PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a nice way to dump a client

TouchtonsCLC
08-18-2010, 05:27 PM
It's been a battle with Client from day one, and Client is the only lawn I service in this area of town. How do I dump Client and save my reputation? Client is arguing with prices, again, and I'm not willing to accomodate Client anymore.

:confused:

TouchtonsCLC
08-18-2010, 05:34 PM
I appreciate your concern over pricing of clean-up. I feel that we are a very competitive lawn care company, and assure you that we charge under what the market allows in City. Unfortunately, while I value your business, I cannot accomodate your request for a price reduction.

picframer
08-18-2010, 06:07 PM
I appreciate your concern over pricing of clean-up. I feel that we are a very competitive lawn care company, and assure you that we charge under what the market allows in City. Unfortunately, while I value your business, I cannot accomodate your request for a price reduction.

I am assuming you haven't this project.

On behalf of my company (company name) I would like to thank you for the opportunity to provide you with a quotation for the clean up of your property.

We take pride in our work and based on customer feedback the quality of our work reflects this. I understand you have concerns over the pricing in our quotation and we respect this, I trust you will also respect we offer competitive pricing and our quotations are final.

We are aware there may be other companies willing to cut corners in order to offer better pricing however cutting corners is not the direction of our company.

We wish you well and should you require services in the future, do not hesitate to contact us.

TouchtonsCLC
08-18-2010, 07:34 PM
We've already done the work for him. He was quoted for a flat clean-up price early in the season, and was agreeable. But now he's not happy AFTER the work is complete.

Our history with this client is that he reduced his service from bi-weekly to 1x per month, and I didn't change his price to reflect all the growth that I'm cutting now. Secondly, he's the only client in that area that we have (nearest client is 10+ miles away).

Here's what I have now:

I appreciate your concern over pricing of clean-up. Touchton's is a very competitive lawn care company, and I assure you that we charge under what the market allows in Jacksonville. Unfortunately, while I value your business, I cannot honor your request for a price reduction or further work for no charge. Therefore, our invoice to you will stand as is."

And I really want to say:

"ANOTHER LAWN CARE COMPANY" operates out of your area. I feel that they may be able to better price work in your neighborhood, as they have an extensive clientele list there. While I would hate to see you go, I want you to be happy, and I cannot accommodate a price reduction at this time.

But not sure if I should. My goal is to let client go without harming our reputation. Perhaps I shouldn't look at it that way, but I really want to stand-out in customer relations.

picframer
08-19-2010, 05:11 AM
I would probably take out the "charge less than other companies" and fire it off. Do you have anything at all in writing or email or is it just a verbal quote?

If we give quotes, it is always followed up via email so that everyone is on the same page. I haven't yet run into anyone with no email but if I did, I would have them initial a quote form.

TouchtonsCLC
08-19-2010, 06:58 PM
It was a verbal explanation of flat-rate (per hour) pricing. I've cleaned-up for him twice before with no problems.

Here was my e-mail to Client:
I appreciate the opportunity to work for you, as well as your concern over pricing of clean-up. Touchton's is a very competitive lawn care company, and I assure you that we charge under what the market allows in Jacksonville. If you think the price is unfair, simply pay for the basic mowing service and we will consider your account closed - status as paid in full.

Client's Response:
Thanks for the prompt response. I donít think the price is unfair. I am generally very happy with the yard service thus far. The lawn service is $30 and well worth it. I just donít agree with the $20 for what was done on clean up, just donít feel I got my moneyís worth on that part of the job.

Where do I go from here? Again, I'm losing money with this client and I want to let client go.

picframer
08-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Geeze man, what does someone expect for twenty bucks, probably costs you that much to drive there. Since it's the only client in the area at the moment, I simply would not respond, I suspect it's what he wants. You stated you side in a very professional manner, I would just move on.

Steve
08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
How has this experience effected your views of customers and possibly they way you screen them?

TouchtonsCLC
08-20-2010, 01:48 PM
How has this experience effected your views of customers and possibly they way you screen them?

Right now, we're not screening them because we're new, we're trying to build a base, and trying to learn the ropes. I know that I won't work in certain neighborhoods, but beyond that I don't know.

Does anyone else pre-screen potential clients? How do you do it?

Steve
08-21-2010, 02:00 PM
There are a bunch of discussions on prescreening customers on here. Here is one post, but there are a bunch more http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=1055

tjgray
01-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Any customer that would make an issue of $20 is not one I would want:rolleyes:

Prairieboy43
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Tell them" it's been nice working with you, good luck." mow on:)

mark123
07-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Any customer that would make an issue of $20 is not one I would want:rolleyes:
I have one that made an issue over $6. She's on the chopping block.

shadrach
07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Sounds like he owes you the $20 - make him pay it. If you need to drop him because you are not making on him then explain it to him exactly that way - explain that it isn't personal & that its a business decision & move on.
wouldn't worry about it damaging reputation.

bruces
07-29-2011, 09:40 PM
if your only issue with kicking him to the curb is your reputation ,send him a nice email stating that upon further reflexion ,your vehicle burns too much gas to warrant a 10 mile drive out of your usual service area .It might be nice to recommend another lawnboy in his area .

Ducke
07-30-2011, 04:29 PM
It's been a battle with Client from day one, and Client is the only lawn I service in this area of town. How do I dump Client and save my reputation? Client is arguing with prices, again, and I'm not willing to accomodate Client anymore.

:confused:

Have you ever thought of keeping the PIA customer and expanding your customer base in this area of town and then as you do you can phase him out.
All customers are important but if you can take this negative and make it positive but increasing your customer base in a new area you win and the PIA customer won't seem so much of a pain.

lxarth
09-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I think your email was enough. I'm shocked that you dropped the $20 though. I would have simply said that he has agreed on the $20, and expect him to pay.

Just keep it professional, and like brucessaid, you can just explain that his area of town is very far away, and you have to focus on client closer in.

Look at it from a cost standpoint anyways. 10 miles, there and back, is costing you probably $8 in gas. The TIME you spend driving that far, and back to your normal area is around 40 min. You could service another customer with that drive time alone, so right there you just lost another $30.

Just add it up. Be nice, and just drip him.

nickeckes
09-17-2011, 02:42 AM
I had a client Complain About a $5.00 increase. . At the beginging of this year, I wrote a nice letter to all my clients saying due to fuel increases and maintaince increases i will be raising your cutting rate $5.00 on top of what you were normaly paying

so if they were paying $10.00. now its $15.00 a Cut

if they were paying $40.00, now its $45.00.

and ECT..

Well i had 8 houses all on the same block(within walking from yard to yard and never had to unload reload the trailer), almost every lawn on that block i charged between $20-$25 a cut besides this one lady I charged her only $10.00. . Why did i charge her that you may ask?? she was my 1st client on that steet(and i had a good feeling i would pick up other clients on this street, All older women in there 60s-80s years of age) and it only took me 10-15min to cut her grass, start to finish.. .

well needless to say she called me after getting my letter and said $5.00 was to big of a price increase and that its really unfair and that she was going to talk to her daughter to see what she thinks about it.. .. . So shes complaining about a $15.00 lawn cut!!

Anyways, i cut her lawn for about 2 months this year @ the $15.00 a cut. . (she was a call when needed cut) and id just cut it the same day i cut everyone else on the block when she called to have me cut it. .well she hasnt called in weeks now. . so i guess the $15.00 a cut was to much for her(maybe she should sell her cadillac) i know she had the money. . but anyways i dont know whos cutting it now, and neither do i care. . im not going to chase that client back for $15.00 . .

Just a little story i thought id share because im bored hahahah

bruces
09-17-2011, 08:33 AM
just making sure you realise your new fees gave the lady a 50% increase per cut , which as a consumer seems like a pretty big jump .I bet your "extra" costs to service this property this season are not even 50 cents extra per cut depending on your equipment used .

nickeckes
09-17-2011, 11:04 PM
With the fuel prices jumping this year. . and to charge 10 bucks that isnt alot!! she was my only client out of the 50 clients i have that complained. . .