grandpa.

mark123
09-01-2010, 07:01 PM
... Aaaaand secondly, since there are no grubs I am completely baffled as to why the grass,which looks good, will just peel back like a carpet when you drag your foot over it. ...
Is the lawn shaded?

Coochman
09-02-2010, 07:03 AM
Yes very shaded. And he waters it in the morining and again in the afternoon. That's why I think it may be a fungus. Never really has time to dry out.

mark123
09-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Yes very shaded. And he waters it in the morining and again in the afternoon. That's why I think it may be a fungus. Never really has time to dry out.
Does he water every day? That's rather detrimental. Daily watering makes the grass dependent. The roots move nearer the surface which could be why you can peel up the lawn. Add to that shady conditions and you've got a losing battle.