PDA

View Full Version : Stihl KombiSystem

MountainViewGreenskeeper
08-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Does anyone know much about this system or even use it? Im looking maybe getting another set of equipment and this might fit my bill and also save a lot of money doing it. Priced out the Kombi and the same equipment seperate and there is about $550 in savings and only 1 motor to up keep on.

So I was wondering any imput you guy had on it. Usually when something get combined like this you lose quality or performance some where. But Stihl is a great company so Im aprehensive about thinking that way.

So here is my list: KM 90, Hedge Trimmer, Straight line trimmer, Blower, and Edger.

Lol also does any one know the benifits to having a straight shaft over curved for an edger. There is a $88 difference between the two.

picframer
08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
We have two of the Kombi systems powered by the KM130's, we use it for pruning, sweeping, edging, mini cultivator and we have the line trimmers for backup or if we are on large job sites however for trimming we use the FS310's with the comfort hardness which is worth it's weight in gold, for blowing the BR600's, brush the FS550's, hedges the HS86's and I have an old Deere walk behind edger.

Never had an issue yet with this system and it is used 6 days a week this time of the year by a variety of staff for a variety of jobs, it is an amazing pruning saw.

I think for a small or even med sized company looking to save some cash, this is an excellent option, buy the head and add attachments as needed.

I used the sweeper broom today to clean up some garden soil from a paved driveway, man it took no time at all.

SuperiorPower
08-13-2010, 02:53 PM
I am not a Stihl dealer and have not seen the KombiSystem in person. I do know, that a lot of times if you have a good brand machine the attachments are not a bad idea. I would definitely recommend you avoid the cheaper brands (Craftsman, Ryobi, etc) when it comes to the attachment systems. Not only are the engines not going to hold up, but also the attachment connects (for lack of better way to word it) are not designed as heavy duty. They are of lesser quality and are NOT designed to do more than one yards worth of work per week or every few weeks. It is not designed to work all day, every day.

Stihl's reputation is pretty good. I don't know that they are the best quality machine in all areas that they have products but they are far from the bottom of the heap. I don't know if anyone has a better attachment system.

For those of you who own one, and have owned one for a while, I would suggest you look at this link. Stihl Recalls Kombi Motor Kombi Task Tool Models (http://lawnmowerforum.superiorpowerequip.com/index.php/topic,146.0.html)

majoe7
08-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Mountain,
I posted this a while ago about the Kombi system that I use and love it.

I have a Stihl Kombi KM55R and I love it. I have the trimmer, pole saw and hedge trimmer attachments. I paid $671 for the package with $50 off, container of bar oil, a small pack of line string the dealer threw in for free. It has PAID for itself many times over already. Love Deere. Plus a free Stihl t-shirt. I am thinking of adding the tiller but was leery of getting it. My thinking is that it would be a lot of pressure on the attachment rod inside the pole, heating up and maybe deteriorating the rod, not too sure.

I hope this helps. I remember that Justin ( JustINTime) has or had one.

John

Thanks Eli For the post on the recall. My #'s don't fall in the range. Good to hear from our Gopher Equipment Tech. Your are Superior.

lukus223
08-14-2010, 12:10 AM
My stihl dealer steered me away from the system. The recommend getting at FS 90 or 110 and purchasing the attachments that swap off the tip. They say it will hold up longer and deliver more power. No blower attachment is available, but I prefer the back pack Husq I have. Has anyone foregone the Kombi and used the FS and changed out the tips?

justin_time
08-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Mountain,

I hope this helps. I remember that Justin ( JustINTime) has or had one.

I still do, and I still have it going. I have most of the attachements except for the soil cultivator, and the power sweeper.

My fav attachement is the blower. It's currently my only blower that i got and it works fine for whatever i need to blow off the hard surfaces. Works like a charm

LawnMoore
08-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Cant go wrong there. eqiupment is machinnery, and mechanical. So, i cant say it wont break down or blow up under wrong circumstances, but the stihl brand has never failed me

One time a vibrating part came off from the tremendous horsepower against demanding oversize challenges..

But it got the job done without the mufler!

The key was it was the commercial line of their equipment. But im not saying all equipment is equal either, because i know from experience, to me, stihl is just the very best.

If stihl made a commercial Ztr i would own one.

;) if you love <"(((*><

MountainViewGreenskeeper
08-14-2010, 12:04 PM
I still do, and I still have it going. I have most of the attachements except for the soil cultivator, and the power sweeper.

My fav attachement is the blower. It's currently my only blower that i got and it works fine for whatever i need to blow off the hard surfaces. Works like a charm

If anything I was waiting for justin's reply cause I did search the site for comments about it and saw a few but nothing current. How long have you had it now? last post I saw was late 07 so almost 3 years no problem?

justin_time
08-14-2010, 12:19 PM
If anything I was waiting for justin's reply cause I did search the site for comments about it and saw a few but nothing current. How long have you had it now? last post I saw was late 07 so almost 3 years no problem?

I had it since 2007 I believe and i had $200 off since I had won a gift certificate. I am looking to get a new/spare motor head for future considerations. I think mine currently a valve job but other than that, still works fine even tough i broke the inside connector for the attachments lol

picframer
08-14-2010, 07:32 PM
I had it since 2007 I believe and i had $200 off since I had won a gift certificate. I am looking to get a new/spare motor head for future considerations. I think mine currently a valve job but other than that, still works fine even tough i broke the inside connector for the attachments lol

I am curious how in the heck you managed to brake that?

justin_time
08-14-2010, 08:01 PM
I am curious how in the heck you managed to brake that?

I bent the little bracket that you see looks like an L shape then I went to insert my attachment one time and then i noticed it broke.

http://uk.catalog.stihl.com/upload/produkte/images/ausstattung/kupplung.jpg

MountainViewGreenskeeper
08-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Still doesnt say how it was broke if you even know.... how much did it cost to fix if you did or even need to fix it.