PDA

View Full Version : Promoting/Advertising

picframer
08-18-2010, 05:05 PM
As many know I have post cards that I use as business cards as people tend to know loose them, I have a general card which covers all our services and one card that is specific with a service. What I and most of the staff do as they are driving by a property that could use a service we offer, they leave a card.

Monday of last I was checking in on a crew in a subdivision we do a lot of work in, as I entered I noticed a new road had been built. Anyhow visited with staff, talked to the client and started to leave when it struck me, I should leave wood cutting and chipping cards on each lot that has a for sale sign, find out who the developer is and send them an intro letter explaining we can clear the lot, chip the trees, build a driveway, dig the foundation, build the septic field and landscape when the house is done, which I did.

So I left a card on every lot for sale next to the For Sale sign, today I was by as I have a tree crew a few streets over, I decided to drive in this new road and noticed a person cutting the trees for a driveway, stopped and talked, it was the owner but he wanted to cut the trees himself, bought a new saw, didn't realize how hard it was, didn't realize he couldn't burn the brush or bury it, chipping was the only option, anyhow I have a crew going there tomorrow and he will work with them.

On the way out I noticed another sold sign and left a card beside it, looks like the owner started to clear the lot and gave up, I know this as he called an hour ago and once we are done with the fellow I met today, he wants his lot done.

Granted we make goo money cutting and chipping however the bucks is in the road construction, digging foundations and landscaping. So for me the intro is the chipping which I will low ball a bit, still make good money but the competition that only offers this one service can't touch my prices, this gives me a foot up on the other services, the one fellow I met with said the road, foundation and landscaping is ours assuming the tree work goes well.

Here is the card I use along with an image of the lot and beside the sold sign is where my card is.

I realize this may not be for all of us here however keep an eye on new developments.

http://www.oakridgeyardcare.ca/Business_Cards_for_Service.php

cleancutlawncare5382
08-19-2010, 04:39 AM
I really like your post cards. Seems like they target exactly what the client may need.
Where did you have them made? Did you design them?

picframer
08-19-2010, 04:49 AM
I really like your post cards. Seems like they target exactly what the client may need.
Where did you have them made? Did you design them?

I use Vista Print, the quality is top notch and the prices are IMHO very cheap. Some are images that I took or found, some are in their templates, each card has wording on the back which explains all of our services, some are black and white however my main card is color both sides. They have worked very well for us, what I find because they are larger is many clients put them on their fridge, not only does the client see the card but friends of the client.

Steve
08-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Andy,

Those are great stories!

Do you ever wonder in such situations where there is just a for sale sign, you could use one of those lawn pesticide sign holders and stick your postcard in them?

Something like this? That way maybe it would stand out and not blow away? Or is that not an issue?

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/using-pesticides-in-landscaping-1.jpg

picframer
08-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I suspect I would get in trouble or a larger sign may offend the developer or new property owner. If we are doing the job however we need to get some friggin signs made. You see a wood crew has a truck but people are out walking at night when we are not there and we have no sinage that we are doing the job, I hear more and more from staff and clients, "Why don't you have yard signs" honest answer is I haven't needed them but it is something that will take place next year.

Steve
08-20-2010, 10:23 AM
I bet some lawn signs and business card holders attached to it would really do well.

Do you think you would go with a couple of different lawn signs or try one at first?

picframer
08-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I bet some lawn signs and business card holders attached to it would really do well.

Do you think you would go with a couple of different lawn signs or try one at first?

We need one for Landscaping as people rave about what we do and customers keep asking with all this equipment why don't you have your name on it for when you are not here in the evenings when people are out walking...which is true, one for pressure washing and for now one for wood clearing and chipping.

All the vehicles and trailers are lettered but not the equipment and sometimes equipment can be on a site for over a week.

Steve
08-21-2010, 02:15 PM
All the vehicles and trailers are lettered but not the equipment and sometimes equipment can be on a site for over a week.

What's kept you from doing that so far?

Maybe something like this would get the kids thinking of you.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_XdP6Lp2ceqY/StoEGIb7i5I/AAAAAAAABXM/A8nwG41xphY/s400/giraffe.jpg

picframer
08-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Now if I could turn that into a Deere:) Honestly just never got around to it as we have been busy and most of the time too busy since day 1.

Steve
08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Well, I guess it could be put on the list of things to do when things slow down in winter maybe?