PDA

View Full Version : New Guy From Southwest MI

Lowrent
08-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Hello everyone,

New guy here from Michigan. I lost a great paying factory job a couple of years ago and realized that there isn't much out there that is going to pay me what I used to make. I love working outside and have done a bit of farming on the side so I thought that the lawn care business might be something I could make a living at and enjoy.

My dad ran an ad in our local newspaper a couple a few years ago and ended up getting more work than he wanted after the first year. He got out of lawn care a couple years later because he didn't want to be too busy after he retired.

So I thought that I would give the Lawn Care Business a try and see what happens. I have a lawn scape trailer, 48" White Hydrostatic mower, weed trimmer and leaf blower. I thought about going out and getting a Commercial Zero Turn that I could pay cash for but I want to see how much business I start getting before I spend my money.

I plan on doing some internet advertising as well as some ads in our local newspapers. I am going to make up some fliers geared toward the "weekender" lake house owners.

I would appreciate any advice that people have to offer. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and on the internet. Knowledge is the key!

Thanks,

Lowrent

hounddog
08-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Hello everyone,

New guy here from Michigan. I lost a great paying factory job a couple of years ago and realized that there isn't much out there that is going to pay me what I used to make. I love working outside and have done a bit of farming on the side so I thought that the lawn care business might be something I could make a living at and enjoy.

My dad ran an ad in our local newspaper a couple a few years ago and ended up getting more work than he wanted after the first year. He got out of lawn care a couple years later because he didn't want to be too busy after he retired.

So I thought that I would give the Lawn Care Business a try and see what happens. I have a lawn scape trailer, 48" White Hydrostatic mower, weed trimmer and leaf blower. I thought about going out and getting a Commercial Zero Turn that I could pay cash for but I want to see how much business I start getting before I spend my money.

I plan on doing some internet advertising as well as some ads in our local newspapers. I am going to make up some fliers geared toward the "weekender" lake house owners.

I would appreciate any advice that people have to offer. I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum and on the internet. Knowledge is the key!

Thanks,

Lowrent

Welcome,
My wife and I own Lawn and Order LLC out in the Ann Arbor area. My advice is to go llc right away to protect your self it only cost 50 to set up and 25 a year in Michigan

Steve
08-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Welcome to our forum!

If you are going to be servicing homes around lakes, have you thought about other services you could offer too? Could you pull their piers out of the water at the end of the season? Could you pull their boats out? How about using that shrink rap on them as well?

As you start talking to your customers, I bet you find a lot more services you could offer.

Lowrent
08-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Great ideas Steve. Those are things that I am certainly going to consider offering. I have also thought about offering a service to winterize their cottages with things such as removing water and adding antifreeze to their pipes and opening them back up in the spring.

Another great service to offer some of the older people in the winter is handling their Christmas lights. Most seniors don't want to take the risk of getting up on a ladder to string their lights or are no longer physically capable.

Just a few things to think about.

Steve
08-21-2010, 03:31 PM
Oh yea, all those ideas are great! When will you start promoting them?