PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to be licensed ??

Lawn Envy
08-31-2010, 11:10 PM
Just a quick question for everyone. I live in California and have been doing my business for over a yr. I have found so much useful info from this forum. I've look and have not found requirements for being a "licensed" business. I do have a business license but do not have a landscaping license. I only do maintenance and would love to start bidding on commercial accounts. I was told I can not charge more than $500 per any invoice. Is this true? Is there a license for just maintenance?

Sorry for a common question, but I have not found any post regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance for your info.

JMADEWELL09
08-31-2010, 11:44 PM
i live in Nevada and you have to have a business lic for lawn maint. And all that is for is to mow weedeat and trim hedges. But to do Landscaping you have to have a business lic for landscaping and a nursery lic to sell, stock, install nursery stock and you have to have a Nevada state Contractors lic. And you must have the contractor lic before they will give you a business lic for landscaping. To get a contractors lic in Nevada is about $3000.00 and the landscaping lic with the nursey lic is $604.00. My uncle got the contractors lic and the lanscaping lic.

NAC 624.280 Classification C-10: Landscape contracting. (NRS 624.100, 624.220)

1. The Board will grant to qualified applicants a license in the specialty of landscape contracting. The Board designates such a license as a “classification C-10” license.

2. A person who holds a classification C-10 license may grade and prepare plots of land for architectural horticulture, decoratively treat, arrange, plant and maintain gardens, lawns, shrubs, vines, bushes, trees and other vegetation, construct systems of drainage and landscape irrigation, install rocks, sand, gravel and other landscape materials that use xeriscape principles, hydroseed by spraying mulch, seeds and nutrients under pressure, control soil erosion and install nonengineered decorative landscape ponds or nonengineered prefabricated trellises and arbors.

3. In conjunction with the work specified in subsection 2, a person who holds a classification C-10 license may install nonload-bearing walkways using brick or stone not exceeding 200 square feet in area, patio areas using brick or stone not exceeding 400 square feet in area, landscape retaining walls to a height not exceeding 3 feet and landscape lighting not exceeding 24 volts.

(Added to NAC by Contractors’ Bd., eff. 8-26-83; A 9-13-91; 5-20-92; R209-03, 11-17-2005)

NRS 624.700 Engaging in business or submitting bid without license unlawful; prosecution; damages; bid submitted in violation of section void.

1. It is unlawful for any person or combination of persons to:

(a) Engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor within this State; or

(b) Submit a bid on a job situated within this State,

Ê without having an active license therefor as provided in this chapter, unless that person or combination of persons is exempted from licensure pursuant to NRS 624.031.

2. The district attorneys in this State shall prosecute all violations of this section which occur in their respective counties, unless the violations are prosecuted by the Attorney General. Upon the request of the Board, the Attorney General shall prosecute any violation of this section in lieu of prosecution by the district attorney.

3. In addition to any other penalty imposed pursuant to this chapter, a person who is convicted of violating subsection 1 may be required to pay:

(a) Court costs and the costs of prosecution;

(b) Reasonable costs of the investigation of the violation to the Board;

(c) Damages the person caused as a result of the violation up to the amount of the person’s pecuniary gain from the violation; or

(d) Any combination of paragraphs (a), (b) and (c).

4. If a person submits a bid or enters into a contract in violation of subsection 1, the bid or contract shall be deemed void ab initio.

[1:Art. VII:186:1941; A 1953, 521]—(NRS A 1967, 1042; 1969, 939; 1987, 771; 1995, 927; 1999, 2957)

NRS 624.710 Administrative fine for engaging in business or submitting bid without license; fine cumulative; action for fine; deposit of fine in Construction Education Account.

1. If any person violates the provisions of subsection 1 of NRS 624.700, subsection 1, 2 or 3 of NRS 624.720 or NRS 624.740, the Board may impose for each violation an administrative fine in an amount that is not less than $1,000 and not more than $50,000.

Norcal
09-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Just a quick question for everyone. I live in California and have been doing my business for over a yr. I have found so much useful info from this forum. I've look and have not found requirements for being a "licensed" business. I do have a business license but do not have a landscaping license. I only do maintenance and would love to start bidding on commercial accounts. I was told I can not charge more than $500 per any invoice. Is this true? Is there a license for just maintenance?

Sorry for a common question, but I have not found any post regarding this issue.

Thanks in advance for your info.

I also live in California as far as maintaining a commercial account eg the same thing you are doing now only on a larger scale. The only thing I have found in order to bid them you have to have Insurance most appartment complexes want you to have 1,000,000 over all gross I got a quote from a company out of Fairfield as my auto insurance company does not offer it and it was around $1700 for a year a big bill if you are small outfit for something you may never use the only thing it doesn't cover you to do is dig so with that you can do regular maintenance. Everything else falls under the non contractor agreement of no more than $500 per job in Sacremento it used to be $500 per year per household but it has changed to per job as for as the lic. board has told me. You can ask around check mini marts most of them only want you to beat the current guys bid no insurance. Going back a min the $500 that includes matierial and labor if you front the matierial. you also have to prove that you have been in the field of buisiness for 4 years. Best thing to do is find a couple you would like to bid say next year they usually open there bidding in jan ask them now what you need to have or there requirements to bid there job

Good luck

TouchtonsCLC
09-01-2010, 10:32 AM
There's no special licensing to cut lawns in Florida. Just register fictitious name (or corporation) with state, pay taxes, and buy enough insurance to cover yourself and your clients.

Spraying herbacides/pestacides requires licensing. Not sure about sprinkler systems, as we don't do those.

Lawn Envy
09-01-2010, 09:25 PM
I also live in California as far as maintaining a commercial account eg the same thing you are doing now only on a larger scale. The only thing I have found in order to bid them you have to have Insurance most appartment complexes want you to have 1,000,000 over all gross I got a quote from a company out of Fairfield as my auto insurance company does not offer it and it was around $1700 for a year a big bill if you are small outfit for something you may never use the only thing it doesn't cover you to do is dig so with that you can do regular maintenance. Everything else falls under the non contractor agreement of no more than $500 per job in Sacremento it used to be $500 per year per household but it has changed to per job as for as the lic. board has told me. You can ask around check mini marts most of them only want you to beat the current guys bid no insurance. Going back a min the $500 that includes matierial and labor if you front the matierial. you also have to prove that you have been in the field of buisiness for 4 years. Best thing to do is find a couple you would like to bid say next year they usually open there bidding in jan ask them now what you need to have or there requirements to bid there job

Good luck

Hey Norcal. Thanks for the info. I do also carry a 1 million ins coverage. I guess in the next few years I'll start biding on commerical accounts. Thanks for your input and Info. Hey one last question. What about applying fertlizer? I have herd that you need a special license. Is this true for residental fertlizer that you would buy say at Lowes?

Ray

Lawn Envy
09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
i live in Nevada and you have to have a business lic for lawn maint. And all that is for is to mow weedeat and trim hedges. But to do Landscaping you have to have a business lic for landscaping and a nursery lic to sell, stock, install nursery stock and you have to have a Nevada state Contractors lic. And you must have the contractor lic before they will give you a business lic for landscaping. To get a contractors lic in Nevada is about $3000.00 and the landscaping lic with the nursey lic is $604.00. My uncle got the contractors lic and the lanscaping lic.

NAC 624.280 Classification C-10: Landscape contracting. (NRS 624.100, 624.220)

1. The Board will grant to qualified applicants a license in the specialty of landscape contracting. The Board designates such a license as a “classification C-10” license.

2. A person who holds a classification C-10 license may grade and prepare plots of land for architectural horticulture, decoratively treat, arrange, plant and maintain gardens, lawns, shrubs, vines, bushes, trees and other vegetation, construct systems of drainage and landscape irrigation, install rocks, sand, gravel and other landscape materials that use xeriscape principles, hydroseed by spraying mulch, seeds and nutrients under pressure, control soil erosion and install nonengineered decorative landscape ponds or nonengineered prefabricated trellises and arbors.

3. In conjunction with the work specified in subsection 2, a person who holds a classification C-10 license may install nonload-bearing walkways using brick or stone not exceeding 200 square feet in area, patio areas using brick or stone not exceeding 400 square feet in area, landscape retaining walls to a height not exceeding 3 feet and landscape lighting not exceeding 24 volts.

(Added to NAC by Contractors’ Bd., eff. 8-26-83; A 9-13-91; 5-20-92; R209-03, 11-17-2005)

NRS 624.700 Engaging in business or submitting bid without license unlawful; prosecution; damages; bid submitted in violation of section void.

1. It is unlawful for any person or combination of persons to:

(a) Engage in the business or act in the capacity of a contractor within this State; or

(b) Submit a bid on a job situated within this State,

Ê without having an active license therefor as provided in this chapter, unless that person or combination of persons is exempted from licensure pursuant to NRS 624.031.

2. The district attorneys in this State shall prosecute all violations of this section which occur in their respective counties, unless the violations are prosecuted by the Attorney General. Upon the request of the Board, the Attorney General shall prosecute any violation of this section in lieu of prosecution by the district attorney.

3. In addition to any other penalty imposed pursuant to this chapter, a person who is convicted of violating subsection 1 may be required to pay:

(a) Court costs and the costs of prosecution;

(b) Reasonable costs of the investigation of the violation to the Board;

(c) Damages the person caused as a result of the violation up to the amount of the person’s pecuniary gain from the violation; or

(d) Any combination of paragraphs (a), (b) and (c).

4. If a person submits a bid or enters into a contract in violation of subsection 1, the bid or contract shall be deemed void ab initio.

[1:Art. VII:186:1941; A 1953, 521]—(NRS A 1967, 1042; 1969, 939; 1987, 771; 1995, 927; 1999, 2957)

NRS 624.710 Administrative fine for engaging in business or submitting bid without license; fine cumulative; action for fine; deposit of fine in Construction Education Account.

1. If any person violates the provisions of subsection 1 of NRS 624.700, subsection 1, 2 or 3 of NRS 624.720 or NRS 624.740, the Board may impose for each violation an administrative fine in an amount that is not less than $1,000 and not more than $50,000.

Wow thanks for all the info. Sounds live Nevada wants you to jump through many hoops.

Ray

JMADEWELL09
09-01-2010, 10:25 PM
I HAVE ALSO FOUND THIS FOR CALIFORNIA. TO DO LANSDCAPING IN CALIFORINA YOU MUST HAVE A STATE CONTRACTING LIC JUST LIKE NEVADA

C27 - Landscaping ContractorCalifornia Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement

HERE IS THE WEBSITE TO THE CALIFORNIA CONTRACTORS BOARD SO U CAN GET MORE INFO

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/generalinformation/library/licensingclassifications/

Lawn Envy
09-01-2010, 11:12 PM
I HAVE ALSO FOUND THIS FOR CALIFORNIA. TO DO LANSDCAPING IN CALIFORINA YOU MUST HAVE A STATE CONTRACTING LIC JUST LIKE NEVADA

C27 - Landscaping ContractorCalifornia Code of Regulations
Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications

A landscape contractor constructs, maintains, repairs, installs, or subcontracts the development of landscape systems and facilities for public and private gardens and other areas which are designed to aesthetically, architecturally, horticulturally, or functionally improve the grounds within or surrounding a structure or a tract or plot of land. In connection therewith, a landscape contractor prepares and grades plots and areas of land for the installation of any architectural, horticultural and decorative treatment or arrangement

HERE IS THE WEBSITE TO THE CALIFORNIA CONTRACTORS BOARD SO U CAN GET MORE INFO

http://www.cslb.ca.gov/generalinformation/library/licensingclassifications/

Yeah I knew about the C-27 license. I was more concerned about licensing regarding maintenance. Thanks for the additional info.

Ray

Steve
09-02-2010, 01:56 PM
It seems like landscaping has a lot more licensing concerns than does maintenance.

Norcal
09-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey Norcal. Thanks for the info. I do also carry a 1 million ins coverage. I guess in the next few years I'll start biding on commerical accounts. Thanks for your input and Info. Hey one last question. What about applying fertlizer? I have herd that you need a special license. Is this true for residental fertlizer that you would buy say at Lowes?

Ray

No requirements for fertilizer only weed killer don't spray round up or anything like it. You can take a class for the lic and pay a fee for the lic find a mix on line for natural weed killers that work ok on spurge and some broad leaf weed using dish soap salt and vinegar and I use it in a pump sprayer it is better if you mix it the night before

Norcal
09-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Ray

Ray I don't think you have to have a commercial lic to maintain say a condo complex or a apartment complex as as long as you don't do any improvements such as grade dig or set grade look into it by contacting places you may want to work or are set up to do. There are outfits here that Maintain churches,Mini marts, and apartment complexes without having a contractors lic most don't have insurance not even liability. I have been asked to submit bids on a couple quick stops the guy who does it know doesn't have a contractors lic all they are having you bid is mow edge trim deadhead blow and adjust and replace sprinkler heads I.E. the same thing you are doing know only on a larger scale

Also around here there isn't a hole lot of loyalty in commercial they usually re open bidding around Jan-Feb Some only do 3 to 6 month contracts so they can get the next cheep be careful and good luck

Paineless Creations
09-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Where do you guys mostly buy your Coverage insurance, I have a Business License (sole proprietorship).
But doing a bid on a commercial account apartment complex and looking to get coverage if I break a window or hit some kid in the forehead with a rock. I heard 2,000,000 is good but do you think $1,000,000 will do and how much are you guys paying for that. It is just me and my wife

Norcal
09-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Where do you guys mostly buy your Coverage insurance, I have a Business License (sole proprietorship).
But doing a bid on a commercial account apartment complex and looking to get coverage if I break a window or hit some kid in the forehead with a rock. I heard 2,000,000 is good but do you think $1,000,000 will do and how much are you guys paying for that. It is just me and my wife

Most only require $1,000,000 some will not even look at your bid unless you have 2 mil ag bigger usually means more I don't actually know the the name of the company I got the quote from look on line for company's in your area get several quotes

Nor Cal