PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

yrd man
08-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Hello

I am starting out small. Ford f-150 with a trailer, a good walk behind mower and a Sears Rider. Barrels,rakes,blower,shovel, just the basics. I have about 14 accounts residential, 1 commercial and one industrial, mostly from over the internet. I have 5 more possibilities in the pipeline. A few of my accounts have been less than straightforward and am thinking of dumping them. I am pretty much keeping it to straightforward mowing services at this point. When I hire a guy next year maybe I can do more. I am starting out late in this business, in my 40's. Was swept out of a machining job last year after 16 years with the same outfit. Gas and mix is killing my wallet, oh well !

Steve
08-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Welcome to our forum!

A few of my accounts have been less than straightforward and am thinking of dumping them.

What kinds of situations have you run into with these clients? What learning experience do you feel they were able to gain from dealing with them?

Gas and mix is killing my wallet, oh well !

Do you feel you are charging these customers enough? As you ad new ones, are you trying to raise your prices a bit or what is your view on all this?

StartALawnCareBusiness
09-03-2010, 11:44 PM
With gasoline prices still at $2.50 per gallon or higher it is as important as ever to group your customers properly.

Customer density is something you really need to think about. Doing it properly will dramatically boost your income without adding much to your expenses.

Gasoline costs will kill your income if you're driving all over town to service one customer at a time.

Keith

rbljack
09-07-2010, 04:36 AM
I want to thank everyone on the site for their help! this is my first post, but I've been around the website for over a year. One thing that REALLY helps is grouping yoru customers. I have 4 customers on ONE street! It started with one, and then the neighbors asked..then there were 4 all within a quarter mile. This saves SO much in gas money when you dont have to drive around. If you have a customer on a block, let them know they are welcome to pass along yoru contact information to the neighbors. Or, maybe go to the neighbors yourself and provide your information! Networking and saving gas all in one shot. I now have 12 customers, and hope to increase that next year. Keep in mind that in my area (texas) the busiest time of year is June and July (dependent on rainfall and temps of course), so having your customers grouped not only saves gas money, but DRIVE time as well! Hope this helps.

Rob