PDA

View Full Version : I can't hardly read this forum.

dlingner
08-25-2010, 01:04 PM
Man, I can't hardly read this forum. By the time you get past all the ads, and to content... the posts don't start with post number one... you have to go to the end to find the beginning? Am I missing something?

Dave

Steve
08-25-2010, 05:05 PM
I wonder if that happens with everyone. Maybe it's a setting I need to change somewhere.

When you are looking at the individual post, there is a section at the right along the brown bar called "display modes." You should be able to change the setting to linear mode from hybrid.

Try that out and see if that works.

Ok, I just changed a setting and now it should be fixed. If you have any further problems, let me know.

NewLeafca
08-25-2010, 09:43 PM
I had somewhat of the same problem I think when I started. The welcome email I got though sent me to a place where I could customize settings and it let me change the way I few threads. So this may be your problem. I think if you go to the user CP you can change settings there. It does seem like there are more ads now then when I started but the ads help keep the forum free and I don't mind them. If you want to give Steve a million dollars to run the forum I'm sure he will take it and the ads will disappear LOL. Any way as far as the way the forum is set up if you go to the CP you can set it up to better help suit your needs.

Hedgemaster
08-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Man, I can't hardly read this forum. By the time you get past all the ads, and to content... the posts don't start with post number one... you have to go to the end to find the beginning? Am I missing something?

Dave

Yes, go to your "User CP" (far left, near top of screen)
Look for "Edit Options"
Look for "Thread Display"
Look for "Thread Display Mode"

I set mine on "Linear - Oldest First". That puts the original post (OP) "first".

Default must be the opposite way, 'cuz I was all screwed up when I first signed up here.

Steve
08-26-2010, 01:07 AM
There are many many setting on here and I only mess with a few of them, but I think I was able to change a setting so that problem doesnt exist anymore.

It should take away the hybrid option and only leave the linear one.

The linear one seems to be the only readable option really. Or maybe it's just a personal preference of mine.

I do hope this is resolved now.

picframer
08-26-2010, 05:41 AM
Steve, you must have changed something as Linear is the only option available and not one I personally like.

dlingner
08-26-2010, 08:46 AM
Hedgemaster... that worked. I don't think I ever set anything up that way. Newest post first may be the default mode... I don't know. But anyway thanks, that worked. Concerning ads. I think it is a little overkill. I have a forum of my own with a few thousand members... it is not expensive. But Steve is a good guy and and a good business man. He can do what he has to do. But you only see ads above the fold (without scrolling down) on this forum, and that is a little much I think. You have to scroll down to see any content.

Dave

dlingner
08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Basically in reviewing the site layout.. the BIG obstacle is that huge google ad box. I can't believe it contributes much revenue to Steve, and it takes folks away from HIS site. He has alot of great tools here, and IMHO I think that ad is a distraction. A wide, thin banner would be much better there.

Dave

Steve
08-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Steve, you must have changed something as Linear is the only option available and not one I personally like.

When I look at threads it shows the oldest first and I have to scroll down to see the newer ones.

What do you see?

Ultimately what is ideal? Oldest first, newest first? Hybrid, linear?

dlingner
08-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey Steve. The problem I was having was remedied in the control panel. My settings were set at linear recent most first and I had to change it to oldest post first. If you can change that default setting to oldest first, that I think would be best. that is assuming that I did not by mistake at some time select that option myself.

You might keep linear as default but give folks the opportunity to choose display modes as they did before. I never tried any of the other display modes, so I cannot compare.

Dave