PDA

View Full Version : My Friend

CHEESE2009
08-17-2010, 10:35 PM
So I usually see this guy cutting a couple of my neighbors lawns, he runs his own show and has been for 20 years or so. One day we talked and ever since we've been bumping into eachother regularly.

Long story short, we help eachother out all the time now. We didn't merge exactly, were just eachothers best free employees.

To make things more interesting....

Another business owner asked me to do the same with him, as we have also built a good friendship through working together for a box store as evening work.

ANDDDD the company I worked for years back called me today saying they also need help, they lost a crew overnight.

What am I supposed to do?
I'm sticking with the first guy, gonna ask him if he's interested in doing the other companies run....

It's incredibly strange right now.

Steve
08-18-2010, 08:57 AM
It makes you wonder, do all these people talk to each other and know you have limited time and therefor want more of your time, or is it that maybe you project a different vibe when you are busy, that you don't need any extra work.

When you project it, does everyone read it and want more of you?

LawnMoore
08-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Sometimes we have to learn to say NO, to what ever isnt paying enough, even if its my lawns, sometimes i have ppl say hey ill give you 30 to mow and weedeat, and i just have to say no thats not enough for me to mow and weedeat.

If you get a chance to work on somones books and hold off on your business, wouldnt you still have to be paying for insurance and all the neccessary taxes for your business?

Thats a hard place your at, dont wear yourself out!

Steve
08-19-2010, 08:50 AM
If you get a chance to work on somones books and hold off on your business, wouldnt you still have to be paying for insurance and all the neccessary taxes for your business?

It also takes time away from you growing your business and making new contacts as the owner of your business.

Ultimately we gotta do what we gotta do to push forwards and make it through another day. But these are things to keep in mind.

lawncrafter56
08-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Just a friendly wave is all BRAND X gets from me.:) Glad things are going well for you BREEZE

TouchtonsCLC
08-19-2010, 09:28 PM

I imagine a 1099-misc from the other guy to you is in order if the income is on his books.

CHEESE2009
08-21-2010, 03:11 PM
UPDATE - This business owner does not do quality work. He doesn't care for making nice straight lines but rather drive all over the lawn until all the grass has been cut... looks very bad compare to my work. NOWWWWW..... gotta find the right words to say to have him leave me be.... he thinks he is the master, but I seriously think he's mistaken.... He will drive in circles or criss cross all over the damn lawns making a disgusting look to them.

I quit my second job on good terms (2 days left).. now i feel like taking on more business. Too bad the ZTM is in the shop.. i ripped out the damn choke!!!!!!

Steve
08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Scott,

Do you think there are lessons that have been learned by working with these other people?