PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a letter to send to get customers?

reel green lawn
08-19-2010, 07:44 PM
I am just getting started. I am a firefighter that can't get any more over-time and had to do something to feed my 5 kids. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Perry

NewLeafca
08-19-2010, 08:12 PM
I am just getting started. I am a firefighter that can't get any more over-time and had to do something to feed my 5 kids. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
Perry

I am assuming that you are not giving up your full time job. It's just that the government is now cutting back and you are looking for a few extra bucks. If this is correct then I would just start out in your own neighborhood. Look on this forum under the template section and you should find something suitable for you. I have found out that even though it is somewhat of a cut throat business if you are just looking to make a little extra income on the side you will do weal to make a few small fliers on your computer and target your surrounding area.

TouchtonsCLC
08-19-2010, 09:31 PM
Some things that have worked really well for us (we've only been in it a year):

Craigslist

Business cards (very inexpensive at vistaprint dot com). Ours say "your free quote is on the back", and we have stuck them on doors or mailboxes in neighborhoods we want to work in.

hounddog
08-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Some things that have worked really well for us (we've only been in it a year):

Craigslist

Business cards (very inexpensive at vistaprint dot com). Ours say "your free quote is on the back", and we have stuck them on doors or mailboxes in neighborhoods we want to work in.

Mailboxes are federal property and sticking things on or in them is not a good idea unless you get WRITTEN permission from the postmaster

TouchtonsCLC
08-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Mailboxes are federal property and sticking things on or in them is not a good idea unless you get WRITTEN permission from the postmaster

It seems you're right! I always thought that ON the mailbox was okay, but I guess not:

http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm_old/D041.pdf

However, no one said anything about the newspaper box ;)

christopherhicks82
08-20-2010, 12:47 AM
newspaper boxes are a bad idea too they are property of the newspaper company you could get sued.

Steve
08-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi Perry,

Did you check the free template section here?
http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

There are a bunch of letters.

Something that came to mind though is, what if you named your lawn care business something that either included a reference to having 5 kids or being a firefighter?

You could play up both of those angles to get people to choose you for lawn care.

Maybe you could experiment an in your letter, explain your situation. That might get people to connect with you and want to hire you in order to feel good that they are helping.