PDA

View Full Version : push mowing

Billz
10-04-2006, 11:33 AM
I am going to start advertising push mowing for next year. With the ground all mushy this year, i have picked up 4 new customers already who requested this type of mowing... Would I want to try to set this up as a seperate name, or just use my company name? I do not want to push mow all my current customers, and would like to advertise this in the newspaper and everywhere as "tired of your lawn company driving their big mowers on your small lawn?" do you think this could be seperated from my company?

tiedeman
10-04-2006, 12:29 PM
I would only target lawns 5,000 or less. I wouldn't market it in the papers, instead direct mail market it to select customers in select neighborhoods that you want. It would be better to have "many" customers on the same street, compared to spreading them out all over. Because if you think about, lawns that are tiny that are spread apart, really don't make as much money on them, compared to larger lawns, or lawns grouped together.

In the last 3 years I have not used a push mower, I actually got rid of my last 21" this past spring. I did have 3 of them. But sure as heck, as soon as I got rid of it, a potential customer contacted me for an estimate. She had a fenced in small (approx 2,000 sq ft) lawn, of where only a 21" could get into. I unfortunately had to turn her down, because I could not see that it would be worth it to buy a $600 push mower for that one lawn. BUT....because of her, I am starting to look around for other lawns in her area that I can offer mowing too of where I could use a 21" mower, and thus be able to do hers at the same time

Billz
10-04-2006, 04:23 PM
Well, that is a good idea...but I am big enough that most areas here in town I am nearby at one time during the week...I think most of the people who would be more interested in push mowing would be the older people, and they seem to be the majority of who still read the local newspaper. I might try to market it in the paper this fall for next season, and also have some fliers made up over the winter to target the better areas in the spring.

John/Logo-Mechanix
10-05-2006, 07:52 AM
I think flyers and newspaper advertising is a good idea, I would also consider door hangers to distribute in the neighborhoods you already go to. This kind of advertising could be selective in that the only people who get them are the people you give them to.

Steve
10-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Quote[/b] ]do you think this could be seperated from my company?
I would think you wouldn't want to separate this. It could just be offered as a more personalized service. Maybe one that you could charge a premium for. Point out how your company stands out by offering such services.

tiedeman
10-13-2006, 05:57 PM
I do know some companies that do have seperate setups. It seems to work for them very well. But to me, it would be confusing. But perhaps it might be better to have seperate setups because then the scheduling, equipment, etc wouldn't be a headache