PDA

View Full Version : Christmas lights

hounddog
08-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I am thinking about installing Christmas lights this year. Any ideas on pricing would be great. I am in Michigan so snow and ice can add to the danger

MountainViewGreenskeeper
08-13-2010, 02:36 AM
I am thinking about installing Christmas lights this year. Any ideas on pricing would be great. I am in Michigan so snow and ice can add to the danger

I used to do it charged by the light. Didnt make much money then but was in high school so didnt matter. So I really couldnt tell you if per light is a prudent method.

Steve
08-13-2010, 05:21 AM
There is a bunch of content on this if you search, but one of the ways to really keep it simple is to base it on time.

Will they be providing the lights or will you? Would you rent them? Or sell them?

Then you could decorate your home. Keep track of how much time it takes to perform the different lighting.

You can then use that information when you are out there estimating jobs.

picframer
08-13-2010, 06:04 AM
There is a bunch of content on this if you search, but one of the ways to really keep it simple is to base it on time.

Will they be providing the lights or will you? Would you rent them? Or sell them?

Then you could decorate your home. Keep track of how much time it takes to perform the different lighting.

You can then use that information when you are out there estimating jobs.

We looked at this a year ago, my goal was not so much the lights, they were a foot in the door, what the goal was snow removal and a card explaining what we could do in the spring. Local fire departments however offer this service and I am almost certain if memory serves me the money goes to something called Christmas Daddy's, a program to give children less fortunate gifts at Christmas. There is still a market but where I am it's very small based on my research and the demand is in the city where we do not work for a host of reasons.

Steve
08-14-2010, 07:24 AM
Andy,

Do you think it is ever worth it to make some extraodinary holiday lighting decoration scene on your property/home to get people to drive by it? Make it a spectacle and then use that as marketing for your lawn care / snow plowing business?

Possibly even hosting a town outdoor holiday lighting decoration contest too?

hounddog
08-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Andy,

Do you think it is ever worth it to make some extraodinary holiday lighting decoration scene on your property/home to get people to drive by it? Make it a spectacle and then use that as marketing for your lawn care / snow plowing business?

I am going to but as I live an hour away from the people who's lawns I service the exposure is limited. I keep my equipment at my parents house close to where i cut but they are hidden so only one person drives past there house to get home also. I might do my Grandparents house something to think about

picframer
08-15-2010, 05:44 AM
Andy,

That is an excellent idea and many companies here do this however I do not want people coming to my home that I do not know, just too much stuff here. It might be an idea however to do a home that is in a high traffic area and put a lawn sign out.

Steve
08-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Thats a very good point and something to keep in mind when considering this.